budget NLE (video editing) build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

octeuron

budget NLE (video editing) build

Post by octeuron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:48 am

i recently i got into shooting and editing video and need to build a silent video editing desktop.

i decided to build a budget system based on a AMD 1090t
computer will be on the ground about 5-6 feet away from my head

the only components that i do have that i would like to utilize (left over form a canceled build few years back) are:
2 x Nexus 120mm
1 x Scythe Ninja rev B

--

1. as far as the case goes, im leaning to the antec sonata 4 (with included 620w ps). I will not be using the included fan.
I was thinking of getting the fractal designs R3 but there is only one place that sells fractal stuff in toronto and currently their stock is one micro atx R2 which is not what i want. I also looked at the new nzxt h2 but i dont like it. antec p193 is too expensive.

2. if i dont go for the antec sonata 4 (with included 620watt PS) i will most likely go with a antec tp650

3. need advice on a mobo. I would like usb3 and sata3 (6gb/s) since i plan on using a SSD as a system drive. I would also like the mobo to be able to do raid0 (2 x 1tb hitachi) for encoding, alongside raid1 (2 x 2tb or higher drives for backup storage)
ive never done raid before, is the above possible? (to have both raid 0 and 1 natively on the mobo)
also the board needs to support the Ninja rev B (im assuming the ninja will fit am3 boards since it supports am2 and i read that both sockets have same mounting system)

EDIT: i think i will go with this mobo:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

4. the video card will be fanless (unless there is one with a fan that is very quiet and will not be the loudest component in the system please suggest)
i may put the fan that comes with the ninja on the fanless card, bringing the total number of fans used in the system to 4 (2 nexus', the scythe ninja fan and the fan on the PS)
please advise which of the above is the recommended setup, as well as a recommended video card. i do not game much on the pc and if i do it will be a old game (original ghost recon maybe) so video card only needs to support editing native AVCHD 1080p footage (using sony vegas 10)
there video cards im considering are:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6814102902
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6814161343
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6814500175

--

my main questions are:

-will the above system will be quiet?
-will the ninja rev b fit onto that asus mobo?
-should i reconsider any components?

any advice is appreciated.
thanx

octeuron

Re: budget NLE (video editing) build

Post by octeuron » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:34 pm

i managed to buy a fractal design R3.
i will not be using included fans that come with the case.
fans will be 2 nexus 120mm and the scythe one that comes with the ninja

i mainly need advice on what graphic card to buy... should i buy fanless and put the scythe fan on it?
or is there a graphic card with a fan that will not be the loudest component compared to the above?

as i already mentioned, i mainly need to edit video and gaming is not in the equation

fumino

Post by fumino » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:15 am

600w psu seems like massive overkill.

as for the video card, iirc Vegas uses cuda, not opengl, so you'll be wanting a nvidia graphics card if youre looking into gpu acceleration.

if youre willing to stretch into the gts450, the msi cyclone is said to be a very quiet cooler; as are the gigabyte windforce models, and the sparkle calibre series. otherwise that fanless zotac card you posted before would seem to be your best choice. yuo might want to see what your temps are like before deciding on a supplementary fan.

octeuron

Post by octeuron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:42 am

fumino wrote:600w psu seems like massive overkill.
i know.
this is for future upgrades as well as the idea that as long as im in the low requirements of the PS, it will hardly ever spin up
fumino wrote: as for the video card, iirc Vegas uses cuda, not opengl, so you'll be wanting a nvidia graphics card if youre looking into gpu acceleration.
from the reviews i read, there is not a significant gain in having a cuda capable card. mixed reviews at best
fumino wrote: if youre willing to stretch into the gts450, the msi cyclone is said to be a very quiet cooler; as are the gigabyte windforce models, and the sparkle calibre series. otherwise that fanless zotac card you posted before would seem to be your best choice. yuo might want to see what your temps are like before deciding on a supplementary fan.
id be up checking out that option... but are they quiet enough to not overpower (spl wise) the rest of the components?

fumino

Post by fumino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:03 am

during 2d use, they should be very quiet.

in your first post you said:
video card only needs to support editing native AVCHD 1080p footage (using sony vegas 10)
vegas uses cuda. if youre not going to use gpu acceleration, then you dont need to worry about cuda, and could go with a ati 5450, or even an old nvidia 8400. or anything really...even integrated graphics.

you say budget, but with the 1090T, and the price of a motherboard, you could look at a sandybridge system. even non overclocked on an h67 platform it should be very capable.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:07 am

fumino wrote: you say budget, but with the 1090T, and the price of a motherboard, you could look at a sandybridge system. even non overclocked on an h67 platform it should be very capable.
Here's the Anandbench comparision of the 1090T vs the i5-2500K. The 2500K beats the 1090T in all video benchmarks and consumes a lot less power => less heat => lower fan rpm => less noise.

Price-wise, the Intel CPU costs $220 vs $200 for the 1090T at newegg.ca. A decent H67 mobo costs ~$100 (same as referred mobo in the OP), or a P67 will run ~$120. You get Quicksync with the H67.

I'd lean toward the 2500K/H67 for the extra $20 and don't bother with the discrete video card.

I can't speak to whether the Ninja Rev B can be adapted to socket 1155.