2600K,GTX570 build feedback

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hector

2600K,GTX570 build feedback

Post by Hector » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:19 am

I am planning on putting together a quiet (but not silent) gaming PC to last me 6+ years, given most of my gaming is on consoles. I don't plan on doing much overclocking, if at all. Here is my shopping list.

CPU: Intel i7-2600K
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4
Memory: G Skills Ripjaws X Series 8GB F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
Video Card: MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III ?
SSD: Intel 320 160GB
HDD: Samsung F3R HE103SJ 1TB
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower ?
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W Power Supply
Heatsink: ??
DVD burner: ??

Specific questions:
What is the quietest GTX 570 video card available at Newegg without doing aftermarket installations?
For this configuration, what would be the best case? I currently have an Antec Solo which has been great for 6 years but I want something that looks different, but similar size. I have my eye on the Define R3. I would prefer white rather than black (to be different) but then I would want a matching white DVD burner. Any suggestions.
Given the case, what heatsink would you recommend?
Any other strong feedback (positive or negative) is appreciated.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: 2600K,GTX570 build feedback

Post by kuzzia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:16 am

You can choose between a lot of CPU heatsinks. Just look at the recommended ones here at SPCR, though NZXT Havik and maybe some of the new heatsinks are missing from that list.

There's nothing wrong with a black optical drive in a White R3 since the white door will cover the optical drive during typical use.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:59 am

Futureproofing for 6 years probably won't work out. However, you can probably get away with a decent build for now and have a CPU/GPU refresh in a few years without replacing the rest of the system.

I think the i7-2600K is not worth the extra $100 over the i5-2500K. Very few (if any) games will show a benefit from it.

What's your monitor resolution and the games you want to play? That'll determine a worthy GPU.

Take a look at Crucial and Samsung SSDs as well as the Intel. Also, if you were to bump anything up, I'd get a 120-128GB drive over a 60-64GB as relative performance drops a lot when you reduce the # of read/write channels in the smaller drives.

Memory - Might as well get 8GB now as it's cheap. Probably won't see much use over 4GB today. G.Skill ripjaw is fine. However, pick out your CPU cooler first and then make sure you've got clearance for the ram you want.

Case: Define R3 is nice.

Seasonic x650 is nice. You could easily use the x560, but the x650 is on sale at newegg now for $110.

I'm not familiar with the Asrock mobo.

cpu cooler: as mentioned, lots of decent coolers reviewed here.

Hector

Post by Hector » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for the replies a bit more information in response.
CA_Steve wrote:I think the i7-2600K is not worth the extra $100 over the i5-2500K. Very few (if any) games will show a benefit from it.

Take a look at Crucial and Samsung SSDs as well as the Intel. Also, if you were to bump anything up, I'd get a 120-128GB drive over a 60-64GB as relative performance drops a lot when you reduce the # of read/write channels in the smaller drives.
I am able to get Intel products cheap via family member employee discount, hence the 2600K and the Intel SSD. BTW I am getting the 160GB Intel 320, not 60GB.
CA_Steve wrote:What's your monitor resolution and the games you want to play? That'll determine a worthy GPU.
I won't be going above 1900x1200.
CA_Steve wrote:Seasonic x650 is nice. You could easily use the x560, but the x650 is on sale at newegg now for $110.
Exactly! I jumped on that deal which is why I'd like to finish ordering the rest of my components.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:30 am

Ohh, also bear in mind the length of the video card. The R3 is limited to 29 cm, I believe. You should check that before purchasing your video card.
The motherboard seems decent:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/mothe ... review/32/

Anandtech also reviewed the P67 version:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080

Why would you want to buy the Z68 over the P67. Do you need the SSD caching?

Have you decided which CPU heatsink to buy?

Hector

Post by Hector » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:27 am

kuzzia wrote:Ohh, also bear in mind the length of the video card. The R3 is limited to 29 cm, I believe. You should check that before purchasing your video card.
The motherboard seems decent:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/mothe ... review/32/

Anandtech also reviewed the P67 version:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080

Why would you want to buy the Z68 over the P67. Do you need the SSD caching?

Have you decided which CPU heatsink to buy?
Everything I've read recommends Z68 over P67 chipset and the ASRock topped several lists and is reasonably priced at $185 for its feature set.

Thanks for reminding me about the card length. The MSI would fit just fine in that.
Speaking of video cards, does anyone have experience with GIGABYTE GV-N570OC-13I Rev2.0 GeForce GTX 570? It looks like it has an AC Accelero pre-mounted. The total length is 11.1" which is just under the Define R3 limit of 11.5".

I have not chosen a CPU heatsink yet. I've been happy with my Thermalright Ultra-120 in my current Antec Solo case. However, I want a new one that works with this chipset and case. Suggestions?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Another thread with GTX 570 info. Also, X-Bit labs compared a couple of 570's...good for relative performance comparisons if not absolute due to high ambient levels. Here's HT4U's MSI review in Googlish. Finally, Techpowerup review's the Asus card.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 pm

I always recommend the Scythe Mugen 2. The stock fan is superb & can be controlled by software, excellent thermal performance and cheaper than other similar-performing CPU coolers.

Fits in my big brother's Define R3 too.

Hector

Post by Hector » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:07 pm

kuzzia wrote:I always recommend the Scythe Mugen 2. The stock fan is superb & can be controlled by software, excellent thermal performance and cheaper than other similar-performing CPU coolers.

