mATX Overclocked Gaming mini tower - Which case?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Which case?

Temjin TJ08-E
67%
Asus P180 mini
No votes
Sugo SG-04
No votes
Coolermaster 341
No votes
other mATX tower (please specify)
25%
get an ATX tower you idiot
8%
no vote just show me the results
No votes

Total votes: 12

Hixbot

mATX Overclocked Gaming mini tower - Which case?

Post by Hixbot » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:45 am

Here are the parts I'd like, pretty standard fair:
Asus Gene Z
Intel Core i7 2600K 24/7 overclocked to 4ghz+
GTX 580 (something not too expensive, so stock clocks with stock cooler, whatever is on sale)
16GB RAM (I'll get the fastest stuff/$ I can find on sale)
1 ODD drive
1 or 2 3.5" HDD
1 SDD

Uses will be video editing and encoding, and hardcore gaming. I have no budget, but value is a concern.

I'd like a mini tower form factor. My main concern is heat, noise, and small size. I'd like the option for SLI in the future.
I don't expect it to be silent, but I'd prefer it didn't sound like a hovercraft. I know the stock GPU cooler will be holding me back, not to mention a small case.

I'm looking at Temjin TJ-08E, Asus P180 mini, Sugo SG-04, Coolermaster 341. Can I rule any of these out as unsuitable?

I need also need advice on CPU cooler (air is fine but if water it needs to be very simple like Corsair), case fans, and power supply (needs to be enough for 4ghz CPU, for SLI in the future, and high workloads, gold efficiency is a plus but long term reliability is my main concern)

Hixbot

Re: mATX Overclocked Gaming mini tower - Which case?

Post by Hixbot » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:15 am

I'm tempted to get the Sugo, just because it's smallest. Do you think my desired system would fit and overclock ok in that case?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Hixbot wrote:I'm tempted to get the Sugo, just because it's smallest. Do you think my desired system would fit and overclock ok in that case?
The 2600K is a very "cold" CPU, even when oced, but the space inside the SG04 is very limited for the CPU heatsink (82mm, I think): AFAIK there isn't such an heatsink capable to run silently on load (~120W plus the nearby GPU).

What about the Lian Li PC-A05N? It's deeper, but can accept virtually anything inside.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:04 am

Cases with the PSU over the CPU heatsink area gross me out just because that's a P3 era ATX case design trope and case design has evolved so much since then. But thats just a personal prefereance.

Have you checked out the Fractal Design Core 1000? It has very open front to back ventilation which could help you keep your video card(s) cool. It doesn't support a ton of HDDs, but two 3.5 and one SSD should fit.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 am

Why is the Fractal Design Define Mini not on the list?

Rhialto

Post by Rhialto » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:09 am

Been there just 2-3 months ago and after readings many reviews and searching for what looked good to me, I bought a Lian Li PC-V354. Liked the 2 fans in front and the fact the HD cage was splitted in 2. With 2 HD I haven't installed the bottom one so the bottom fan was able to push air freely farther. Then a huge 140mm on the top where the heat usually go took care of pushing it out. All this sounded logical to me.

Yet I'm very happy and I like quietness. I decided to go with silver to make a change from black, it's looking awesome.

Rhialto

Post by Rhialto » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:21 am

Forgot to add, I have the same motherboard, excellent choice! You will be able to OC it to 4.6GHz by changing only 3 settings. Will you remember this?

CPU Level Up = 4.6 | Internal PLL Overvoltage = Disable | Ai Overclock Tuner = X.M.P.

The Internal PLL Overvoltage is on Auto by default and when resuming from sleep it would hang, this is a known problem discussed on RoG forums and setting it to Disable solve the problem. ASUS says it's Intel fault. X.M.P. will of course tune your memory to optimum settings.

Of course if you want to achieve more than 4.6 it's possible and there is a complete OC guide for that here.

There is already a HUGE thread discussing this motherboard, see here.

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:27 pm

I went for Antec mini p180. To be fair its size is almost like full ATX
But it fits any size graphic card and is able to cope with large amounts of heat

(why does it say Asus p180 mini in poll? I missed it and voted for "other")