I have a challenge for users who know their motherboards

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bonestonne

I have a challenge for users who know their motherboards

Post by bonestonne » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm looking for a motherboard, which has some very specific requirements, but have exhausted myself, and wouldn't mind some help.

1) I just happened to fall upon a second ATI HD4850, which means I wouldn't mind running crossfire to see how it is.

Complication: Both HD4850's are cooled with AC Accelero S1 Rev 2 coolers.

2) I need two (2) PCI slots. Yes, old school PCI. I'm not giving up on $1500 worth of sound cards yet if I can avoid it. I'd like to try and get this one system to do everything for me.

Complication: If these are too close to the PCI-e slots for the 4850's, it wont work, given the size of the coolers.

3) I'd like to continue using my 8gb DDR2-800, my Q9400, and hopefully my Corsair 400W.

Alternatively, if someone can spec me out a cheap (focus on the low cost) board which will allow me to run X-Fire, but not break the bank on DDR3 or a new CPU/Cooler, I'm willing to explore those possibilities.

I'd very much prefer to use Intel, however if you can spec me out a good AMD system, I'm not going to scream bloody murder.

I have Win 7 Home Premium x64, so don't worry about the OS. I'm just looking for what you all think is my best option, in terms of going to a new board with a layout that works, or going with something totally new, if the price is right.

FWIW, I can get my hands on an AMD X6 1090T for pretty cheap if need be, but I'd like to lean towards i7 if possible.

On a side note, if I go towards an i7, I'd rather avoid Sandy Bridge and newer, as I know they have problems regarding my sound card. I'm not going to argue that, I'm just stating what I consider requirements.

Bonus points if I can manually set IRQs.

-TIA, bonestonne

ntavlas

Re: I have a challenge for users who know their motherboards

Post by ntavlas » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:53 pm

If your existing motherboard covers your needs, a better solution, if not the only solution, would be to replace the two 4850s with single card.

You need 3 slots for each video card and another 2 for the pci cards putting the total at 8. That`s one more than what you can fit on an atx motherboard! You will need to either sacrifice one of the pci cards or replace the acceleros with something more compact, for this to be even theoriticaly possible. Even then, there are very few boards with the right slot placement, and finding them in stock won`t be easy. I think the gigabyte p45 extreme can fit the two 4850s along with one pci card, as long as you have enough clearance below the motherboard as the second video card will be overhanging it.

Still, I really would go for a single video card. It will be easier to cool, use less energy and will probably end up cheaper too.

kater

Post by kater » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 pm

DFI UT P45 T3RS
It's DDR3 and you'd need some more space "under" the mobo to fit the 4850+S1. RAM is dirt cheap now and you can most probably trade DDR2 for DDR3 w/o losses.

or

DFI LT X38 T2R
This one is DDR2.

I can't tell if any of them runs the bottom PCI-E at x8 (at least) or just x4 or sth. But I'm sure the reviews speak of it. Also, you'd have to hunt for one on E-bay or some such. Not only these are old boards (tho capable and hi-endish for 775), but DFI is no more. RIP Abit, RIP DFI, welcome generic & fugly brown/blue Assus ;)

boost

Post by boost » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 am

If the sound cards are as fidgety as they sound from your description, I wouldn't mess with a running system.
A 4850 with an S1 is a three slot solution, times two that six slots. Atx boards have at most 7 slots. There's your dilemma. If you must try xfire, you could swap on of the coolers for a Thermalright GT-03. If you install to wrap around the card you might find the space you need.
The DFI boards run the bottom PCIe 16 slot with 4 lanes from the south bridge. Not good for xfire. I did a bit of research before I bought my S775 system and I cannot recall a single board that would allow 6 slot xfire configuration with two free pci slots.
Get a new graphics card for higher performance, less heat output AND less money. And a system that guaranteed to run.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions...I'm most likely going to replaced my current AMD system with a new (or used) motherboard which supports Crossfire.

I got both HD4850's used for $0 each, the cost was for me to do a re-flow on each one to fix artifacting problems. This is more of an experiment for me than a definite "I'm replacing everything now."