Fits in my big brother's Define R3 too.
Newegg doesn't carry the Mugen 2 anymore as they have the Mugen 3. Can I assume the Mugen 3 is equal to or better than Mugen 3? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185168

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:35 pm

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:41 am

Have you taken a look at the recommended CPU heatsinks?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

It's easier to buy a heatsink with a good stock fan so you don't ned to buy an aftermarket fan. The list, however, lacks the Prolimatech Genesis and the NZXT Havik and probably other heatsinks.

Hector

Post by Hector » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 am

kuzzia wrote:Have you taken a look at the recommended CPU heatsinks?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

It's easier to buy a heatsink with a good stock fan so you don't ned to buy an aftermarket fan. The list, however, lacks the Prolimatech Genesis and the NZXT Havik and probably other heatsinks.
The two I am considering is the Scythe Mugen 3 and Thermalright U120eXtrem1366RT R-C. My concern is fitting the heatsink on the motherboard in the Define R3 along with the GSkill RAM.

Speaking of motherboards I am leaning towards the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 but also considering the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO. Any strong feelings either way?

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:17 am

CA_Steve wrote:Futureproofing for 6 years probably won't work out. However, you can probably get away with a decent build for now and have a CPU/GPU refresh in a few years without replacing the rest of the system.
Futureproofing for 6 years is impossible. If you buy at the right time, you should be able to get 3-4 good years out of a system. After that, you can just play on an old feeling computer for as many hears as you want to keep it running. You can also spend to get up-to-date CPU/GPU/SSD; but that is not a 6-year-old computer any more.
CA_Steve wrote:I think the i7-2600K is not worth the extra $100 over the i5-2500K. Very few (if any) games will show a benefit from it.
The i7 2600k is a bad deal. Take the $100 savings by getting the i5-2500k, and keep in the bank. At credit-card interest rates, in 3 years you can buy the last/best part they make for LGA1156 (the current Intel SB socket).
CA_Steve wrote:What's your monitor resolution and the games you want to play? That'll determine a worthy GPU.
Really the most important decision that a gamer has to make. If you are willing to play at 720p (rather then 1080p), you can play most games on a card that cost $75.

The 720p resolution is only 45% of the detail that you see in a 1080p resolution picture. You can often double the 1080p resolution frame rate if you can't find a FPS published for 720p. The Xbox360 renders all 3D content at 720p and nobody notices or complains. You can sometimes tell in screens where you character must read signs, as the text is not as crisp.
CA_Steve wrote:Take a look at Crucial and Samsung SSDs as well as the Intel. Also, if you were to bump anything up, I'd get a 120-128GB drive over a 60-64GB as relative performance drops a lot when you reduce the # of read/write channels in the smaller drives.
Steve is right about smaller drives being slower drives. I would encourage you to spend a lot of your budget on an SSD.

A 120-300GB SSD would mean that you could install your top couple of games on the SSD as well as all your desktop apps. A larger SSD will also receive less wear -- as it will not be as full, and as it will have more cells to spread the wear among.
CA_Steve wrote:Memory - Might as well get 8GB now as it's cheap. Probably won't see much use over 4GB today. G.Skill ripjaw is fine. However, pick out your CPU cooler first and then make sure you've got clearance for the ram you want.
RAM speeds do not make a significant difference in application performance. If you have an SSD then you do not benefit from having huge unused RAM. (Windows 7 and Linux use the unused RAM to cache a spinning hard drive.) Get 4GB or more, but any more will not help performance as no game comes close to using 4GB. Desktop application RAM use appears to be falling.
CA_Steve wrote:I'm not familiar with the Asrock mobo.
If you are going to keep the computer a long time, make sure that you are getting a recent revision of the board. The most recent revisions should contain the correct components (like VRMs) to run Ivy Bridge CPUs.
CA_Steve wrote:cpu cooler: as mentioned, lots of decent coolers reviewed here.
If you are not overclocking, then fan noise should be more important to you then cooling performance. Get a bolt-through metal design as plastic parts might not stand up to 6 years of 24/7 use in a hot case environment.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:08 am

If you can get the 2600k as cheap as the 2500k or even the 2400, I would advice you to get the 2600k, Though the difference in gaming performance is minor.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2 ... -review/10

Have you considered overclocking? That can improve gaming performance in some games significantly. It shouldn't be that difficult either.

At the same price, I would usually choose the ASUS over ASRock, because the brand is more appealing. But ASRock, which I also like, tends to offer some well thought-out features that you might want. You should choose whatever board you prefer, I guess.

If you are concerned about which CPU heatsink to buy because of the Gskills, then why not choose standard RAM without tall heatsinks? The difference in performance is neglectible, and I doubt that overclocking RAM has a noticeable impact on gaming performance. Why would you need the Gskill ram? And btw, I would personally recommend you to buy a single 4 GB RAM stick instead 2x2 GB, because the single stick is much easier to sell, should you decide to upgrade sometimes in the future.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:26 am

kuzzia wrote:And btw, I would personally recommend you to buy a single 4 GB RAM stick instead 2x2 GB, because the single stick is much easier to sell, should you decide to upgrade sometimes in the future.
I hope you are talking about implementing 8GB with 2x4GB sticks instead of 4 x 2GB. Because if you mean implementing 4GB with 1 x 4GB, it'll seriously impact the memory bandwidth. Memory architecture is dual channel.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:21 am

Well, for the not-so-demanding users, I don't think it has much of an impact, but perhaps for high-end users, I agree that running dual channel has a noticeable impact on the overall performance.