Need MicroATX case for a silent audio build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ashex

Need MicroATX case for a silent audio build

Post by Ashex » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey Guys,

I've been given the opportunity to build out an audio pc for a little studio I'm putting together at work. I've gotten the general parts list together but I'm a bit lost on what case I should go with, I would really like to use the Mini P180 but am not sure if it's the best choice, here's my parts list:

I don't have a need for a VGA card since it's purely for audio recording and I can use the integrated GPU. I originally quoted the manager ~$700 but didn't expect drive cost to be so high (curse the weather) but I'm looking to find a quality silent case $100-150 if possible. Any help guys?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Need MicroATX case for a silent audio build

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm

The Antec Solo 2 would work nicely. In reality, even a decent generic case will work fine, but the HDD suspension of the Solo works better to damp HDD noise/vibration better than anything in any other case out there. Thermally, your system is no challenge, so with the CPU and case fan at min, you should have near silence from everything else in almost any case.

Ashex

Post by Ashex » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks for the recommendation Mike! I'm mostly worried about case vibration from the hard drives as that's always been my problem when going with a generic case. Since there are so few components would there be any real benefit to putting a fan up front with the solo 2?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Ashex wrote:Thanks for the recommendation Mike! I'm mostly worried about case vibration from the hard drives as that's always been my problem when going with a generic case. Since there are so few components would there be any real benefit to putting a fan up front with the solo 2?
Unlikely. If you had a tower HSF with airflow inline w/ back case fan, that would ensure inflow from the front for the HDD, too. To concentrate/direct this airflow, block off all other vents except the one closest to the HDD; the fans will naturally pull in outside air from that front vent.

Ashex

Post by Ashex » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 am

That certainly makes sense, looks like my parts list is complete. Thank you once again Mike!