Advice Requested for Bedroom HTPC build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PlayingQuietly

Advice Requested for Bedroom HTPC build

Post by PlayingQuietly » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:56 pm

First of all thank you to everyone who has contributed to this site by either posting, replying, or documenting a review. I have spent several hours researching on the site over the past few weeks. This post is a result of collecting little tidbits of information from several different locations on the site.

I'm looking to build my first HTPC that will be kept in my bedroom on a dresser next to the TV a few feet from the foot of my bed (about 10-12 feet from our pillows). Since the HTPC will have to be on all the time to record live TV even when we're sleeping, I need it to be as quiet as possible. I have built 3 or 4 PCs in the past 10 years but never with a focus on silence.

Uses: I plan to replace a WD TV Live Hub 1TB Media Center which is too slow and function-limited for my liking. This HPTC will be used for ripping & watching DVDs (from my own collection), Hulu, Netflix, and for watching & recording live HD TV (Comcast sadly). I currently have a 42" 720p TV but I'm sure that will eventually be replaced with a 1080p or 4k TV in the next few years. Also I don't currently have any Blu-rays in my collection, but I'm sure that will eventually change in the next few years. I don't plan to do any gaming on the PC. Gone are the days that I can sit uninterrupted absorbed in my favorite games. I have little mini-me's running around vying for my attention now.

Build list:

Own already (courtesy of kind family members who got a hold of my online wishlists):
  • Case: Silverstone Grandia GD05 - SPCR Review
  • Power Supply: Seasonic SS-460FL2 460W Fanless - SPCR Review
  • Tuner: SiliconDust HDHR3-CC HDHomeRun PRIME
*Note that all of this is still in the box, so if anything should be swapped for something different, I'm not opposed.

Plan to buy (via this site's click-through links):
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor
  • CPU Fan: Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B - SPCR Review
  • Case Fans: 3x Nexus Silent 120mm - SPCR Review
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97M-PLUS
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10
  • Video Card: Asus GTX660
  • OS Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD
  • Media Storage: WD Red WD30EFRX 3TB - SPCR Review
  • Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray Drive Model UH12NS30
I am open to any and all advice on what should change. I'm fortunate enough to have a good job and I'm not on that tight of a budget so I'm willing to spend where it makes sense. A couple specific components I'm questioning are as follows.
  1. Processor - Am I going overboard here? Should I go with an i3 model instead? I'm willing to pay the difference for good performance but I don't want to force myself into the need for excessive cooling. Also I don't plan to do any OCing due to concerns with my inexperience at it, but I'm open to underclocking if there is a benefit to limiting noise levels.
  2. Power Supply - I was gifted the 460W one since I had it sitting in my wishlist based on positive reviews here, but I'm open to swapping it for a lower wattage one if it's recommended to do so. Also I'm not certain this PSU is ideal considering the case I have has external vents for a PSU fan.
  3. Memory - Is 16GB overboard? I saw someone in these forums mention RAM disk which is new to me but sounds appealing. I picked the specific model I did due to the low clearance but I'm open to suggestions from Asus's QVL for the Z97M-PLUS.
  4. Video Card - Do I even need a discrete video card for my use case?
Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to my post.
-Jamie

