Advice/Help/Ideas on New Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jenny

Advice/Help/Ideas on New Build

Post by Jenny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi guys, time for a new computer for me *happy dance*.
If I can get something about the same noise level (virtually silent), I'll be happy as!

This is my current computer, (which is going to my sister)
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Intel Core2 quad Q6600
GE Force 8600GTS passive
2x 1024MBytes Corsair 333 MHz DDR2
Samsung HDD
Antec SOLO

So my thoughts for new:
I wont be overclocking
Gigabyte have been reliable for me, so figured I'd stick with them.
Will be keeping my Dell 24" (1920x1200) k/b, mouse

MBOARD: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30Ghz Quad-Core CPU

RAM: 4 gig of ???
help, should I get 2x2 or 1x4 or 4x1 sticks & at what speed?

GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte 5770 Silent 1GB 128-bit DDR5 is that fastest 'off the shelf' passive?

POWER SUPPLY: ???
help, I'm not sure about wattage, needs to be quiet, I would rather it be over specced for less stress & reliability.

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3

DVD: anything

CASE: Antec SOLO
Thats the 'best' I could come up with BUT I'll need to get a drivebay front panel insert with USB3 seeing as the SOLO doesnt have USB3 on front. Will also make it easier seeing as case is on the floor under desk it will mean I wont have to reach down to almost the floor to reach the USB ports ;D
help, any other suggestions, no taller than 20 inches / 50cms, 'bling' is not required lolol?

EXTRA: drivebay front panel insert for USB3, are there 'generic' such things that will fit the SOLO?

Please, thoughts, suggestions, help would be GREATLY appreciated please, (the b/f doesnt want to know about it & is being decidedly UNhelpful grrr)
Thanks in anticipation...sorry for the long post..... shuddup, I'm female ;P

jenn in australia

duncanw

Re: Advice/Help/Ideas on New Build

Post by duncanw » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:49 am

Have you seen this post?
viewtopic.php?t=60180

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Yes, I did see that thread, thanks, seems like he is the only guy who couldnt fit the card in whereas others have.

If it is an issue, I guess I'll go with a Fractal Design Define R3.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Jenny wrote:Please, thoughts, suggestions, help would be GREATLY appreciated please

Just one major point: why going for a passive videocard when using a TriCool and an Intel stock heatsink? If in case, it would be illogical and counter productive, IMO/IME.

At anyway:
  • about the mobo: Gigabyte has not so good SpeedFan support, how can be quiet a Win machine without SpeedFan?
  • if you don't go for the 2500K, IMO the 2400 should be a more rational choice (even if I don't know your local prices)
  • about RAM, you might give a read here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory ... -bridge/12.
  • yes, that 5770 do is the fastest passive videocard available: PowerColor has announced an HD6850 SCS but it's not on the shelves yet. If you should need more horsepowers, AFAIK the MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II OC - even if fanned - should be under most quiet PSUs noisefloor at any level, so it would be wholeheartedly muffled
  • the new PSU: the bare minimum for a really quiet machine should be somehing like the Antec TruePower New TP-550;
  • about HDD: the F3 has been superseded by the F4. Personally I wouldn't go for any 7200rpm 3,5" drive, even if Solo's suspension would clear most issues;
  • about the case: stock insulated enclosures are not so many. With stock HDD suspension just one, AFAIK. The Define R3 is more easily workable than an Antec P183 V3, but IMO it's not definitely preferable;
  • required extras: I know USB 3.0 panel by Silverstone, Lian-Li and Astrotek, and they have to fit, AFAIK. There are upgrade kits just for connectors from Lian-Li and Corsair, but I don't know if they could be adapted to the Antec Solo.
Eventually, as already said above, swap the Intel heatsink and the Antec exhaust fan, if in case. It's mandatory, IME.

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Luca..... now I'm even more confused :/P

I thought I would start with the standard Tricool fan, try the (manual switch) low/medium settings and see how they go with noise/heat and if it is too noisey then swap it out.

Thank you for that excellent link on RAM.

I was choosing that card because it was fastest passive so I wouldnt have to try and work out which 'fanned' card even with a lo noise was going to add to the overall noise level (if that makes sense).

I keep reading other posts on here and the main site and 'think' I have an idea for a build, then think I dont, and start all over again lol.

I'll keep reading and see if I can find a build someone else has already made and <copy> it.... all too confusing.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:41 pm

First, welcome to SPCR!

Second, what are your planned uses/apps for the PC? It's the only way to tell whether your selected parts are overkill or not.

