1st HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Balinus

1st HTPC

Post by Balinus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:40 am

Hello! I plan to build my 1st HTPC. I have some objectives in mind, with a budget around 400$-450$.

Objectives :
  • I will use XBMC on Linux.
  • Need to be able to de-interlace correctly 1080i (as well as 480i and 720i)
  • Play 1080p
  • Play Flash HD content on internet.
  • Play Blu-ray (I understand that it's not yet working easily on Linux)
  • Rip occasional bluray into my digital collection
  • Mini-ITX form
So, since 3-4 weeks, I hesitate between a lot of system. Here's the one I think could get the job done.

Case#1 : Antec ISK310-150 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129081)
Case #2 : Lian-Li Q09 110W (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6811112292)
CPU : Celeron E3400
MB : Zotac GF9300-K-E MINI-ITX LGA775 GeForce 9300 DDR3 (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=62240)
RAM : Probably 4GB
HD : Either a slow 5400RPM or a low capacity SSD.
Optical slim BD : Anything I guess, as this is not a core component.

Some questions :
  1. Is 150W enough for this system? Or 110W for the Lian-Li case...
  2. All my media is stored on my NAS, so I only need a low capacity drive. However, can I rip a Bluray with the NAS as the target destination?
  3. Is the Celeron E3400 powerful enough to rip moderately quickly a BD disc to a MKV file? Any time estimate for a typical BD movie?
  4. I need to be able to start the HTPC with a remote. Which kind of USB IR receiver could do that with that setting?
I might drop the "Blu ray" objective btw. I could just buy a cheap BD drive without wasting time with software config to play BD disc.

Thank you! If you have any suggestion, throw them in!

boost

Re: 1st HTPC

Post by boost » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:39 am

I estimate the system will not draw more than 60W load, more likely ~45W.
Beware the 9300 chipset on the Atom board is known to run HOT.
Using XMBC on anything but nVidia graphics seems challenging, judging from the forum posts I read so far.
To start the system with a remote the receiver must have an intermediary adapter for the ATX 20/24 pin connector to start the PSU like the Antec Veris.

If playback is the main objective a Zotac Zbox HD-ID33 is stylish and reasonably quiet but not cheap for a dual core Atom+Ion2 system.
A Shuttle XS35GTV2 with similar specs is fanless and half the price, but I don't know how hot it'll run.
Media playback, Blu-ray and Flash HD content should be ok with an Atom+Ion solution, Flash in full HD could be too taxing.
[edit]Take a look at the Lab clearance sale. there's a Zotac Geforce 8200-ITX Wifi which accepts AM2+ 65W CPUs.[/edit]

I have no idea how much the processor will effect ripping, my C2D@3Ghz does a Blu-ray in half the playback time. But converting to MKV is entirely different. If you convert to a different movie codec it takes my system overnight to convert from Blu-ray to MKV in h.264 with AAC sound using handbrake.
For conversion I would skip Linux and use Mediaespresso, Arcsoft recode or Nero recode with Windows on a H61 board with an i3-2100. Intel Quick Sync is twice as fast as anything else with good quality output (Anandtech review). Quick Sync is almost completely independent on CPU speed (single digit difference iirc) and the type of integrated GPU (HD2000 vs HD3000). This part of my motivation to ponder an upgrade to Sandy Bridge.

Balinus

Post by Balinus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 am

oh, only 65W? That's nice to hear! Some people told me I needed more than 200W PSU for this build.

The problem with XBMC with Linux is mainly related to the quality of drivers from Intel and AMD as far as I understand. With Windows, there is no problem with running XBMC with Intel or AMD.

Playback was a side objective (which would have prevented to acquisition of a standalone BD player). The more I read, the less it seems a good path. I think I'll just buy a regular BD player like a Panasonic.

So, without the BD player contraint, I guess the Celeron is more than enough to handle Flash HD content (assuming no HW acceleration)?

HFat

Post by HFat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Balinus wrote:oh, only 65W?
I don't think so since the CPU alone is a 65W part. It may consume less but you have an ODD, a gfx subsystem and so on to power besides...
Regardless, you don't need a 200W PSU for that. But I would look carefully into the real-world power consumption of those before using even a 80W PSU. I'd say a 100W PSU should do.
Balinus wrote:can I rip a Bluray with the NAS as the target destination?
Yes.