Abula

Re: Advice Requested for Bedroom HTPC build

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Welcome to SPRC.
PlayingQuietly wrote:Processor - Am I going overboard here? Should I go with an i3 model instead? I'm willing to pay the difference for good performance but I don't want to force myself into the need for excessive cooling. Also I don't plan to do any OCing due to concerns with my inexperience at it, but I'm open to underclocking if there is a benefit to limiting noise levels.
Well seems you going to be ripping, depends if its something usual, i would go with i5, but if its something that you wont do as much, i would go with i3 and save $100. There is also no need to go into Z97 and K CPU, you can save some $$$ going with the H97 and none K cpu.
PlayingQuietly wrote:Power Supply - I was gifted the 460W one since I had it sitting in my wishlist based on positive reviews here, but I'm open to swapping it for a lower wattage one if it's recommended to do so. Also I'm not certain this PSU is ideal considering the case I have has external vents for a PSU fan.
Without a dedicated GPU you wont even draw 150W, so i dont think the PSU will get too hot either way. But there are not that many options of low power PSU, unless you go into picoPSU or alikes. I think its fine the 400W or 460W, you might change you mind in time about HTPC and the way you render, some filters do take advantage of dedicated GPUs, and then its nice to have a little overhead for it.
PlayingQuietly wrote:Memory - Is 16GB overboard? I saw someone in these forums mention RAM disk which is new to me but sounds appealing. I picked the specific model I did due to the low clearance but I'm open to suggestions from Asus's QVL for the Z97M-PLUS.
I would suggest 8gb, but depending on your ripping software might take advantage of more, but usual day to day basis on usual HTPC setup, 8 is good enough, even 4 might be fine as long as you are not multitasking much.
PlayingQuietly wrote:Video Card - Do I even need a discrete video card for my use case?
The intel hd4600 will work fine for anything none gaming related, so i would suggest to not buy a dedicated GPU at least before testing the HD4600. Some software do take benefit from dedicated GPUs, but i would suggest to check AVSForum, as it seems they prefer AMD over Nvidia for pure HTPC. If you do end up buying a dedicated GPU, look into Asus STRIX series, there are in both AMD and nvidia, they are semi passive so would end up pretty decent for HTPC.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Nope, you don't need a discrete video card to rip/playback DVDs/BD/etc. at 720 or 1080p. It'll also support 4k/30Hz. If you are doing encoding/transcoding, then it depends on what you are using. Anandtech reviewed an Intel NUC with an i5-4250U and found using QuickSync + MadVR @1080p60 H.264 utilized 60% of the GPU and 28% of the CPU. This also leads to the Devil's Canyon i5 being a tad overkill.

Is the Grandia your preferred form factor? Is the GD05 your ideal case? If you don't have a video card and just have an SSD and a media drive, there are some interesting WAF friendly alternatives.

CPU: You could go with an i3. An i5 will speed up Handbrake and the like. Wander through Anandtech's Bench. An 84W TDP CPU in the GD05 with the Big Shuruken might run warm when encoding (high 60's), but should be fine for all other tasks.

Nope - don't need 16GB. 2x4GB is fine.

SSD: Go with the 250GB. The 120GB takes a dive in write speeds.

Ok, Abula types faster than me.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Just one wee suggestion: If the internal HDD is meant to hold all your media -- ie, you don't have or don't plan on having a NAS or home server, then go for the highest capacity HDD. It's shocking how quickly one always fills up all the available storage space. (OK, that's true for me anyway, and -- judging by stats of rocketing sales in the storage sector -- for most folks out there). I'd go at least 4TB.

Nothing wrong with using that PSU btw. It will deliver what the system demands, whether 460W or 46W, and they are quite robust.

Abula & CA_Steve's advice is sound.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:17 am

PlayingQuietly wrote:I don't want to force myself into the need for excessive cooling. Also I don't plan to do any OCing due to concerns with my inexperience at it, but I'm open to underclocking if there is a benefit to limiting noise levels.

Abula, Steve and Mike already gave you lots of sound advices.

You may also check whether a standard height fan fit: a good sounding 1200rpm 25mm fan won't give you any advantage in cooling but it would be beneficial noise-wise.

PlayingQuietly wrote:Video Card - Do I even need a discrete video card for my use case?

In my opinion, no: without it, an 80-90W Pico/brick combo may be also a valuable option, noise & heat wise (but far from mandatory).

PlayingQuietly

Post by PlayingQuietly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 am

Wow thank you all so much for your valuable feedback. As for the case I didn't really think about the large footprint before adding it to my wishlist a few months back. I have it now and like the fact that it gives room to work compared to the smaller alternatives recommended on this site. Our TV sits on a stand with a 100mm slot below it that I originally planned to use for my HTPC but realize that the case definitely won't fit there. I'm pretty handy with woodworking so I'll likely modify the TV stand to accommodate that case. That will make sure it's generally out of the way in order to maintain wife approval. Out of curiosity, what is a general rule of thumb for clearance surrounding a case? Since I'll be modifying it, I can really make the clearance as much as is reasonably needed.