Gigabyte hasn't implemented UEFI, yet. You might take a look at the Asus or Asrock P67 variants.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Jenny wrote:now I'm even more confused :/P

About what? I've just tried to be concise.
Jenny wrote:I thought I would start with the standard Tricool fan, try the (manual switch) low/medium settings and see how they go with noise/heat and if it is too noisey then swap it out.

As your old computer already sports a Solo I thought you already knew how a Tricool sounds like.
IME it's simply not acceptable for a silencer. The same goes for the Intel stock heatsink of your next Sandy Bridge CPU: IMO it is just a piece of junk, from a silence perspective.
Obviously, any less demanding user may use both comfortably, but as just said definitely he would not be a silencer.
Jenny wrote:I was choosing that card because it was fastest passive so I wouldnt have to try and work out which 'fanned' card even with a lo noise was going to add to the overall noise level (if that makes sense).

Yes, it makes some sense, but any above average user (I mean any conscious gamer, silencer, oc'er, aussie female on SPCR, and so on) cannot just refuse to do her/his homework, IMO.

Any videocard superior to the Sandy Bridge IGP may be justified only by specific needs: I'm referring to games, folding, or other specific apps.
The 5770 is usually regarded as a low-mid game card, so I suppose you do some games: with this respect, I gave you an indication of a different truly quiet and more powerful card, in case you should need more power than a 5770 may give.
Obviously there are alternatives, but as already said I've tried to be concise.
Jenny wrote:I keep reading other posts on here and the main site and 'think' I have an idea for a build, then think I dont, and start all over again lol.

Someone calls it "life", I think.
Jenny wrote:I'll keep reading and see if I can find a build someone else has already made and <copy> it.... all too confusing.
I'm sorry for confusing you: have a good luck!

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I tend to 'overspec' with most things, not only computers Steve.
I'd rather things ran at 75% or something of their capacity than stress them at 100% all the time.... except cars, I only have 2 speeds with them FAST and stop :lol:

I dont need the computer to be 'dead quiet silent' (it's not in my bedroom) but 'silent' enough that it doesnt sound like a rocket ship under the desk here.

I dont play on-line games nor really high graphic number games just the odd few like 'need for speed' etc.
I use CS5 a lot for photo manipulation, usual 'office suite' stuff, & video editing.

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Tha's OK Luca, I get confused easily ;P

With the SOLO or Fractal V3 I thought I would get it, see how the noise was and if unacceptable swap the fan(s) over, (that I can do myself) same with the Intel standard.
The tricool is 'OK' (for me) in my current SOLO is under the desk here and it is not really audible, it's not like it's in my bedroom or on the desk next to me.

I was thinking if I got the 'base' system case/mb/graphics card/PS components worked out then if fans needed changing I could.

I think half my problem is I read TOO much rather than just do it, but I want to make "informed" decisions :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:33 am

Jenny wrote:I think half my problem is I read TOO much rather than just do it, but I want to make "informed" decisions :)

I don't think it's the half of your problem: maybe that half one is the worry to do some thing wrong, isn't it?

However, in a relatively noisy ambient I guess you should easily stand the Fractal fans (maybe even that "infamous" TriCool on low); I'm not sure about the Intel heatsink, as it spins annoyingly up and down very often: as already said, have a good luck, but again, if you can't hear them, then you shouldn't need a passive high performing videocard.
BTW, Photoshop as far as I know doesn't demand of any performing videocard: if I think correctly, any 512MB/1GB one should be way more than enough, providing that CS5 is CPU bound (and the relevant bucks might be better invested on a i7 Sandy Bridge).
Eventually I don't know if the Intel HD2000/3000 may suffice, but if in case, for an IGP based system, I would go just for a Solo.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:00 am

If Photoshop is a big part of your day, then:
- get 8GB of RAM. 4GB x 2 is getting pretty cheap and Sandy Bridge doesn't require crazy high speed stuff to work well. (That article was worth linking twice :) )
- consider having multiple drives. An SSD for OS/Programs and an HDD for stored data.
- Adobe uses the video card to accelerate the display processing - but not the data processing. It doesn't take a lot of horsepower to do that. So, 5770 is fine/overkill.

I came across this benchmark for Need for Speed at 1920x1200 at . Fps scales for both CPU and GPU...but in your case, it'll be GPU limited.
Figure the 5770 is a little faster than the overclocked 5750. 55-60fps should be good enough.

PSU: Your power use will be similar to mine. You'd have to run stress tests to get it >200W.
So, take a look at the [url=http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs]recommended PSU
list and find one that is inaudible at <200W (look at the comparison table halfway down the page).

