Laptop for the tropics

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Palindroman

Laptop for the tropics

Post by Palindroman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:18 am

A friend of mine asked me to look for a laptop for his father who lives in Southern India (Tamil Nadu). It can get very hot and moist over there, with those monsoons and all. Recently I advised someone else to buy a Toshiba Satellite L30-10T, but over here it's much cooler. Do people in South-East Asia use the same stuff as 'we' do, or are the laptops/desktops over there more adjusted to the conditions? Is there something I should look out for or just let that friend buy a simple laptop and take it with him when he visits his father?

Hmm, now that I'm thinking of it, it would be much better to buy a laptop there. Bangalore isn't that far away from Tamil Nadu. It's a bit silly to buy a laptop here that was flown in from China and then take it back by plane to India.

Looks like the answer was in the question. Thanks, everyone! :lol:

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:39 am

It turned out that Lenovo recently opened a factory in Pondicherry, 10 miles from where my friend's father is living. B)

But now that he doesn't have to take anything with him by plane he's considering buying a desktop. That would be better than a laptop considering the heat and humidity, right?

I remember an article here on SPCR for a PC to Thailand. I'll re-read that one.

ilkkak

Post by ilkkak » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:53 am

Just because the stuff is made there, doesn't mean availablity or prices are great. They can be, of course, but there is no guarantee. So check ahead.

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:13 am

I work in a group that has visiting engineers from Bangalore, and they are frequently buying laptops here before they head home. I believe mostly because the prices are better in the USA. They do need to be careful that the power adapter is one that will work in India with just a cheap, standard AC power cable change change.

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:26 pm

if anything, you will need to get hold of a decent ups with line conditioning as
from my experience the electricity supplies in India are far from clean (free from spikes and brown-outs).