Balinus

Post by Balinus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:39 pm

HFat wrote:
Balinus wrote:oh, only 65W?
I don't think so since the CPU alone is a 65W part. It may consume less but you have an ODD, a gfx subsystem and so on to power besides...
Regardless, you don't need a 200W PSU for that. But I would look carefully into the real-world power consumption of those before using even a 80W PSU. I'd say a 100W PSU should do.
Balinus wrote:can I rip a Bluray with the NAS as the target destination?
Yes.
ok great! Thanks for your input. The Lian-Li case is less ugly, with a picoPSU of 110W. I'll take this case then!

If I can rip directly to my NAS I might just use a USB stick to boot XBMC Live....Anyway, I think I go for just a client computer with XBMC and no ODD.

boost

Post by boost » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:06 am

XBitlabs measured the power draw for a Celeron 3400 system at 63W with a P45 mainboard.
Given that the 9300 chipset is not as power efficient, maximum power draw still shouldn't exceed 70W. 65W TDP doesn't mean much for Wolfdale CPUs.

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 am

Hello Balinus.
My spec is similar
CPU E8400 stock w/ minja (overkill but cpu was from old system)
MB:9300KE
Noctua suspended over minja and card w/ stretch magic - no other way to fix it with the set up I have
4gb corsair value ram
WD 500gb (BUDT) 2.5inch
DVD drive (not used much )
Also ati 5450 card [wanted to try it out and couldn't get resolution to work properly on my old samsung TVs HDMI and 9300]
Ubuntu unity (11.04)
PICO 150W and Dell 200W brick (ebay) - was going in my server but built this instead
Case is Lian Li Q07B

idle:49w
not stressed system much but watching 720p video (bbc HD): 62w
Sensors reporting both cores at 49C

Hddtemp reporting 33C bolted in at the bottom of the case. All my other PCs have suspended 3.5 drives but not needed to with the 2.5

Zotac bios control of the fan is poor and the noctua runs at full speed. Can't get pwm-config to work on this board in linux. But given the box is behind my TV, I can't hear it.

I suspect that celeron will idle cooler and your idle watts will be lower.
Hope this helps

Balinus

Post by Balinus » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks Lliam!

However, I've put a hold on the purchase. Zacate platform seems to be more and more supported under Linux (kernel 3.0+) and since I won't put an ODD in my new HTPC version I will aim for the lowest consumption (the fact that the GF9300+Celeron is more expensive does help also!). For Flash HD and 1080p + deinterlacing, I expect the Zacate to be sufficient at these tasks!

So now I'm just waiting a couple of weeks to see how the development goes. i gues that it might be OK before christmas.... :)

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 am

Balinus,
Yes I think if you can wait the zacate boards seem a better option for your htpc.

Linux support for a lot of the new hardware continues to impress me which is why I've made the switch for most of my day to day tasks.

The Phoronix site its worth a look for linux hardware compatibility.

They have recently looked at Zacate under Linux

Keep us posted when you put your HTPC together!

Balinus

Post by Balinus » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 am

Lliam wrote:Keep us posted when you put your HTPC together!
Sure enough! :)

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:36 am

Balinus wrote: [*] Play Blu-ray (I understand that it's not yet working easily on Linux)
I might drop the "Blu ray" objective btw. I could just buy a cheap BD drive without wasting time with software config to play BD disc.
You can get the movies (only, not the extras or menus) to play in Linux by installing Makemkv, then installing a blu-ray plugin for XBMC that will let you play the movies off the disc. Works great.

Balinus

Post by Balinus » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:13 am

Shadowknight wrote:
Balinus wrote: [*] Play Blu-ray (I understand that it's not yet working easily on Linux)
You can get the movies (only, not the extras or menus) to play in Linux by installing Makemkv, then installing a blu-ray plugin for XBMC that will let you play the movies off the disc. Works great.
Thanks,
Do you know if I can chose the language with this workaround?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:51 am

Balinus wrote:
Shadowknight wrote:
Thanks,
Do you know if I can chose the language with this workaround?
XBMC has built-in selector for languages/subtitiles, so you don't need the blu-ray menu, from what I recall. I don't think Linux currently supports True-HD/really high-end codecs though.

Balinus

Post by Balinus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:59 am

Shadowknight wrote: XBMC has built-in selector for languages/subtitiles, so you don't need the blu-ray menu, from what I recall. I don't think Linux currently supports True-HD/really high-end codecs though.
ok! I'll keep that in mind. For now, I'll probably go with a AMD E-350. I fear that it's not enough powerful to use it along MakeMKV and play the disc almost on the fly (i.e. through MakeMKV)...