New build is almost ready - need some help

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MrCrispy

New build is almost ready - need some help

Post by MrCrispy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:11 pm

I've ordered the following parts -

Case: Fractal Design R3
PSU - Seasonic X760
Cpu: i5-2500K
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-LX
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws PC1600 16GB
HSF: Corsair H80

Hopefully these will meet with approval, I spent a lot of time doing research. The goal is to have a totally silent yet overclocked pc. I will be using the integrated gpu for now, an ssd for the OS, and a few data drives.

I need some help with fans. I realize the ones Corsair includes are pretty loud, so I want to replace them. So I'd want high static pressure, good cfm, low noise (<25db?) and also PWM so the Corsair pump unit can control the speed. I've done a fair amount of searching but can't find something. The Yate Loon GT's are out of stock, and even when available are costly. I want to keep the cost low (<$15/fan) since I'll need 2. I'm not sure if the R3 case fans need to be replaced? The other fan which I was looking at was the Enermax T.B Silence 120mm.

Any advice is appreciated.

Deucal

Re: New build is almost ready - need some help

Post by Deucal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:21 pm

PMcG

Post by PMcG » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Deucal wrote:http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html
The recommended list :).
Old list which does not include any PWM fans so it does not help him much.

The PWM slipstreams are nice and inexpensive, I have one on my U12P SE2 and it is near silent. I have also heard good things about the arctic cooling pwm series. Noctua just came out with PWM fans for their high pressure series the P12s as well as a new F12 that looks really nice but those will probably be out of your budget.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Second the Scythe Slipstream PWM SY1225SL12LM-P, depending on the mobo bios/software it can run from 200rpm to 1300rpm.