Feedback on Silent PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jebus_beler

Feedback on Silent PC

Post by jebus_beler » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:48 am

I already posted before but I don't see it. I'm not sure if it needs to be approved or if I made some mistake so I'm reposting (hope won't cause a problem).

The post was about getting feedback for the specs for a system I'm trying to build as a linux workstation. The primary uses will be mathematica and photo-editing with GIMP and bibble. I would appreciate feedback on the components viz sound and power consumption but feedback on linux compatibility and general quality would also be appreciated (even if its a bit off topic).

Specs:

Cooler Master CM-690 II Advanced
Nexus NX-5000
Core i7 2600K
Asus P8P67 Pro (Rev. B3)
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II (1 Gb)
Corsair Vengeance - 8 Go : 2 x 4 Go - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 (1.5V)
Western Digital HD - Caviar Black - 3,5“ - 1 TB - SATA III

In the original post I had a Cooler Master Silent Pro 500W (M500) but have replaced it with the Nexus since that seems to get better reviews. Is 500W enough power given that I very likely will NOT get a second video card?

The CM 690 has some front ports - usb, audio, and eSata and I was wondering I have to check motherboard compatibility for those or if they will work with any motherboard.

Many thanks in advance for the feedback.

Live

Re: Feedback on Silent PC

Post by Live » Thu May 19, 2011 12:32 pm

I would think 500W is definitely enough.

Worker control

Post by Worker control » Thu May 19, 2011 1:24 pm

jebus_beler wrote: The CM 690 has some front ports - usb, audio, and eSata and I was wondering I have to check motherboard compatibility for those or if they will work with any motherboard.
They will work with any motherboard, though hooking up the audio can be annoying. I frequently end up using tweezers.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 19, 2011 4:03 pm

jebus_beler wrote:In the original post I had a Cooler Master Silent Pro 500W (M500) but have replaced it with the Nexus since that seems to get better reviews. Is 500W enough power given that I very likely will NOT get a second video card?
Also consider Enermax Modu87+ 500W 80Plus Gold or a Seasonic X-560 560W

boost

Post by boost » Fri May 20, 2011 12:09 pm

You can make a quiet system with these parts, but there is room for improvement.
Get a good CPU cooler from Recommended List.
The Mugen 2 is a good choice, so is a Coolermaster Hyper 212 IF you swap the fan, the CM 690 is big enough for any of them.
The case fans are not particularly quiet, you can either run them et a lower voltage, or swap them -->Recommended Fan List.
You could also regulate the fans through the mainboard, MSI boards usually have the best fan control.
The Graphics card is quiet, if you change the fan profile it gets even better.
The hard drive you selected can be noisy, consider an SSD or at least susspend the hard drive.
Any of the PSUs mentioned is good, I would rate them Seasonic>Enermax>Coolermaster.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Fri May 20, 2011 1:07 pm

WD Black is a bit noisy and generates lots of vibration for my liking ...... That said, you can make it quieter by suspending it in the cage.