New HTPC build (streacom FC10 alpha)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

knutinh

New HTPC build (streacom FC10 alpha)

Post by knutinh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:45 am

It is time to replace my old core2/Silverstone HTPC.

I am looking at the following:
ASUS B85M-G, Socket-1150 m-ATX, B85, DDR3, 1xPCIe-x16, VGA, DVI, HDMI, Haswell
Streacom FC10 Alpha
Streacom ZF240 240W ZeroFlex PSU (or Streacom NANO150 PSU Adapter?)
Streacom ST-OB3 DVD±RW/Blu-Ray Writer
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB 8GB kit(4GBx2), CL9, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
Intel Core i7-4790S Socket-LGA1150, Quad Core, 3.2GHz, 8MB, 65W, 22nm, HD4600, Boxed w/fan
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Looking to run Windows 7 64 and update to Windows 10 when it is available later this year.

Is this a decent choice? Will I be spending lots of time on assembling the heatpipes (I have done lots of PC assembly, but this will be my first fanless). Is the powersupply power rating vs system load vs cooling capacity decently balanced?

The number of memory chips is vast. I must admit that I don't have the inclination to really dig into the specs, rather picking what seemed like a decently priced 8 GB product. I don't really need a Bluray writer, but since the price was about the same as the reader, I am inclined to choose it.

I believe that the 4790s provides currently-decent performance within the 65W envelope:
http://anandtech.com/show/8774/intel-ha ... 90s-tested
A 65W Broadwell w/iris pro ("Crystal well") would be even nicer:
http://anandtech.com/show/9053/unlocked ... l-at-gdc15

-k

CA_Steve

Re: New HTPC build (streacom FC10 alpha)

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:09 am

I can't comment on the difficulty level of assembly...there are a bunch of Streacom reviews. Seems workable. They have a lot of info on their site.

I'd opt for an H97 over the B85 for HTPC. Better DPC latency, better firmware. Make sure your pick meets the CPU placement rules for the case. If not sure, email Streacom.

Other than the generic HTPC label, how are you planning to use the PC? If you aren't doing a LOT of video transcoding or similar high task/use of hyperthreading apps, you could easily drop down to an i5. If all you are doing is watching streaming content, etc, you can drop down to an i3.

In any case, your stressed load power with a 65W CPU is around 100W. So, the 150W PSU is plenty.

The memory looks fine. There is a 1.35V version with same specs that could be better in the no-fan environment.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:45 am

knutinh wrote:A 65W Broadwell w/iris pro ("Crystal well") would be even nicer:
http://anandtech.com/show/9053/unlocked ... l-at-gdc15

knutinh

Post by knutinh » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 am

CA_Steve wrote:I can't comment on the difficulty level of assembly...there are a bunch of Streacom reviews. Seems workable. They have a lot of info on their site.

I'd opt for an H97 over the B85 for HTPC. Better DPC latency, better firmware. Make sure your pick meets the CPU placement rules for the case. If not sure, email Streacom.

Other than the generic HTPC label, how are you planning to use the PC? If you aren't doing a LOT of video transcoding or similar high task/use of hyperthreading apps, you could easily drop down to an i5. If all you are doing is watching streaming content, etc, you can drop down to an i3.

In any case, your stressed load power with a 65W CPU is around 100W. So, the 150W PSU is plenty.

The memory looks fine. There is a 1.35V version with same specs that could be better in the no-fan environment.
I find that servicing my current Silverstone LC16M is more work than a standard PC tower. Thus I want "set and forget" install, rather than tinkering too much (or upgrading stuff every now and then). I have also gotten a wired ethernet at home and a NAS, so internal storage has become less relevant (just want a fast-ish SSD for OS and applications).

Availability of the streacom seems to be may 17th over here (delays in the introduction of the new "alpha" finish?)

The H97 seems to be the thing for Haswell 65W (or the Broadwell 65W that is expected this summer). Then there is always the Skylake 65W that should be introduced this autumn (august 15th? with accompanying Z170 chipset). Intel has been really dull for desktop users lately, but now there may perhaps finally be something happening.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2428363
4k@60fps over HDMI would have been very nice for HTPC use.

Point taken about the PSU (too bad about the external wart). The point about 1.35V memory is that it can work at higher temps or what?

I am using this computer for running Adobe Lightroom, video playback, streaming,... Functionally, I guess that something like the Apple TV could do a lot of that, but I prefer having a functionally flexible box.

-k

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:09 am

RAM: 1.35V RAM uses less power, so the RAM will run cooler - about 80% of the temp rise for the same model. Useful in a passive case.

CPU and apps: Lightroom is the only app that uses significant horsepower.. Version 6 just released last week and it makes use of CPU hyperthreading and GPU acceleration for edit rendering (previous versions didn't).

So, the i7 could provide a bump in performance over an i5 - haven't seen any benchmarks, yet. As for the integrated gfx side....rumor/leaked slides indicate a 65W socketed Broadwell CPU with Iris Pro gfx coming out in June. That could be interesting.