CPU cooler: Stock cooler and fan won't cut it. Consider going aftermarket. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and a Scythe or Nexus fan is well regarded as inexpensive and decent cooling or look at many of the others reviewed (I'm trying to fulfill your need to read).

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for all the info....

I 'think' I'll just bite the bullet and buy what I think is OK, otherwise I'll procrastinate for weeks.

edit

OK that graph really does show how my choice of G card will hobble the system.
Last edited by Jenny on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:33 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Jenny wrote:I think half my problem is I read TOO much rather than just do it, but I want to make "informed" decisions :)

I don't think it's the half of your problem: maybe that half one is the worry to do some thing wrong, isn't it?
EXACTLY!!! :roll: :lol:

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:57 pm

CASE:
Fractal Design Define R3 Black ($160)

MOTHERBOARD:
GA-P67A-UD7-B3 [10 USB3.0/6 SATA3 for the future] ($385)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3761#ov

CPU:
CORE i7 2600, Quad core with HT, 3.40GHz, 8MB CACHE, LGA1155 Intel BX80623I72600 [F] ($345)
OR
CORE i7 2600K, 3.40GHz, 8MB CACHE, LGA1155 Intel BX80623I72600K ($380)
help the 'K' = unlocked is that correct? If I'm not o'clocking then the first one is the correct cpu for me?
reference: review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the- ... -tested/22

RAM:
lol help
Reference: compatability list http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/ ... 7a-ud7.pdf
edit: this? RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws XL F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3 – ($105.00)

HARD DRIVE
Intel ssd x25-v sata 80gb ($250)
help (this is sata2 & current available model?)
Reference: I cant find the link now ( where it was given 4.5 stars.
Storage HDD - using my current drives

GRAPHICS CARD:
Gigabyte ATI HD 5770 SILENT Low Profile PCI-E 2.0 1GB 128-bit GDDR5, 850/4800 MHz ($180)
http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/96/models04.html

POWER SUPPLY
Seasonic PSUSEAX460FLESS X-Series Fanless 460W PSU - 80Plus Gold ($218)
($30 difference between 400 & 460 so figured i'd go 1 size bigger)
reference http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1063-page9.html

Sata DVD-RW
Liteon DS-8A4S-OEM(BLK) ($53)
SATA SLIM DVD-RW, 24X24X24, 8X8X8(8X6X), DVDRAM5X, DL, NO SWARE

After spending most of the day this is what I've come up with above.
(Prices are in Australian Dollars)
I _know_ the graphics card is going to be the 'slow' part of the system but it will do me for the moment.
Once I have the basic system up & running and can 'hear' it, then I will decide if/what fans I need to upgrade.

If you can help with those couple of questions or see a glaring error or omission please let me know, it would be gratefully appreciated.
Once again, thanks for taking the time.... Jen
Last edited by Jenny on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 am

What will you be using the computer for?

I've got an F3. And it's probably the noisiest thing in my case right now.
I've just recently put in a WD Green WD10EARS 1TB as a backup, and although it's not silent, it's a little bit quieter than the F3.
I'm planning on suspending the F3, and trying to kill just a little bit of the idle hiss.

Speedfan + GB motherboard. Not sure about the mobo you're looking at, but I think mine only supports Speedfan on 2 of the fan headers.

HSF. I'm using the Hyper 212+. It fits in the R3 (although you won't be able to mount a fan on the case door) and it's cheap.

PSU. The X-460 is a good choice. It does have a very slight coil whine to it.

R3 case is a winner.
The R3 fans are OK, but you may as well order a few quieter fans while you're at it. I got a SlipStream 800 today to use as an exhaust, and I'm very happy with it - running at lowest setting with the R3 controller.
Jenny wrote:CASE:
www.pccasegear.com have it for $145
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=15140

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:28 am

Jenny wrote:MOTHERBOARD:
GA-P67A-UD7-B3

I have some doubts about its compatibility with SpeedFan, but maybe you could work out a quiet result with its BIOS.
Jenny wrote:help the 'K' = unlocked is that correct? If I'm not o'clocking then the first one is the correct cpu for me?

You're right.
Jenny wrote:this? RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws XL F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3 – ($105.00)

They seem fine, something like these should be better: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=13931
Jenny wrote:HARD DRIVE
Intel ssd x25-v sata 80gb ($250)
help (this is sata2 & current available model?)
Reference: I cant find the link now ( where it was given 4.5 stars.

