Low Profile GPU Cooler Recommendation

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nsainfreek

Low Profile GPU Cooler Recommendation

Post by nsainfreek » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 am

I'm looking to build a quiet SFF gaming rig similar to build in the article "Silent SFF Gaming PC Build Guide" on this site. Going to be using the same SG07 case and was hoping someone could recommend a quiet GPU cooler that would fit. The Scythe Musashi that is detailed in that build has been discontinued so I'm not sure what other quiet low profile gpu coolers are out there that would fit in this case. I'm probably going to be using either the same 6870 card or a GTX 560 ti. Any input would be appreciated.

CA_Steve

Re: Low Profile GPU Cooler Recommendation

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:07 am

Might want to hold off a bit on your build to get the 7xxx versions. Supposedly mid feb for 77xx and sometime in march for 78xx. The 79xx released with aftermarket cooling solutions rather than just stock amd blower. So, hopefully, the rest will as well. From the 79xx reviews, it looks like a 30% improvement on performance/watt over the 6xxx.

nsainfreek

Post by nsainfreek » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I haven't built a PC in a while so not up to date on all the new stuff that's coming out. I guess I'll wait on the new cards that will be coming out. Any idea of the price range? The 6870 can be had for about $170 on Amazon. Even if I get one of the newer cards the cooler that comes with them probably will be on the louder side so I'm still looking for a low profile cooler that is as quiet as possible. Would new models of coolers come out when these new cards come out?

Ivy Bridge processors are coming out some time this year too. I dunno, I think I could wait on new tech forever since stuff keeps coming out.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 pm

I doubt whether any cooler capable of quietly cooling a 6870 (tdp 151W) can be "low profile". Almost any decent cooler will take up at least 2 slots (beyond the PCIe slot of the card). The only aftermarket coolers that don't take up more room than the original 6870s are probably passive, like Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 PLUS. The Sugo 7 has wide open panel vents on the VGA side, so if you get a VGA card with a decently quiet stock cooler, at least it should stay reasonably quiet at lower video loads.

nsainfreek

Post by nsainfreek » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks for the input MikeC. In SilentPCReview's SFF Gaming Build they used a Scythe Musashi which fit in the Sugo 7. Is there a cooler out there that is similar in size to that?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Price is a toss up until they come out.

DG

Post by DG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 am

Setsugen 2 could be an option.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 am

nsainfreek wrote:Thanks for the input MikeC. In SilentPCReview's SFF Gaming Build they used a Scythe Musashi which fit in the Sugo 7. Is there a cooler out there that is similar in size to that?
Zerotherm coolers are pretty low profile. The 4000 is their top model, but may not be compatible with the ATI 6000s.

One other option -- if you are a modder -- is to simply cut an opening on the case cover for your chosen VGA cooler to protrude out through. This will have no effect on noise -- that side of the case is acoustically transparent anyway.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:26 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Price is a toss up until they come out.
$109 for the 7750, $159 for the 7770, more for ones with factory overclocks or better coolers.