Won't power up - motherboard?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Won't power up - motherboard?

Post by SebRad » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:42 am

Hi All, the other day I left the PC on backing up files and some hours later when i came back to it is was completely off, which was unusual.
Since then it will not power up at all. The power, reset and 'TPU' LEDs on the motherboard light up but when pressing power nothing happens, except the PSU clicks. It's normal for my PSU (Antec Signature 650w) to emit click on power on and off, now it clicks on and immediately off again. (<1 second between)
I've tried another PSU, Seasonic S12 380 and nothing obviously happens when trying to power up with that one.
I've removed the motherboard from case and just sitting on test bench with only CPU and RAM installed.
I've tried other RAM and 2 different GPUs (all known to work on other PC) and even another CPU (that known to work) and always the same, no power up.

I tried my CPU, i7-2600K in couple of Ivybridge PCs at work and they would power up but not post. I suspect they are just not compatible with the CPU, rather than the CPU has failed. Especially as my motherboard behaves just the same with the Ivybridge CPU (which it definitely compatible with), or even with no CPU.

I've examined the motherboard and can't see anything obviously broken/damaged.
Anyone think if there is anything else I can try or if the motherboard is likely failed.

I can't believe the money s1155 motherboards make on eBay, especially Z68 and Z77!

Many thank,
Seb

CA_Steve

Re: Won't power up - motherboard?

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:38 am

A long shot - remove the CMOS battery and do a reset.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:02 pm

My ASUS Gene V (Z77) died about the same way last week (mem ok light up but it won't power up, out of the blue) and, as well as you, I don't know why.

My advice is to resell the 2600K + DDR3 and buy a DDR4 Skylake (if you can afford).

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks for the sugestion Steve, I've already tried leaving with no power or CMOS battery for some time. No change unfortunately.
I plan to contact Asus next week when their helpline reopens and see if/how they can help.

Yes Luca that is now my plan, hope/assume the CPU is ok and looks like worth £125 on eBay, which is more than a i3 Skylake, that would be ample for my current uses, using the IGP too.
8GB DDR4 little more than 8GB DDR3 too and, happily I got a great deal on Z170XP-SLI board on eBay. From a computer part retailers ebay clearance, I guess had been sold and returned but I can't see much sign of use, even the periferal bags are still sealed, new price £110 and I got it for £50 :D

If down the road I need more power again I can upgrade to i5/i7, presumably even Kaby Lake or even Cannon Lake, when ever they appear. Added to the M2 slot for fast SSD, USB 3.1 and possibility of 1 or 2 graphics card should give a good platform for the future.

Only question is whether Noctua NH-C14 is over kill for a Skylake i3? :lol:

Many thanks,
Seb

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:53 pm

SebRad wrote:Only question is whether Noctua NH-C14 is over kill for a Skylake i3? :lol:
In SPCR we dont know what overkill is, seriously, it probably is, but really don't matter, it will allow you to run even lower rpms, so more quiet setup. If money is not an issue, go for it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:58 pm

SebRad wrote:which is more than a i3 Skylake, that would be ample for my current uses, using the IGP too.
If you're going for an IGP, do you think you need the HT? It might be not, so check it out: a G4500 would be a much higher, tempting value, over the expensive i3.

SebRad wrote:happily I got a great deal on Z170XP-SLI board on eBay
Gigabyte? That's almost an anathema on SPCR... :P :wink:

SebRad wrote:Added to the M2 slot for fast SSD

I'm afraid you ain't got that much speed gain over your MX100 (http://www.silentpcreview.com/Samsung_950_Pro). :?

SebRad wrote:Only question is whether Noctua NH-C14 is over kill for a Skylake i3? :lol:
Given the small TDP (and the absence of a buffer cooler), it might even end up with quite the opposite outcome: but it's a marvelous piece of cooling. :twisted:

BTW, somehow enjoy this unfortunate occurrence, and please report us on the nouvelle Gigabyte vogue (will it be Speedfan compatible?) and all your novelties! :mrgreen:

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:49 pm

Gigabyte? That's almost an anathema on SPCR... :P :wink:
????

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:09 am

DanceMan wrote:????

They are renowned for somehow not convincing fan control.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:24 am

I will of course report back when I eventually get it all together.
I'll find a way to make fan control work, probably.

I built a PC for my brother a while back with Gigabyte H110M-S2V (iirc) and G4500 and Speedfan didn't work with that, nor did Gigabyte's own software offer any fan control options either! (That I could find that would work with the board) Even the BIOS options where just 'loud','normal','silent' however on silent the rear case fan (Noctua 120mm) and CPU fan (Arctic Alpine 11GT) were throttled back far enough to be quiet and even under synthetic load didn't wind up much due to low power/temperatures so all is well with it.
Not that it will be noticed one bit how quiet or noisy it is!

I'm aware of the CPU options, I think, G4400 is very cheap, but half the GPU, G4500 probably sweet, i3 add HT and 200MHz. I'm leaning to the i3 due to suspecting it will be much longer than I expect before I upgrade, if ever, and touch more performance doesn't hurt, even though currently the G4400 would be fine! The diff is large in % term but only ~£50 from G4400 to i3 6100 so not large in absolute terms.

Hopefully in the future (NVME) PCIe SSDs will offer noticeably significantly more performance than SATA, it's nice to have the option anyway.

Thanks,
Seb