Can a faulty MB make CPU overly hot?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

markanini

Can a faulty MB make CPU overly hot?

Post by markanini » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:38 am

I managed to kill my CPU and MB while testing my modified fan adaptors for 7v. Sadly an un-isolated wire touching the case was enough to cause permanent damage. I'll know better next time. Anyway, I quickly found a 2nd hand Gigabyte 945G MB and Pentium D 930(65nm) for a good price. The problem I'm running into is excessive heat from the CPU. I'm getting 80 degrees Celsius after a only few minutes of prime95. The current cooling is Scythe S-flex 120mm 1200rpm fan mounted on the stock Intel cooler and the same model fan as the rear case fan, also two S-flex 92mm 1500rpm front case fans, all running at full speed. Running any of the fans slower makes the OS unresponsive as if throttling is activated. I'v checked the heatsink mount, bios settings, voltages and all seem okay. My parents Cedar Mill build doesn't show these kind of temperatures.

All of this makes me think there's an issue with the MB but I'm not sure how or how to tell w/o another working board at hand. Any comments appreciated!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Can a faulty MB make CPU overly hot?

Post by xan_user » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:20 am

id put my money on improperly installed or broken pin(s) on the stock intel HS. can you look at back of mob and insure HS retention pins are properly and fully seated?

markanini

Problem solved

Post by markanini » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:41 am

It was the rather large zip-ties I used that prevented the heatsink to make contact with the CPU. :roll: