Last question before to process the order

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bokka

Last question before to process the order

Post by Bokka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:56 am

Hello, I have another question before the definitive check out:

Between these 3 CPU cooler, what is the most silent model?

- Noctua NH-D15S
- Cryorig H7
- Scythe Mugen 5

According the releative official sites, this is the specs:

Cryorig

Mugen 5

Noctua

The cooloers produces the same noise level, except for the noctua with L.N.A. (wich I don't know)

The specs for my systems is the following:

- Case: Fractal Define R5
- CPU: Intel I7 7700
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270 HD3P
- Power Supply: Corsair RM650X
- GPU: Gigabyte Geforce 1060 6GB OC Windforce

What is your final reccomendation for the quietest system and specially for the cpu cooler? I don't want to hear the pc when I use it.

Thanks a lot again!

quest_for_silence

Re: Last question before to process the order

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:24 am

Bokka wrote:According the releative official sites, this is the specs:

Declared specs count about nothing.

Bokka wrote:What is your final reccomendation for the quietest system and specially for the cpu cooler? I don't want to hear the pc when I use it.

First of all, it matters a lot how you run the CPU fan: I don't know how good the Gigabyte board is at (ASUS and ASRock are more proven options), some recent reviews wrote they somehow stepped up, but YMMV.

Then, the Cryorig H7 and Mugen 5 are untested (particularly their fans): so, once more, YMMV.

Eventually, if those were your actual options, the Noctua looks like the safest bet, and in a Define R5 you shouldn't be able to hear its fan at the lowest speed (I'm not taking into account the ULNA adaptor), given the case insulation effect and that the relevant noise floor should also be a smidge higher.

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 am

Grazie per le risposte (sono italiano anche io)

Thanks for the answers!! I will proceed with the noctua, at this point I am a little undecided on the motherboard, because currently I have an Asus wanted to change brands.
I want to switch to another brand because Asus have not released the utilities updated for Windows 10 for my board, and the same boards of the other brands yes.
And in addition to this I want to try another brand. I had a gigabyte board years ago, and was fine.

P.s. I don't overclock.

P.s. 2: Excuse me for my bad english :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:07 am

Welcome here, bokka.

Well, if you're in Italy you should have lots of other options for the CPU cooler, albeit the D15s should be fine (but expensive: a more modestly priced Scythe Fuma or Ninja 4 may be as good as it is with the stock 7700; even that Mugen 5 could be good, but I read a german review saying the new FDB fan has some bearing noise, so given I have no experience about it, I said the Noctua is a safer bet).

About Gigabyte, they are fine boards usually, they just didn't care that much about extensive, fine grained fan control, up to now: if you wanna give them a try, I'd advice to order it on Amazon Italia, because you may return it at no charge, using the reason "incompatible" (in case the relevant fan control should turn out not that good).

Check twice your PSU and GPU of choice: the PSU is pointlessly powerful (a good 400W is plenty, almost twice the capacity you need), the GPU is not their quietest 1060 (which should be the Xtreme Gaming 6Gb).

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:12 am

Why the PSU should be oversized? In the end if my components consume (for example) to the maximum 250W at full load, the power supply will deliver 250W, the same thing will make even a 500W power supply, but a 650W will do "less work" and probably the fan will turn less quickly and consequently it will make less noise.
If you mean a purchase price discourse then, I give you reason, a 650W costs more than a 500W.

...or am I wrong?

Ok, for the video card, now I look for a quieter card, thanks for the advice.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:38 am

Bokka wrote:Why the PSU should be oversized? In the end if my components consume (for example) to the maximum 250W at full load, the power supply will deliver 250W, the same thing will make even a 500W power supply, but a 650W will do "less work" and probably the fan will turn less quickly and consequently it will make less noise.
If you mean a purchase price discourse then, I give you reason, a 650W costs more than a 500W.

...or am I wrong?
Yes and no.

Without overclocking your expected gaming power draw should be around 200-220W at most (stress testing and synthetic benchmarks set aside): on the other hand, most of the time your upcoming build will be idling or facing low loads, so your average power draw should be much less, perhaps something between 40W and 60W.

At those loads an higher capacity PSU (to say, a 650W PSU vs a 400W PSU) will be comparatively less efficient, drawing more current than needed (leading to a slightly higher electricity bill on a year basis) and dumping more heat than necessary into the PSU itself (and then into the case: albeit we're talking of very few W).
With reference to reliability, at 40-60W a 400W PSU will run cooler, not hotter, due to the lower power conversion losses (usually efficiency quickly declines under 20% of the rated power with reference to 80Plus certified PSUs)
Equally, at 220W a 400W PSU will run cooler, not hotter, due to the lower power conversion losses (as it's about the 50% of the rated capacity, where efficiency maximize on 80Plus certified).

So, all in all, with an expected power draw of about 200-220W a good 400W PSU should last more, not less than an equally good 650W PSU.

With reference to quietness, it depends of the specific PSU series: sometimes an higher capacity PSU will run quieter, sometimes it does not. With reference to the proposed RMx it's partially true: the hybrid fan control starts usually around the 50% of nominal capacity, so an RM650x will run fanless up to about 330W (or more), while the smaller RM550x will run fanless up to about 280W (or more).

Said that, given an expected power draw of about 220W, it won't likely make any difference using the larger 650W, because both the PSUs will never start their fans, they both have a large headroom under any condition.

On the other hand, if you're going to compare different PSUs, then you have to take into account the relevant fan profiles. As a side note, if your expected power draw were much higher (to say, 400W, or even 500W) things would get worse for the larger RM650x, because its fan controller will speed up the fan with a steeper ratio than how much the RM550x does: so that up to 500W the RM650x would be likely a tiny bit noisier than the RM550x, and above 500W the RM650x would be noticeably noisier than the RM550x. Summarizing, there isn't a rule of thumb.

Add on top of that a good 400W PSU is cheaper than an equally good 650W one, usually, and you got some reasons to not overkill.

Tilltech

Post by Tilltech » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:33 pm

There is no reason to think that the latest Scythe Mugen 5 would not be the best option.

Scythe has a great track record for quality and silence.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Tilltech wrote:There is no reason to think that the latest Scythe Mugen 5 would not be the best option.

Reasons/arguments/doubts were briefly but clearly exposed above: «that Mugen 5 could be good, but I read a german review saying the new FDB fan has some bearing noise, so given I have no experience about it, I said the Noctua is a safer bet»

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69519

If you speak german and want to correct the reported note, or you have further information about, feel free to add your comments, here or there.

Tilltech wrote:Scythe has a great track record for quality and silence.

Broadly speaking, that should count mostly nothing: I think western world ditched out any sort of "ipse dixit" a while ago (BTW, do you remember the Ninja 3?).

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:27 am

If you have a well assorted Scythe vendor you might consider the new FUMA. I'd buy one for myself if I could get one at a reasonable price (including shipping). Running it with just one fan, mounted in the middle, could be optimal for good cooling at minimal noise if you don't want maximum overclocking on the CPU.

The reviewers at [H]OCP don't put much emphasis on noise, but they do comment if there's some annoying acoustic quirk to it. Here there's no such comment.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:09 am

Olle P wrote:The reviewers at [H]OCP don't put much emphasis on noise, but they do comment if there's some annoying acoustic quirk to it. Here there's no such comment.

JFYI our co-forumer ehume also tested the Fuma for Overclockers.