It's a solid choice, but rather slow and outdated: pick it only if you praise reliability over performance.
Faster and newer units might be the Corsair Performance 3 64GB/128GB (Marvel C400), or if you can afford the OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Sandforce 2500), even if they are maybe too much new.
If you want to stick with Intel, give a look to the Intel SSD 510 (Marvel C400) and the forthcoming Intel SSD 320 (Intel G2.5?): please check whether or not the FD R3 has any 2.5" bay, as you may need a bay adapter.

At anyway, you may find useful information about SSD on the Anadtech website, and also in several threads in the SPCR Forum's Silent storage section.
Jenny wrote:POWER SUPPLY

If you mind: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=15335 .
Jenny wrote:Sata DVD-RW
Liteon DS-8A4S-OEM(BLK) ($53)

I think it's not the one for you, as it's a slim notebook unit: http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=88.
I think you should need a regular 5.25" unit.

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Thank you Luca and Kerosene for your replies.

I'll check Luca you are correct I should need a regular 5.25" unit.

Luca,
The Corsair Performance 3 and OCZ Vertex 3 -availability dates locally here in Australia are too 'vague'.
Suppliers are really not sure and quoting anywhere from a month forward with no real idea.

I think my option therefore is to go with the Intel.
I have a choice of two, I'm just trying to find the difference between the two. (I'm just searching to find the difference between the two.)
I cant even find the K5 on Intel list http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd ... 029624.htm
Intel SSDSA2MH080G2R5 ($245)
OR
Intel SSDSA2MH080G2K5 ($261)

Intel SSDSA2MH080G2K5 2.5" SATA SOLID STATE DRIVE/80GB/RD 250M/s WR 70MB/s
INTEL SSD X25-M 80GB NOTEBOOK/DKTOP
INTEL X25-M SOLID-STATE DRIVE, 80GB SATA II 2.5" ,
MLC, HIGH PERFORMANCE, 34NM PRODUCT LINE
GEN 2 RETAIL VERSION - INCLUDE BRACKET

Intel SSDSA2MH080G2R5SSD X25-M 80GB NOTEBOOK/DKTOP Retail with 2.5 to 3.5 adapter
PRODUCT : Intel X25-M Mainstream SATA Solid-State Drive
CAPACITY: 80 GB
FORM FACTOR: 2.5"
I/FACE : Serial ATA (SATA)
BANDWIDTH: Read : upto 250 MB/s
Write: upto 70 MB/s
NAND FLASH COMPONENT: Intel Multi-Level Cell (MLC) NAND Flash Mem
10 Parallel-channel Architecture with 34nm MLC
ONFI 1.0 NAND
LATENCY : Read : 65 microsecs
Write: 85 microsecs
RANDOM IOPS: Random 4 KB Reads: upto 35,000 IOPS
Random 4KB Writes: upto 6,600 IOPS

Kerosene,
You wrote, "I've got an F3. And it's probably the noisiest thing in my case right now."
Which bit is the noisiest you're referring to?

Thanks again to you both, back to searching for me.

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Jenny wrote: You wrote, "I've got an F3. And it's probably the noisiest thing in my case right now."
In your first post you wrote: HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3

If you don't already have the F3, and don't need the speed, then I'd look for something else.
The F3 is a quietish drive, seek noise is pretty quiet, but it has an idle whine/hiss that really annoys me.

This morning I swapped my F3 and WD Green around, the WD is now my primary storage drive, and it's much quieter than the Samsung.
It's not as fast (on paper), but I haven't noticed any difference yet. And if I do, the noise reduction will be worth it anyway.

This is the WD I bought:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=13197

Just out of interest, where are you getting your prices from? They're a little bit steep.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Jenny wrote:Intel SSDSA2MH080G2R5 ($245)
OR
Intel SSDSA2MH080G2K5 ($261)

As far as I know the differences should be the following: if the product code ends in "Kn" (where "n" is a number), then it's a "Retail kit" (which usually comes with SATA cable, the 3.5 to 2.5 adapters, a 4p Molex to SATA-power adaptor, and Intel "bragging rights" stickers). On the contrary, if the product code ends in "Rn" (where n"" is a number), then it's a "Retail standard box" (which usually comes with a slightly lighter bundle, I mean just the 3.5 to 2.5 adapters, and the same Intel official stickers).

If I were you, however, I would wait some days for the SSD: but hey, this is not my system, and no one has ever been fired for have picked an Intel SSD (neither I've been).

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Kerosene wrote:
Jenny wrote: You wrote, "I've got an F3. And it's probably the noisiest thing in my case right now."
In your first post you wrote: HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3.
Oh right, sorry.
I was told the F3 had been superceded by the F4 so had changed that to an Intel SSD for my primary drive snd I'll use 1 of my current SATA drives as secondary.

