Next Generation Monitors

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gte619n

Next Generation Monitors

Post by gte619n » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:58 am

Hey Guys,

So we all hate noise. If you're like me, you ALSO hate wires. I really really hate wires. I currently use a triple monitor setup of three 20" Dell 2007WFP monitors. These things have been absolute WORKHORSES. As I'm thinking about my next workstation (currently a 2600k in a 2u case mounted up under my desk) I've started to think about new monitors. With all this 4K talk, I think it might be getting to be close to time to upgrade.

I was wondering if anyone could clarify the new cabling technologies that can be used to drive 4k monitors? I know that there are some Display Port (1.3) stuff, but I was hoping that maybe USB-C could be used to drive the monitor, power and USB ports? Is that on the roadmap? Are there any video cards that offer a single wire connection to a monitor (including power?)

Thanks!

E

gte619n

Re: Next Generation Monitors

Post by gte619n » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Hey fellas,

It's bit a while since I posted about the single cable monitor dream for power, video and USB. I was wondering if there'd been any sort of movement in this space? I know that the new LG 38" widescreen can take a USB-C connector for DisplayPort, but I don't think that's a single cable solution. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

E

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Atm only DP and HDMI can move 4k resolutions, and only the latest iterations.

I think USB-C seems like a standard that most will move.... in video, maybe... but i somewhat doubt it as main solution. You might be able to get some USB monitors but not the high end type. Thunderbolt was also meant to be all around solution, still i havent seen it being adopted widely, and probably never will either.

For video i think HDMI and DP are here to stay, no other standard in the near future seems to be rivaling either.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:23 am

I love cables. ;) Through them I can transfer a ton of information with very little hassle. Is the work required when installing the stuff really that hard? I zip tie everything down under the desk. I don't even use a cordless mouse, though I can see that they make sense.

gte619n

Post by gte619n » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:39 am

Vicotnik wrote:I love cables.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:02 am

Cable management is my OCD. :D

edh

Post by edh » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:36 am

...or hide the cables in the wall/monitor mount that you are using. There are always ways of hiding cables.

Char

Post by Char » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:19 am

Well, to come back to the initial question: You will not have a single-cable solution any time soon. Why? Because you won't get power and data through a single cable any time soon. The power cables are not specified to transmit data, and the data cables can transport limited amounts of power.

... oh wait.

I just did in fact look up the USB specifications and it turns out that the maximum power draw of USB 3.1 is 100W, enough to drive most monitors. The drawback would be that you tax the power requirements of your screen onto the PSU in your computer. I wonder if something like that is going to come up any time soon. But it seems like USB 3.1 is currently the only option (HDMI and DisplayPort do not support power, I think).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:43 am

While USB 3.1 has the capability to handle 100W for power delivery, mfrs treat monitors as hubs rather than an endpoint. So, more likely that the monitor will plug into the wall and provide source power for devices rather than be a sink.