Antec Solo with Xigmatek Gaia

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aphonix

Antec Solo with Xigmatek Gaia

Post by aphonix » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi,

I'm putting together a new build for an Antec Solo case (the original, not the Solo II). I've got everything except the cpu cooler. I'm looking for something with moderately better acoustics and thermals than the stock heatsink in the US $25-$35 range. The Xigmatek Gaia looks like a good option.

Has anyone used the Xigmatek in a Solo? It's 159mm. I've measured the case and I think it will fit, but it looks tight and I can't tell for sure. I don't want to do any case mods to get it in.

The Xigmatek gets good reviews except for Hardware Secrets, which says the mounting system doesn't generate enough pressure on the cpu to create good contact, so the unit doesn't cool as well as it should. No one else seems to have that problem, but if anyone who has tried the Gaia has info about the mounting, it would be great to know one way or the other.

If the Gaia doesn't fit, I'm considering the Gelid Tranquillo or maybe the Xigmatek Loki (with quieter fan) (Hardware Secrets says the Loki has the same mounting problem as the Gaia).

Thanks for any help!

i5 2400
ASRock P67 Pro3
Samsung 830 64GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint 500GB HDD
Asus GT440 (passive)
8GB DDR1333

Worker control

Re: Antec Solo with Xigmatek Gaia

Post by Worker control » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm using a 92mm Xigmatek tower with one Scythe Kama PWM 92, to cool a stock i5-2300, and it seems to work just fine.

Given an ambient 20C, CPUs idle at 33C, load at 53C.

Very quiet. This is in a Solo 1.

aphonix

Re: Antec Solo with Xigmatek Gaia

Post by aphonix » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 am

@Worker control:

Thanks for the info and fan suggestion. Good to know a smaller cooler will still get the job done quietly. I'll consider this option if the Gaia or Tranquillo end up being too big for the Solo.