F**ked Up CPU Socket -- Any Fix??

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DrJ

F**ked Up CPU Socket -- Any Fix??

Post by DrJ » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:06 pm

Alright, I screwed up. I was bringing up a low-end dual Prestonia Xeon workstation, and I lost the second CPU. I bent some pins when I put in the CPU, and I paid for it, I guess.

In any event, the socket (standard 604-pin) no longer operates: it is frozen in place, and the top is full of bubbles (from the heat). I presume it is frozen because similar melting of plastic happened on between the top and bottom plates.

Is it possible to fix the socket, or is this socket toast? There seems to be no non-destructive way to take it apart, but if this would kills the MB socket then I will take the dremel to it and see what I can do.

FWIW, the board is an IBM relabel of the MSI Master LS2, an Intel E7505-based dual board. Once the bad CPU was removed, the first one worked fine, so there is a reasonable hope that the board would work properly if the socket is fixed. The socket itself is an AMP part.

Any words of wisdom?

DrJ

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:37 am

You could probably fix it if you had a replacement plastic socket... but I don't know if it's even possible to order individual montherboard parts.

qdemn7

Post by qdemn7 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:49 am

Contact MSI to see if they would fix it, and how much they would charge.

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:17 pm

MSI refused to service the board, because the OEMed it to IBM. It seems silly to contact IBM to receive a board that they send to MSI, and the reverse when they are done. But that's how it is.