BE-2350 whine

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Palindroman

BE-2350 whine

Post by Palindroman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:58 am

I'm not 100% sure but I think my BE-2350 is making a whining sound at startup, or rather a short screeching whine, a bit like a small parrot. I installed it on the mobo about two months ago, tested and then left it in a half open box. The thing is the air is very moist where I live and I'm a bit afraid that it had some kind of effect. If the 'screeching whine' would only occur at startup I could live with it (that is, I could probably convince my client for whom I'm building this system not to pay attention to it), but the thing is that every now and then it all of a sudden starts again. For instance when plugging my USB mouse into a port, or worse even: When in Ubuntu I opened a window for 'Add/Remove Programs' it wouldn't stop until I closed the window again.

My setup:

GA-M61PM-S2
AMD X2 BE-2350
1 x 1024 MB Ram
Toshiba 2.5" GSX 120 GB
Samsung SH-S203B

Anyone have any idea on how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:20 am

Are you really truly sure the noise is coming from the processor? :shock:

I've never heard of such a thing. I mean, maybe it's the VRM components, the PSU, or.... but the CPU???

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am

I have similar thing only when I boot up. But I think its the Optical drive... Although I get that noise only boot-up and occured after I changed optical. Which happends to be same as you have...

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:47 am

MikeC wrote:Are you really truly sure the noise is coming from the processor? :shock:

I've never heard of such a thing. I mean, maybe it's the VRM components, the PSU, or.... but the CPU???
No, I'm not sure at all. It's hard to pinpoint a sound with all those components close together. :)

I did swap the PicoPSU for another one, so that can't be it. I thought it was LAN port for a while but it just didn't make sense. What really freaked me out though was the example I described: I open this window in Ubuntu (Add/Remove programs) and the sound is continuous.

It's a very weird question, I know. I'll try some more things tomorrow, starting by taking out everything from the case again, try a PCI network card, listen real closely to the Samsung optical drive (thanks, thejamppa!) and of course say nice things to the motherboard to make it feel at home.

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:15 am

Well, I was just about to write I didn't hear the sound today (except for half a second at startup) when suddenly I heard it again. Funny moment, hehe.

I took all the stuff out of the case this morning, but still couldn't pinpoint the exact location of the sound. But it's somewhere in the space between the CPU and the back panel. It could also be one of the ports or the CPU itself, but it's definitely not the Samsung optical or something.

I guess I'll just have to see what happens. Everything seems to work fine. Thanks for the answers.

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:37 am

This might be it: The sound became less and less yesterday. In the evening I decided to try and undervolt the BE-2350 because somehow it didn't work before whatever I tried, of course causing numerous freezes. So I gave it a few more tries, but every time I had everything running stable and exited RMClock the system would freeze. After a few tries the 'whine' got louder again at startup. So perhaps it's the CPU after all. I'm not undervolting it anymore. I've asked at the Rightmark-forum if the BE-2350 perhaps isn't suitable yet for undervolting (RMClock doesn't recognize it) but unfortunately no one is answering.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Might be a bad fan or a coil or Cap on the mobo. There's not much history of a CPU making noises though it might be a factor in the mobo making a noise.

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:59 pm

ronrem wrote:Might be a bad fan or a coil or Cap on the mobo. There's not much history of a CPU making noises though it might be a factor in the mobo making a noise.
One more thing I forgot to mention: Every time the sound occurred, power consumption shot up by 10 watts. When I left the computer on for a while and rebooted a few times the sound could only be heard for half a second at startup. I think it definitely had something to do with the undervolting crashes.

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:06 pm

You can try rolling up a few pieces of paper into a funnel shape and place the wider end to your ear, it helps to pinpoint the source. I managed to find the exact coil that was making the sound this way.

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:48 pm

wwenze wrote:You can try rolling up a few pieces of paper into a funnel shape and place the wider end to your ear, it helps to pinpoint the source. I managed to find the exact coil that was making the sound this way.
Thanks, this is a good tip. I'll remember that for next time.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:55 am

How about moving a small and long microphone near the surface of the mobo, and playing the sound from speakers with high volume in realtime.

When you move the mic head closer to the source of the noise, the volume loudens etc.

But you need a very small mic that you can easily bring very close to the components.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:01 pm

lm wrote:But you need a very small mic that you can easily bring very close to the components.
Stethoscopes for nurses, or industrial use, can be had for single-digit price tags.

The problem is one (or more) of the inductors located near the CPU socket. The ferrite cores tend to be magnetostrictive, which produces the high frequency whine.

dunsun

My BE-2350 makes these sounds too

Post by dunsun » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:02 pm

I have bought new BE-2350 X2 processort and it whines too !!!
Before this BE-2350 I was using Athlon64-3000 with no whine.
I'm very disappointed with it, as I am running completly passive machine.

Palindroman

Re: My BE-2350 makes these sounds too

Post by Palindroman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:31 pm

dunsun wrote:I have bought new BE-2350 X2 processort and it whines too !!!
Is it whining all the time? With me it was like a screech of half a second during startup and a continuous version when opening some windows. It didn't happen when I initially tested the CPU two-three months ago. I left it lying in a relatively humid room and the started testing undervolting it as I hadn't done that thoroughly yet. The system crashed many times because something wasn't working with RMClock, and that's when I started noticing the screech/whine.

Unfortunately I don't have the board and CPU here anymore. Everything seemed to work great so I sent it off to my client.

dunsun

Re: My BE-2350 makes these sounds too

Post by dunsun » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:10 pm

nope. it whines only when cpu is not idling.
Palindroman wrote:
dunsun wrote:I have bought new BE-2350 X2 processort and it whines too !!!
Is it whining all the time? With me it was like a screech of half a second during startup and a continuous version when opening some windows. It didn't happen when I initially tested the CPU two-three months ago. I left it lying in a relatively humid room and the started testing undervolting it as I hadn't done that thoroughly yet. The system crashed many times because something wasn't working with RMClock, and that's when I started noticing the screech/whine.

Unfortunately I don't have the board and CPU here anymore. Everything seemed to work great so I sent it off to my client.