Too Ambitious?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kurso

Too Ambitious?

Post by Kurso » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:12 pm

I have wanted to built a silent PC for some time. It is mainly used for MMO gaming and general purpose apps so I didn't need a monster of a rig and I don't intend to overclock anything.

I hate noise with a passion so I was focused more on noise reduction that heat. I might have been a little to ambitious.

Here is what I ordered:

Case - Silverstone FT03
MB - Asus P67-M Pro
CPU - Intel i5-2500
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4GBx2 @ 1866
VGA - EVGA GTX460 1GB SSC+
HD - OCZ Agility 2 160GB
PSU - Seasonic X460
Heatsink - Thermalright HR-02 (Fanless)

Now that I have ordered all of this I feel I have really overlooked the cooling of the system. Also, with the PSU being fanless and having to be mounted on the bottom upside down I'm concerned about the PSU.

All of this stuff is on the way. I feel 100% confident in all of these parts individually but as a system I'm now worried. Should I make any changes before I open anything?

Thanks!

mkk

Re: Too Ambitious?

Post by mkk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:44 pm

Cooling won't be too bad but it's definitely not a case made for quietness.
Edit: Correction, the power button is not a problem on this PSU+Case combination. I'd still consider a better designed case. ;)
The powersupply has plenty of vents, but the case has an internally running power cable that mindboggingly gets in the way of the power switch on many PSU's, so also in the case of the X-460. Resulting in a bad fit or at worst direct unusability depending on how the millimeters play out. Seen in the following picture from the SPCR review.
Last edited by mkk on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:02 am

That power lead won't be a problem with the Seasonic X-460 because it has the power switch on the left. It's only a problem with PSUs with right mounted power switches like the Coolermaster Silent Pro M700, as pictured.

Deucal

Post by Deucal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:35 am

go i5 2500K

what monitor resolution are you using?

Kurso

Post by Kurso » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 am

I'm running 1920x1080. My current machine (C2-6600 with a GTX260) performce great for the applications/games I use. In fact if it wasn't for the noise and the fact that my sons compter died I would just keep what I have. I thought about going with the 2500K. I always built my past machines with OC capability, with the intent of OCing as a free performance boost at some point, but I have alway upgraded long before the desire to OC. I'm getting to the point where noise and heat are more important than the frame rates and CPU benchmark numbers I can showcase.

As for the case I'm not tied to it and I know the review from SPCR was not great but a lot of the grip came from HD noise related issues, which I won't have given I will have a single 160GB SSD. I'm also considering replacing the stock fans with Nexus or something a little quieter, as I would with any case. But if there is another case more suited to the HR-02 and cooling characteristics of the rest of the system I'm all for it! Also, given some of the videos and other data floating around about fanless FT03 systems I may try to push the envelope on it and run either short on fans or at a fixed lower speed.

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Another detail that I don't like about this case is how there is a bit of bare metal on the internal power supply connector, adding a potential hazard that should not be present in any system. I've looked around on various review samples and the problem is everywhere, just a little more or less visible, the picture below is not from the worst. One might not often rebuild a system with this case, partly because it's not so fun to work with, but I do not skimp on safety.

Kurso

Post by Kurso » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Hmm... I didn't notice this in the SPCR review but I'll certainly loo out for it when my case comes.

Kurso

Post by Kurso » Tue May 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Well after a week of staring at a pile of parts, sans the case, my FT03 finally arrived today... damaged :-(

One of the corners on the bottom was bent over at the foot making it a 3 footed case instead of 4. I'm pretty bummed. So I have to return it to Amazon for a replacement which looks like it's going to take a week or two.

UPS is picking the case up tomorrow so I'm going to use the time to build my system using this case to check out the mechanics. I'll post some pics later of how it looks.

P.S. My case also has to exposed leads from the power connector as mkk has shown in the pick. Seems dangerous and I'm surprised they are shipping the case that way. It won't stop me from using it because I'll never be in the case while it's plugged in for sure.