It sounds like I could make some tweaks.
  • CPU - Downgrade to Intel Core i3-4360
  • SSD - Upgrade to 256 GB to improve write speeds
  • HDD - Upgrade to 4TB
  • Motherboard - Downgrade to Asus H97M-PLUS
  • Video Card - Not needed at this time but if I decide to add one in the future Asus Strix GTX750 may be an option to consider.
  • PSU - Could be swapped to a PicoPSU. Honestly I'll probably keep it since I have it and it does give some capacity to add
  • Memory - Downgrade to 2x 4GB
Thank you again!
-Jamie

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:35 am

PlayingQuietly wrote:Out of curiosity, what is a general rule of thumb for clearance surrounding a case? Since I'll be modifying it, I can really make the clearance as much as is reasonably needed.

It sounds like I could make some tweaks....
I like to leave 2" space around all the vented sides, with open back & front -- or baffled, if you know what I mean. This ensures the cabinet doesn't impeded airflow at all. Going down to 1" is OK if necessary, but no less than that. This is based on 10 years of experience with many HTPCs & cabinets for my own personal use. I woodwork, too. ;)

Your tweaks are great -- but no need to picoPSU. I don't think it's going to give you much advantage & there are many drawbacks, one of which is the unavoidable bulky AC/DC adapter kicking around on the floor. Except at super low power draw (say <40W) where the efficiency differences mean the least, the Seasonic is actually more efficient; I calculated once that the highest total efficiency you could get with a picoPSU was maybe 87% (?? memory is flaky on this one) with the highest efficiency adapter.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 am

Here's some alternatives:

- Go with a passive case. Check out the HDPLEX and Streacom reviews for some examples.

- Have the HDD(s) elsewhere. If you are a multiple PC household, consider putting a small NAS next to wherever your router is for file backups and media storage. Use your bedroom PC to do the heavy lifting and store the media on the NAS.

- Go really small: Get an Intel NUC and put it in an Akasa Newton or Tranquil PC or similar case. Go with an external ODD.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:58 am

@Steve good options, but I think OP wants to use the Silverstone Grandia GD05 he already has.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:48 am

PlayingQuietly wrote:Memory - Downgrade to 2x 4GB[/list]
One last suggestion, if available to you, my favorite ram atm is the Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0, its truly low profile (corsair is standard profile even when they say its low profile), its low voltage 1.35v, I have build with it on 3 different pcs, all working great. Im building on Asus H97i on the weekend, should be very similar to your Asus H97M-Plus, in case you want to know if i run in any issues.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:53 am

yeah, 2nded. nice ram.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:39 am

xan_user wrote:@Steve good options, but I think OP wants to use the Silverstone Grandia GD05 he already has.
I took this line to heart:
*Note that all of this is still in the box, so if anything should be swapped for something different, I'm not opposed.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:04 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
xan_user wrote:@Steve good options, but I think OP wants to use the Silverstone Grandia GD05 he already has.
I took this line to heart:
true enough. i guess i was ruling that out due to shipping and restocking fees on that big of an item, but if thats not an issue... then by all means.

Director9

Post by Director9 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:14 am

Abula wrote:
PlayingQuietly wrote:Memory - Downgrade to 2x 4GB[/list]
One last suggestion, if available to you, my favorite ram atm is the Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0, its truly low profile (corsair is standard profile even when they say its low profile), its low voltage 1.35v, I have build with it on 3 different pcs, all working great. Im building on Asus H97i on the weekend, should be very similar to your Asus H97M-Plus, in case you want to know if i run in any issues.
3rd that RAM, it'll never impede any cpu cooler you place, used it myself :)

sn1009

Post by sn1009 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:38 am

PlayingQuietly wrote:OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8.1 (non-Pro) should suffice. Might save you a bit $
PlayingQuietly wrote:Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray Drive Model UH12NS30
Check user feedback related to noise and/or check if the drive is supported by CDBremse or similar application that will enable you to reduce the read speed.
The noise generated by the ODD during a movie-playback can be really annoying - even when the read speed is reduced.
CA_Steve wrote:Have the HDD(s) elsewhere
+1. Also, consider having the ODD elsewhere.