IBM ThinkPad T40

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tyrdium

IBM ThinkPad T40

Post by Tyrdium » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:19 am

First post! :P

Anywho, I've got a T40 that I've been using for a year or so (1.5 P-M, 512 MB DDR, 40 GB HD, DVD-ROM/CD-RW, Radeon 7500 mobility, 14.1" 1024x768). The cooling fan remains off most of the time, but it can be somewhat noisy when it spins up. The hard drive is fairly quiet, but it makes a slight hissing noise when spun up.

Other things... Best keyboard I've used in a laptop, and typical IBM build quality. Hell, it's even got a little LED above the display you can turn on that shines onto the keyboard. :D

Battery life is very good (I've had 4 hours, easily), and the combo drive, while not all that quiet, works fairly well. It's fairly light, too, at about 4 or 5 pounds (IIRC). Oh, and the IBM Predesktop Area (i.e., uberfancy BIOS) is useful for various things, like diagnostics. 'tis a great laptop, and the current T42 should be just as good.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:29 pm

i was thinking of getting a IBM, espcially since the price will be dropping because of the T43, but then i saw the screen. It has to be the dullest screen ever. It is ever worst then Ibook/powerbook from MAC.

I really think in this day and age, the screen of any LCD should be bright and sharp.
i dunno, maybe i am to spoil by my 2001FP, The 2001FP is not even that bright compared to new LCD, but the text is fantasic.

~RaNDoM