AMD boards seem to be more common, and a new X6 setup might be fun to play with from time to time, especially if I can run everything sort of passive (Scythe Ninja, Accelero S1's, HR-05/HR-05SLI)

I'm pushing the limits of the Antec LanBoy Air to make a swanky, low noise, interesting gaming computer. Not something just anyone would put into the same sentence either.

cordis

Post by cordis » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:27 pm

I have a couple old gigabyte motherboards on a shelf that might work, but all I could find at newegg is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128518
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128475

These are only gigabyte boards, I was looking for the boards I have at home. These will work assuming that the video cards only take up two slots, and you don't mind packing the cards all together. If you do need 3 free slots for the video cards, you'll need an 8 slot case.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Just re-flowed 4850 #2, and now both are working like a charm.

I'm starting to think that a whole new system is looking like the better option here.

Only question now is whether I go Intel or AMD for it. Either way, the 4850's have Accelero S1 Rev2's on them, and the CPU will get a Scythe Ninja (rev 2).

At a loss for where to take it from here though. Case, Power supply, heatsinks are all accounted for. CPU, RAM and motherboard are the question.

If I go AMD, I have an Athlon X2 5600+ to start with, or I could go straight for an X6 1090T.

If I go Intel and I use a 775 socket, I do have an E6750 I wouldn't mind putting back in business.

If I go with a new motherboard, I will need CPU, RAM and mobo...not sure I'm looking to spend that kind of money just yet.

Used motherboards don't scare me, my P45 Neo has been holding up very well with my Q9400 for more than a year now, so has my 9600GT (purchased from a user here).

Anyone want to convince me that I should get an i7? Currently have a Toshiba Tecra M11 laptop with an i7 and 8gb of RAM, as well as a 2011 MacBook Pro with an i7 and 8gb of RAM. Desktop is still a C2Q though.

cordis

Post by cordis » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 pm

Ah, checked my motherboards, the one I have is an Asus p5b deluxe, here's a link: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... 5B_Deluxe/

It's an older board, but it does have the right kind of spacing to put two dual slot cards and two pci cards in it. If you're interested in buying mine, let me know. :D

ame

Post by ame » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:01 am

Hi bonestonne,

I see what your trying to do but if I was you I'd go about it abit different. Keep your current working 9450 rig as a dedicated DAW with the 2x 1010s, possibly drop any vid card you can find to power the displays (keep everything else). Then build a new Sandy bridge or other rig for gaming using both 4850s.

Advantages of doing it this way is mainly avoiding the hassle of reconfiguring your DAW for a new rig with tons of possible conflicts and DPC issue that may come from using 2 PCI sound cards and 2 PCIe video cards. Another problem is that Corsair 400W will most likely not be able to handle 2x4850s and an i7 9xx.

The pure DAW system (no gaming) has long been a preference of most DAW builders I know. Trying to throw crossfire in the mix defies this pure approach even more. I'm not saying its not possible, only that it is asking fro trouble.

BTW, AFAIK there are no known issues with SNB platform and M-Audio Delta cards. The problems you may have read about must be motherboard model specific, and may happen on any platform. All the more reason to keep your current working DAW rig intact.

HTH

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:04 pm

From what I've heard, over at ADK Audio, no Sandy Bridge platforms have successfully worked with the Delta series.

As far as a totally new system, or even adding parts to the current one, I've got an Antec TPN-750 and HCG-750, so even if the 400W can't do the 4850's, I do have alternate means of power.

I may end up going Sandy Bridge for gaming, although I'm not much of a gamer, it's more of a play around system, so I can get familiar with X-Fire/SLI systems. I know I'm entering the game a bit late, but stumbling upon two easily fixed 4850's was my best option.

I'm not really looking for the purist approach, considering that my DAW currently does everything for me (gaming, photoshop, audio work, internet). Having one computer for this, another for that, and a third for the other is not really the approach I'm looking for. If I had a laptop that could do everything, and a desktop that could do everything, I'd keep a spare computer around for backup, but that's it. In terms of keeping data in one, known location (backed up as well of course) is the simplest solution to me.

I'll keep looking at motherboards, and see what my options are. So far, the two cards do work very well, but I do need to contact Arctic Cooling about the VRM heatsinks included, as they do make contact with resistors, and I just can't be having that. I'll explore possibilities of changing sizes, but will contact Arctic Cooling, because it may land me with better heatsinks for the old 4850 as well.

Either way, I'm going to need to source some extra long Crossfire cables, to fit around an Accelero S1, and that will take some time before I get into anything else.