My PC Monitors have suddenly stopped working... Please help!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Max Dread

My PC Monitors have suddenly stopped working... Please help!

Post by Max Dread » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:50 am

Hi all

I suddenly lost all signal to my TFTs tonight. They remain on standby, but shutting down/booting up the PC does not get them going as it usually does. I've checked all the connections, and I've just taken the graphics card out to give the slot and connectors a clean. Re-installed and no luck.

I'm guessing the GC has died but I wondered if anything else might be causing the problem that I could check?

Unfortunately, my mobo does not have integrated graphics for me to check.

Mobo = Intel DP35DP.
GC = 9600GT with an Accelero S1.

I'm guessing this could well be something to do with it.... I currently have my PC and TFTs (and a few other bits) plugged into one 8-way plug adapter. I am then feeding a 6-way from the 8-way, and my two powered speakers are plugged into the 6-way (so that I can turn them off when I'm not listening to music but AM using the PC).

When the problem occurred, I had just lent over and switched off the 6-way in order to turn the speakers off. Looked up again and nothing on the TFTs.

Could this have caused the problem and if so how?

Cheers

Max

HFat

Re: My PC Monitors have suddenly stopped working... Please h

Post by HFat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:50 am

Monitors with no signal shouldn't be completely blank. And they have buttons you can use to bring up a menu and such.
Hopefully you can hook them up to someone's laptop or something to test them.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 am

Hi

I have managed to do that now and the TFTs do indeed work on the laptop..... So do you think that points to the GC or something else?

Cheers for the reply

Max

ces

Post by ces » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:03 am

Max Dread wrote:So do you think that points to the GC or something else?
Yes. Either that or less likely, your memory. Can you confirm that your PSU is working?

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:37 am

ces wrote:Yes. Either that or less likely, your memory. Can you confirm that your PSU is working?
I can confirm that the PC boots and loads windows. So the PSU works well enough to do that...... Not sure how else I would test it.

As for the RAM, I have two sticks installed.... So I tried booting with just one stick, and then swapped and booted with just the other stick. Again, loaded to Windows both times.

jacksena

Post by jacksena » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:15 am

You should reinstall your graphics card drivers and restore your PC registry settings finally scan your PC with Malware Protection for detect virus from your PC.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks jacksena, but those things won't be possible as I cannot see anything!!! I'm currently looking for another GC I can try out in the machine, and i guess if that fixes the problem I will know that old GC was the problem./ If not, I still won't be able to see anything....