Computer shop qualifications?

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

hbm55

Computer shop qualifications?

Post by hbm55 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:59 pm

I can't find a more appropriate index topic for my immediate concerns. Here goes, anyway...

I am having my new "silent" computer being built by a shop. The people who advise and otherwise fill the shoes of salesmen and customer assistance appear to be very knowledgeable. My computer was to be ready today, however, isn't. It was the trip, discussion with the tech building my system, and to me odd procedures that has me concerned. This is a popular, mom-pop shop in a large metro area - Seattle, WA.

The first thing I noticed was the display model (Antec p150) was an empty spot on the shelf. I guess it is mine now. Should I insist on a display model reduction in price?

Up to now there is no unit price for components. It was a bid I agreed to, and I will honor their tax and minor difference from Newegg. Do I insist on an itemized bill of sale for a one-year warrantied machine? I still need to register parts for mfr. warrantys.

The following are technician concerns. Qualifications.

I was working on building from an empty case, then changed to the p150 with a power supply. The work order had the separate PSU scratched out. My partial job had the separate PSU installed. This is background info. The Neo HE will go back into the case.

The tech asked me which hard drive to install the OS on. It has a 74gb 10k Raptor and 200gb 7200rpm storage drive that cost nearly half as much as the Raptor. He might have had a senior moment but is much younger than me; or, could have been flustered by 4pm, Friday desperation.

Should I give benefit of doubt for the above mistakes? I do intend to go through every component - and at that time may likely return to SPCR for help - and basically train myself to build the computer.

Or, are my worries warranted? Is there a good link to review "How to Make Certain a System is Correctly Built" ???

Thanks,
Bruce (Bumbling Buzz-buster)

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:23 am

1st off- display reductions are usually at the managers' discretion, so unless there was a dent of scratch you'd be lucky (or unless they screwed you for the other components).

2nd- Absolutely. Ask for details of everything, you would also need the individual instruction books, all accessories that came with the components, even the packaging. You paid for it, you deserve the spare leads! I once had some local-yokels try to pass off a 3GB HDD as 30GB, you should check the spec for the entire system (including all fans, coolers etc.) against the itemised bill.

3rd- You can probably let this one slide. For a silent PC, the Raptor will probably be louder than even a cheap HDD unless they're suspending them for you.

Finally- "How to make certain a system is correctly built?" Simple. Genius, really.
Have them demo it for you, in a quiet room.
If you can hear it, take off 5% for every excuse they give. Pretty soon they'll want more time to "finish it off for you" :wink:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:45 am

The tech asked me which hard drive to install the OS on. It has a 74gb 10k Raptor and 200gb 7200rpm storage drive that cost nearly half as much as the Raptor. He might have had a senior moment but is much younger than me; or, could have been flustered by 4pm, Friday desperation.
In my view, this is just making sure that the PC is built exactly according to the customer's specifications; remember, when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME. One could reasonably assume that the Raptor would be the system drive, but in a silent PC that assumption isn't always valid.
"How to Make Certain a System is Correctly Built" ???
Well if the machine is stable and fully functional that's a pretty good sign, also if all temps are within tolerances. If they promised to build you a "silent" computer you may have a case if you don't consider it meets that criteria, but noise is a very subjective thing.

hbm55

Shop qualifications - continuing saga....

Post by hbm55 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:44 pm

Thanks, for the comments. But first:

Let's see, .... I was to pickup the computer Friday evening and it wasn't ready. The Neo HE had been pulled and a different PSU installed. At the time it was an admitted mistake by the shop.

Saturday, it still had the other PSU; the HE was "toasted" overnight under "burn". The specified board, Asus P5LD2, wasn't compatible with dual core chips, Intel 930. It had an MSI which won't support Windows 98/ME. I let it sit until today. There is no compatibility problems with the Asus board.

This morning, I explained as much, and I did not want to replace the Neo HE that came with the Antec p150.

This afternoon, the Asus board was "ok" but the Neo wouldn't work; "blue screen" was the diagnosis. "That's fine. I'll just send it in to Antec for a replacement. Put some cheap 300w thing in....."

The response was faltering, the first from this [good] salesman. "We tested it on another board. It just wouldn't work on your machine." He gave up and went on to the replacement PSU.

"You gotta have 500w for dual core chips. We'll put in a good one for $50 bucks and credit the $125 Enermax."

I don't need that much wattage. I told him, but really didn't want to get into VISA disputes, and he had to know his "stories" were getting all messed up by this point. I mean, how many PSU's can you put into your own machine at one time? For that matter, how can a dead PSU cause the dreaded "blue screen", then work fine on another board?

Regarding silent. Silence was my interest, not theirs. I'll take care of the noise when the machine is in my hands.

This has been interesting......

Bruce, bumbling buzz buster in Seattle. Specifically, Southcenter.

mg1394

Post by mg1394 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:13 pm

Consider doing both the shop and yourself a favor and decline to take the maching, then take your business elsewhere. First, why aren't you building the machine yourself - if you know exactly what you want and how you want it done, just do it. Second, you clearly are uneasy/unhappy with the shop you selected - you aren't going to be a satisfied customer no matter what they do or don't do.

hbm55

Post by hbm55 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:22 pm

[Consider doing both the shop and yourself a favor and decline to take the maching, then take your business elsewhere. ]

This would be a wonderful option, but for a couple sticky items. They were paid. Yes, rip me to pieces!! Second, other parts from their shop - for my own build - preceded the order and are in the machine now. It is very close to what I specified, at this point.

I messed up two attempts to build an external storage drive prior to making my decision to have the machine built by others. My son is not pleased with me - I think he feels slighted - for me not asking his and friends' help. He knows all about video cards, too [subtle joke]. I built the external drive yesterday, and it works great.

Bruce, [/quote]