Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
j386
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Australia

Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by j386 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:21 am

Please see parts list below:
Order 1 (small).jpg

Order 2 (small).jpg


Now, firstly I'm wondering what you guys think about using the CNPS10X cooler? As it will be blowing air upwards in the case, rather than working in the same direction as the natural airflow design of the Lian Li PC-B10B. At first I thought this was going to be a problem, but have since been thinking that maybe it will be a good thing. (Plus I rather like that Zalman :p, lol)

Because I'm using a fanless psu and a fanless graphics card the extra turbulence might be good. It may also encourage air to enter through the power supply rather than using the it as (a poor) exhaust?

Also, are memory timings a point of interest any more? I can't find much real information on it (mostly just people arguing about overclocking). I know you can change the timings easily, but almost all of the RAM I've come across is rated as 9-9-9-27 but the optimal recommendation for the 965 is 8-8-8-24. Will most 9-9-9-27 memory happily run at 8-8-8-24 without too much additional power/heat/errors? If anybody knows of a page with a more mathematical approach to memory timings in relation to current CPU's, please link me. :)

Most of all I would just like you to check over my list and let me know if I've done anything drastically silly (before I spend all of my money, lol). Do you think everything will stay cool enough without running the fans too high? Also, if suggesting alternative parts, please note that I'm already well and truly over budget, so equal or lesser price only, lol. :)

Thanks for any help,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ces
Posts: 3395
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: US

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by ces » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:08 am

[quote="jAlso, are memory timings a point of interest any more? I can't find much real information on it (mostly just people arguing about overclocking). I know you can change the timings easily, but almost all of the RAM I've come across is rated as 9-9-9-27 but the optimal recommendation for the 965 is 8-8-8-24. Will most 9-9-9-27 memory happily run at 8-8-8-24 without too much additional power/heat/errors? If anybody knows of a page with a more mathematical approach to memory timings in relation to current CPU's, please link me.
[/quote] I have been told that times and even speed of memory just isn't that important to performance except that it may help the memory keep up with your computer if you overclock... and that apparently with the new generation of Sandy Bridge chips, memory speed has become even less consequential.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"Aristotle calls man the rational animal. All my life I have been seeking evidence to confirm this" Bertrand Russell
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

Rekonn
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 pm
Location: Cambridge MA

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by Rekonn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:57 am

Article on memory for Sandy Bridge builds below. Shows not much difference at all for CAS latency 8 vs 9, like a fraction of an fps in games.
LINK

Plekto
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by Plekto » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:48 am

Also, since you are guying a very expensive power supply, you just need a metal box for the computer. The single most expensive part in your build list is basically a fancy steel and plastic box. $50 would suffice here. Also, buy it locally as shipping is insane. You'll pay more to ship the case than the rest of the parts combined.

j386
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by j386 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:11 am

ces wrote:I have been told that times and even speed of memory just isn't that important

This is seeming to be the case. Things have changed a lot, lol.

Plekto wrote:Also, since you are guying a very expensive power supply, you just need a metal box for the computer. The single most expensive part in your build list is basically a fancy steel and plastic box. $50 would suffice here. Also, buy it locally as shipping is insane. You'll pay more to ship the case than the rest of the parts combined.

I'm getting the expensive case for a number of reasons but mostly for sound insulation and improved cooling (particularly with low speed fans). I don't mind spending extra on the case because it will never need upgrading. I also find the case very attractive :). Oh, and just to correct you; it's not a "steel and plastic box", it's all aluminium, baby! :P

Also, I am buying it locally :)


Thanks for the replies,

tim851
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: 128.0.0.1

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by tim851 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 am

j386 wrote:I also find the case very attractive :)
And right you are!

j386
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by j386 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Any further advice on my selected components? Sorry, I just want to make sure that I wont regret anything, lol :)

Also, I possibly should have mentioned that this computer will primarily be an audio workstation (hence the graphics card).

Will my RAM fit fine with the "sideways" Zalman cooler? I've tried my best to check everything using the manufacturer's specifications and everything looks like it should fit fine, but it's a bit hard to tell sometimes.

goatsandmonkeys
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 am
Location: new york

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by goatsandmonkeys » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 pm

j386 wrote:I'm getting the expensive case for a number of reasons but mostly for sound insulation and improved cooling (particularly with low speed fans). I don't mind spending extra on the case because it will never need upgrading. I also find the case very attractive :). Oh, and just to correct you; it's not a "steel and plastic box", it's all aluminium, baby! :P
Aluminum does a really poor job of sound insulation. it';s more rigid than steel and therefore transmits sound vibrations better. Also the cooling performance is negligible. They do look really cool.

What do you do with your computer that is resource intensive?
Are you going to be overclocking?
Do you plan on buying a motherboard?
Why two hard drives? how are you planning on setting them up?

j386
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by j386 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:32 am

goatsandmonkeys wrote:What do you do with your computer that is resource intensive?
j386 wrote:this computer will primarily be an audio workstation
Digital audio processing, lots of VST effects and instruments, image editing and some video encoding.
goatsandmonkeys wrote:Are you going to be overclocking?
Nope.
goatsandmonkeys wrote:Do you plan on buying a motherboard?
Yes. Please see my original post, it's the top item on the second section/image of my list. Sorry, I probably should have summarised my list to make it easier to read. I might do that now actually :)
goatsandmonkeys wrote:Why two hard drives?
The RE4 will be used as my working drive and the Green will be backup and media storage. I also have an external drive that is already used for routine backups. My external will be used to routinely backup the entire contents of the Green. Overkill you say? I've lost too many hours of work due to HDD failures and HDD's are so cheap these days it seems ridiculous to not have a second drive. On a previous system, I had my backup and main drive fail at the same time. The Green is probably less reliable than my working drive? That's OK, I'd rather have my backup die before my working drive anyway, and as I stated I will routinely backup the Green to an external drive anyway.

goatsandmonkeys
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 am
Location: new york

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by goatsandmonkeys » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 pm

j386 wrote:
goatsandmonkeys wrote:What do you do with your computer that is resource intensive?
j386 wrote:this computer will primarily be an audio workstation
Digital audio processing, lots of VST effects and instruments, image editing and some video encoding.
goatsandmonkeys wrote:Are you going to be overclocking?
Nope.
goatsandmonkeys wrote:Do you plan on buying a motherboard?
Yes. Please see my original post, it's the top item on the second section/image of my list. Sorry, I probably should have summarised my list to make it easier to read. I might do that now actually :)
goatsandmonkeys wrote:Why two hard drives?
The RE4 will be used as my working drive and the Green will be backup and media storage. I also have an external drive that is already used for routine backups. My external will be used to routinely backup the entire contents of the Green. Overkill you say? I've lost too many hours of work due to HDD failures and HDD's are so cheap these days it seems ridiculous to not have a second drive. On a previous system, I had my backup and main drive fail at the same time. The Green is probably less reliable than my working drive? That's OK, I'd rather have my backup die before my working drive anyway, and as I stated I will routinely backup the Green to an external drive anyway.
missed the second image, my bad.

I don't think it's over kill AT ALL. the only thing is each additional hard drive adds noise. I don't know how much you need for a system drive and how big your projects are, but if you can get rid of the black drive and get a SSD you will have less noise and faster performance. I have a 1tb drive that I back my system on and keep it at my parents house in case of fire.

j386
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Advice on New Build and Air Flow

Post by j386 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:43 am

No further advice or critique? I think I'll order tomorrow :)

Post Reply