Conflict Between Tall RAM and CPU Heatseak

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TimG

Conflict Between Tall RAM and CPU Heatseak

Post by TimG » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:54 pm

I am building a P8P67 Pro + 2600 system with 8G RAM for use as a work and gaming machine.

I was planning on a Mugen Rev 2 heatsink.

I want to use 2 sticks of 1600MHz RAM because my current mobo (ASUS) has had a lot of problems with 4 sticks.
I am hoping to avoid those issues with a 2 stick solution. I would also like the option of upgrading to 16G later.

Trouble is the RAM that is used successfully by others for this type of system has tall heatsinks (e.g. G.Skill Ripjaw or Corsair Vengence) that physically interfer with fan on large CPU heat sinks.

I am not overclocking and the noisiest component will be the graphics card (AMD 6970 or equivalent) so the CPU cooler is likely overkill. I want to buy the CPU cooler because of prior bad experience with crappy stock fans that get really loud as they age. I would rather pay my PC builder to install a high quality cooler now than have to worry about replacing a fan in the future.

So my question is: are their better options than Mugen that would not conflict with the RAM slots but provide low noise and long life?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Conflict Between Tall RAM and CPU Heatseak

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 am

If you must use tall heatspreader RAM (don't support em by buying it!), then you should look for tall, wide and thin heatsink... and maybe plan on mounting the fan after the RAM. Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C might work. The smaller Coolermaster 212 will probably work better -- comes w/ fan (tho not great) and a lot cheaper.

fumino

Post by fumino » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:05 am

you could always go with mushkin, and not have any issues with fit or performance.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:04 am

TimG wrote:So my question is: are their better options than Mugen that would not conflict with the RAM slots but provide low noise and long life?

The Thermalright Archon is made for this: but I second MikeC, don't support those fancy (euphemism) heatspreaders.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 pm

You're Welcome :)

Scythe Susanoo CPU Cooler Has Four 120mm Fans And Twelve Heatpipes

Read more: http://www.madshrimps.be/news/item/77658#ixzz1FZKRZI9K

Oh and don't forget

http://www.nofencomputer.com/eng/

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:06 pm

I'm using a Mugen 2b with 4 Ripjaws modules. The fan clips will slide upward enough to clear the protrusions.

With the top of the fan even with the heatpipe caps, it just barely hovers over the Ripjaws and can go up a little further if you want.

oldabelincoln

Re: Conflict Between Tall RAM and CPU Heatseak- try the HR-0

Post by oldabelincoln » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:38 pm

I certainly agree with other comments about tall memory sticks. They are pretty pointless, but if you must use them, the Thermalright HR02 is probably your best bet. It is offset towards the back of the case so that the fan should clear the memory. I've not used one, by have a build with the HR01+, which it strongly resembles (other than the offset), and which works great, and was tested by SPCR quite a while ago. The idea is so obvious it's surprising that it's not universal. I hope Mike gets an HR02 to test...

See http://www.thermalright.com/products/?a ... &cat_id=27 and click on the Specs tab for a 3-view.

TimG

Post by TimG » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Thx everyone. I will look at the Thermalrights.

The tall memory comes down to a question of performance. If I lower my expectation (1333 instead of 1600) then I dont need them.
I noticed the mugen has the option of mounting fans on any side.
Would it solve my issue if I mounted the fan on the bottom (in a ATX case) and blew air through the top vent instead of the back?