Connecting motherboard to case pannel

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mettyx

Connecting motherboard to case pannel

Post by Mettyx » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:56 am

I built 3 PCs so far but I never understood how to connect motherboard to case reset, power, USB and HDD indicator without guesswork, and just trying different combinations with those tiny wires?

Does anyone know how to discern that, which wire goes where and on what side(as I recall there is some business with +/-). I don't know how to connect to USB case panel too. And some wires have no markings at all.

This is the only thing that bothered me whenever I built a PC.

lodestar

Re: Connecting motherboard to case pannel

Post by lodestar » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 am

This will be covered in the motherboard manual, which may be available online. With unmarked cables black wires are normally negative.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Oh yes, you are talking about those incomprehensible tables in the manual, you still have to try every combination to make it right.

or this

It all seems so clear and sensible but when you hold the physical wires in your hands and see no markings and no order...what's the trick?

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:55 pm

1) Switches can be connected either way around.
2) lodestar's tip of black=negative works for LEDs in most cases. Some have less obvious colour schemes, but usually the negative wire will be the same colour for all pairs, or will be the darker of each pair.

It would be nice if there was a standard, so all the wires could be collected in one big connector.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:12 pm

The most fun of all is when the chassis front panel connector has a space for a dead pin in the middle, and the motherboard doesn't, so you have to cut the connector in half and rotate the half of the empty pin slot outwards to connect it.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Mr Evil wrote: It would be nice if there was a standard, so all the wires could be collected in one big connector.
:evil: That would indeed be nice.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Many new Auss motherboards include a Q-Connector kit (I assume Q is for Quick), which is an seperate male/female device which is labled similar to the motherboard that you first plug the case wires into, and then put the entire Q-Connector into the motherboard all at once. Makes it a lot easier to see what you are doing. If you want more info, you can download a newer model Asus motherboard manul from their site where it is explained in more detail with pics.