Acer 292LCi

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Acer 292LCi

Post by Likif » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:36 am

For what it's worth...

having gone through, um, four or five different laptops the past four years due to theft, manhandling and various incompatibilities, I can say that my current model, the Acer Travelmate 292LCi, featuring a 1.5 Centrino, is an amazingly quiet laptop, and this is under full load.

I use it for making music. It's actually so quiet I don't have a problem using it for recording in the same room.

Don't think they make it anymore, though. :?

I previously had an Acer with an AMD athlon-mobile, which was far far too noisy for comfort.

fouster

HOW QUIET?????

Post by fouster » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:06 pm

How quiet do you mean because I'm looking for a silent laptop .
I want it so quiet that when I'm in the same roon at night and I'm sleeping
and the laptop is in full load , not to understand if the laptop is on or off?? :wink:

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:14 am

You could definitely sleep in the same room, and this is under 100% load, not just turned on. I record stuff with my condenser mic, which picks up anything, and I mean anything, in the same room. It picks up a gurgling belly, for example...and the noise this laptop makes is below the threshold of what I wouldn't accept on a recording.

Tell you what. I'll go run Prime95 on it right now, and report back.

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:45 am

Ok, running Prime95 the fan ramps up from off to lowest speed setting about half the time. In this mode it's not silent, but it is quiet, especially relative to other laptops I've tried. It then stops after a little while.

I would say it sounds like the Zalman 7000 at 12 volt.

Running my audio stuff the fan never ramps up, curiously. I suppose the audio apps doesn't stress the CPU as much as Prime95.