New condo = new, smaller PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

midiman

New condo = new, smaller PC

Post by midiman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 am

My girlfriend and I have rented out a new condo. Moving to it means changing my huge workspace room with a nice big Ikea desk to a tiny little area on the wall in our new living room. So the smaller the better.

I have to power 2x Dell U2410's, 3x 3.5" hard drives, and 2x SSDs. I'm OK with the SSDs just "lying around" inside a case rather than being screwed in, but the 3.5" drives should be inside the case and screwed in.

My biggest usage has moved to mostly coding and Lightroom work. LR4 is a complete drag now, so I have to stuff in a 2nd gen core i5 or i7 (quad) and at least 8GB of ram.

On hand the only thing I have that is reusable is an Apex MI-008. Its quiet enough, but I'm using a Nexus fan where it would normally have the third 3.5" HD. So I don't think it'll work. Besides, the PSU is awful and there's very little space for a heatsink.

Target price is under $700. Silence is not required, but my current rig is extremely quiet (Antec P182 with foam, fanless GPU, 3x Nexus 120mm's and Seasonic 330) and I'd like to achieve almost the same.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: New condo = new, smaller PC

Post by kuzzia » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:28 am

I'm a little confused. Do you need all components for a new system or are you going to reuse some parts?