Quiet but fast build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rossburton

Quiet but fast build

Post by rossburton » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:37 am

Hi,

I'm looking to build a mini-ITX based build server for my home office, so it has to be fairly quiet but also pretty powerful with regards to raw horsepower. The typical use-case will be to automatically wake up at 2am, spend a few hours compiling, copy the results to the NAS and then go back to sleep.

So far I'm looking at the Intel DH67CFB3 mobo with the i5-2400S CPU, with a 2.5" SSD and a 3.5" HDD for system and data, in a Lian Li PC-Q11 (not as I said originally) case. Can anyone spot any obvious problems with this setup, and is the case sufficiently cool for a few hours of 100% CPU usage?

I'll happily accept alternative recommendations, my requirements are front USB, 2.5" and 3.5" bays, and ideally taller-than-wider so it can sit nicely under my desk.

Thanks for any advice,
Ross

HFat

Re: Quiet but fast build

Post by HFat » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:40 am

This isn't such a hot CPU so I don't see a problem as such but I don't understand the point of this build. Assuming you mean it when you say "server", how about one of these two alternatives:
-put your new server some place where noise and size won't be an issue
-replace your NAS with your new server

Assuming you stick with your plan, you could use cheaper parts. There's most likely little point in using a SSD for this (if storage was a bottleneck, you wouldn't have 100% CPU usage). Unless it's got an uncommon feature you want, there are cheaper boards (paying a bit more than strictly necessary to get undervolting might be justified however). And cheaper CPUs such as the 2400 might actually be better for your purpose (see SPCR's review for efficiency measurements). I won't comment on the price of the case since there's a subjective factor involved.

rossburton

Post by rossburton » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:50 am

I don't want to replace the NAS, because the NAS has a very featureful firmware (it's a Synology DS209) that I really can't be bothered to replicate.

There isn't anywhere where the noise wouldn't be a problem.

The disks I already own, otherwise I wouldn't spec a SSD as it's clearly overkill.

The choice of mobo and CPU was purely based on what mini-itx.com is selling. I do work for Intel so I can get components cheap, which is useful.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:21 pm

If it's only under load for a couple hours per day and not a mission-critical thing, why not go with a faster CPU and let it go quicker at a higher temperature? It won't get near Tjunction with remotely decent cooling; I have a 2500k with a Kozuti that barely peaks 70 under synthetic loading and Furmark, which is more than yours will be doing. What about a 2400 or 2320? Cheaper and faster.

HFat

Post by HFat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:03 am

rossburton wrote:The choice of mobo and CPU was purely based on what mini-itx.com is selling. I do work for Intel so I can get components cheap, which is useful.
In that case an Intel makes sense but don't use mini-itx.com's information for what's noisy.
If you really can't put the server anywhere else, avail yourself of the information here to choose a third-party heatsink (Intel's aren't very good) and a PSU. You may also want to replace your case fans as well (I don't know how quiet are the ones provided by Lian Li).