Ultimate PC build-Can you see any compatibility issues here?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tilltech

Ultimate PC build-Can you see any compatibility issues here?

Post by Tilltech » Mon May 15, 2017 9:15 am

In terms of RAM and CPU fan clearance, I don't know how to actually check that.

RAM Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000MHz, it looks like this
MBO Asrock AB350M, AM4
CPU AMD RYZEN 7 1700
GPU GTX 1080 Ti Asus Strix
PSU Corsair RM550x
Case Define Mini C, (front 120mm fan will be removed, replaced with two Dynamic X2 GP-14)
CPU cooler NOCTUA NH-D15S
SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB

I'm still not sure about the RAM situation, this MBO has 2 slots, the Corsair is one stick, but I plan to put another one later, so totaling to 32GB for Maya). So will it be compatible at that frequency, as it is not listed? And what about the dual channel thing, I remember having troubles 5 years ago because of it.

CA_Steve

Re: Ultimate PC build-Can you see any compatibility issues h

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am

Noctua spec page. 32mm RAM clearance with 140mm fan. Standard DDR4 RAM height is 31mm plus whatever heatspreader is added. So, it'll be close. The good news is the cooler is 160mm high and your case supports 168-170mm. So, you could get the few mm you might need by scootching the fan upward a bit.

AMD/etc are still updating mobo BIOS at a rapid pace for better/higher speed RAM compatibility. I'd stick to the mobo mfgr's QVL.

Some other mobo comments:
- There will be a performance hit running single channel RAM for apps that are memory intensive...I'd think Maya runs into that category.
- Don't know how important mobo audio is to you...this is an older audio codec.
- Realtek LAN....I prefer Intel.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon May 15, 2017 11:25 am

I would wait for Ryzen 9 and seems intel is reacting with the i9, seems we are going to get some monster cpus late this year.
CA_Steve wrote:Some other mobo comments:
- There will be a performance hit running single channel RAM for apps that are memory intensive...I'd think Maya runs into that category.
- Don't know how important mobo audio is to you...this is an older audio codec.
- Realtek LAN....I prefer Intel.
The problem is he wants micro atx, most of the motherboards on micro atx from AM4 are B350, and usually come with more value oriented components, if he were to accept ATX, the Taichi has intel nic and realtec alc1220, among other things.
Last edited by Abula on Mon May 15, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tilltech

Post by Tilltech » Mon May 15, 2017 11:29 am

CA_Steve wrote: - There will be a performance hit running single channel RAM for apps that are memory intensive..
It is dual channel but would a single stick work?

And later I put another identical stick..

As for MBO, which one would you recommend?
Asus mATX boards have only one case chassis fan slot.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon May 15, 2017 11:38 am

Tilltech wrote:Asus mATX boards have only one case chassis fan slot.
If you like Asus, there are ways to work out the lack of headers, for example i use a lot the Criotech PWM fan splitter, allows you to control 4 fans with the same header, recommended you buy the same fans or similar in operation.

Tilltech

Post by Tilltech » Mon May 15, 2017 11:53 am

CA_Steve wrote:Noctua spec page. 32mm RAM clearance with 140mm fan. Standard DDR4 RAM height is 31mm plus whatever heatspreader is added
Based on this image I think it should be OK unless the height is counted for un-slotted RAM?

LOL, just checked all G-Skill models, they are all 44mm height..Kingston has all 42.2mm, so I guess the height for the CPU fan must be counted for slotted RAM?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Having just 1mm of clearance means that even with these sticks, the fan would be very close - unless the fan can be shifted slightly?

I think though, that heat spreaders on RAM are largely decorative.

Edit: the SPCR review shows the clearance:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1395-page3.html

If the fan has a bit of clearance at the top, then the clips can be attached to the heatsink higher up to give clearance over the RAM heat spreaders.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Abula: <shrugs> Too much stuff flying around on separate threads for me to keep track of. :)

Yes. A single stick will work.

Yes. Even though the clearance is tight you can move the fan up.

Tilltech

Post by Tilltech » Mon May 15, 2017 12:35 pm

If it can fit that giant fan, then it can probably fit D15S-

Tilltech

Post by Tilltech » Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 am

So, has anyone been able to find 16GB 3000GHZ sticks, that, although not on the official list, are unofficially working?

I also read somewhere that sticks with XMP label are specifically designed for Intel, and are not even supposed to work with AM4 platform.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 16, 2017 6:45 am

Tilltech wrote:I also read somewhere that sticks with XMP label are specifically designed for Intel, and are not even supposed to work with AM4 platform.
Sounds like internet bullshit. Got a link?

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 16, 2017 6:55 am

Tilltech wrote:So, has anyone been able to find 16GB 3000GHZ sticks, that, although not on the official list, are unofficially working?

I also read somewhere that sticks with XMP label are specifically designed for Intel, and are not even supposed to work with AM4 platform.
Again try to go by the QV List, speeds are not guaranteed ever, only guarantee is 2133 on ddr4, higher than that will depend on the memory and specially on the motherboard support, so its best to go with something that has been already tested and ran on it.

I would venture a little more and try to check user reviews of the the motherboard, this is what i do with server motherboards, there are users that post what memery they used, and if you are lucky the link or sku of the it. With intel i still recommend to go with qv list, but more with amd since the support for am4 platform is an outgoing task for motherboard manufacturers, i feel in a few months it will be much better, but this is the life of early adoption, so to cover your back, try to go safe on the memory.

As a side note, i was reading Guru3d Ryzen 1600 review, and the last page has Ram mention,
In general on Ryzen you can expect up to 3200 MHz (without BCLK-OC) with Samsung B-Die, up to 2933 MHz (without BCLK-OC) with Samsung E-Die.

3000 MHz CL15 & 3200 MHz CL16 are special cases because multiple subtiming versions exist (e.g. CL16-16-16-36 & CL16-18-18-38).
Entries marked with * indicate that you may get Samsung or Hynix IC, both variants exist with the same model number.