How does this silent workstation build look?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

professor_x

How does this silent workstation build look?

Post by professor_x » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 pm

I read the excellent silent workstation article, and adapted it to my needs. I need a case that's less than 18", so that it'll fit under my desk.

I'd love some advice on how my build looks:

Motherboard: Intel DP67BG

Case: Fractal Define R3

PSU: SeaSonic S12II

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k

RAM: Pareema, 2x8GB (x2)

Storage: SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH, 120 GB

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460

CPU cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho

GPU cooler: Thermalright Shaman (I haven't found a place I can buy this, so I'd appreciate a link)

The article I linked first also talks about buying some replacement Gelid and Scythe fans - does this still apply to the Fractal Define R3, or should I just buy the one replacement fan that's used for the CPU cooler?
Last edited by professor_x on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbutus

Re: How does this silent workstation build look?

Post by Arbutus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 am

I would build the system without buying any additional fans and see how it works for you. To me very quiet at idle means that the computer would make an almost imperceptible non-annoying sound when you are at a 1 meter distance. This very quiet situation would mean that the computer was around 1 dBa louder than the ambient noise level in the room. I live in a average Canadian city residential neighborhood. The ambient noise level in my den varies throughout the day. I have built my PC so that at idle it is silent during the day and when things quiet down in the late evening I can here a very gentle, faint 'whoosh'.

Have fun...
------ My Main System ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antec P180 spcr_edition, Athlon II X4 640, Scythe NINJA, ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, OCZ Solid 3 120 GByte SSD, 500 GB FXD, WinXP

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: How does this silent workstation build look?

Post by xan_user » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:02 am

WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

agreed that you should see how it sounds stock to you first.