Kerosene wrote: Just out of interest, where are you getting your prices from? They're a little bit steep.
http://ijk.com.au/ (the old and original Umart before the 'divorce'), I'm only using it because that's where the b/f gets a lot of stuff from & I remembered the name LOL

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:50 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:As far as I know the differences should be the following .
OK thank you for that
quest_for_silence wrote: If I were you, however, I would wait some days for the SSD: but hey, this is not my system, and no one has ever been fired for have picked an Intel SSD (neither I've been).
When I place my order I'll recheck on expected time for the stock to arrive.
If they can be more definate with a date and it's close I'll wait BUT no one down here seems to really know - it could be a week / a month / a year / not in my lifetime LOL (OK slight exaggeration).

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:40 am

CASE:

MOTHERBOARD:
GA-P67A-UD7-B3 [10 USB3.0/6 SATA3 for the future] ($385)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3761#ov

CPU:
CORE i7 2600, Quad core with HT, 3.40GHz, 8MB CACHE, LGA1155 Intel BX80623I72600 [F] ($345)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the- ... -tested/22

RAM:
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 ($119)
compatability list http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/ ... 7a-ud7.pdf

HARD DRIVE
Intel ssd x25-m sata 80gb ($250) (edited to m not v)

GRAPHICS CARD:
Gigabyte ATI HD 5770 SILENT Low Profile PCI-E 2.0 1GB 128-bit GDDR5, 850/4800 MHz ($180)
http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/96/models04.html

POWER SUPPLY
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=15335

Sata DVD-RW
Liteon IHAS324(BLACK)
SPR ALLWRITE, DVD+-24X8X8/8X4, DVDRAM12X, CD48X32X48, SATA, RTL ($29)
http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_in ... _id=120985

TOTAL: $1500

OK, that's what I've come up with as my 'base' system to buy.
(Once it's up & running any noisey fans I'll replace)
Anything you see "wrong" with what I have chosen?

Sorry to be a pain, if that all looks OK, I wont pester you with more questions and I'll go check out where I can source the parts at the best prices.
Thanks again,
Jen :)
Last edited by Jenny on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 am

Jenny wrote:G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 ($119)
Is this memory on the approved and tested QVL list for the motherboard?

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:30 am

Your setup looks very similar to mine (in terms of cooling requirements).

Add an extra $60ish for a decent heatsink and some fans while you're at it.
The R3 fans are nearly OK. But for $15ish each, a pair of SlipStreams will make a big difference.

$33 Hyper 212+ > http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=12544
$15 SlipStream 800 (case fan) > http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=6024
$16 SlipStream PWM (CPU fan) > http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=16494

-----
Add up all your stuff at PCCG, and you can probably buy the heatsink and fans with the money you'll save :D
-----

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:14 am

ces wrote:
Jenny wrote:G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 ($119)
Is this memory on the approved and tested QVL list for the motherboard?

Yes, it is, page 4 her QVL... :evil:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 am

Kerosene wrote:Add an extra $60ish for a decent heatsink and some fans while you're at it.

She already said several times that she want to do that after the actual build up, just in case of: we may think it's wrong, but eventually it's just our opinion as "silencers" (maybe she will never be a silencer, just a... "quieter" :wink: ).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:21 am

Jenny wrote:Anything you see "wrong" with what I have chosen?

Just a mere, possible typo: "X-25M" and not "X-25V" (which should be the 40GB, I guess). :wink:

Have a good luck with your build!

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:16 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:maybe she will never be a silencer, just a... "quieter" :wink: ).
:lol: :oops: I think you are correct
quest_for_silence wrote:Just a mere, possible typo: "X-25M" and not "X-25V" (which should be the 40GB, I guess). :wink:
oops my bad - corrected to "M" for the 80GB
http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/ ... /index.htm

thanks for your time and knowledge
i think i'm done now for my build

thanks to everyone for their input
Jenny <3

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Kerosene wrote: Add up all your stuff at PCCG, and you can probably buy the heatsink and fans with the money you'll save :D
-----
I'm in Sydney, postage from Melbourne would kill any savings on purchase price unfortunately.

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:18 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:maybe she will never be a silencer, just a... "quieter" :wink: ).
It's a slippery slope. I predict we'll have a convert within a few weeks :twisted:
Jenny wrote:I'm in Sydney, postage from Melbourne would kill any savings on purchase price unfortunately.
Bugger. I bought my entire PC (in bits) including case and monitor from PCCG, and shipping was only $47 to country VIC.