What to get AMD 690G or Nvidia 7050?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Roop

Post by Roop » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:07 am

mine is still having that crazy video crash intermittently, even with latest drivers and bios. it it wasn't for the fact that i'd have to re-install my os, i'd return this motherboard. i'm gonna wait till i can get a displayport compatible card and just slap it in there.

juamez

Post by juamez » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Roop wrote:780p playback is smooth as expected. i'm having some issues with 1080p (mkv files). that might be a software thing, i'm seeing cpu usage in the high 80's-90%
Have you ever tried using CoreAVC as H264 decoder? I don't know if that also works for VC1, but you can always try. What I know of it is that it can decode H264 much more efficiently than other decoders like FFDSHOW. It even may be possible for you to decode 1080p content smoothly with that decoder installed!

Of course, it's not free. But you can always look for it at "the black market of the internet". ;)

Kato

Post by Kato » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:42 am

Well yesterday i received the items , today i put the thing together and the dam thing wont start. The strange thing is that this case has not one but two POWER SW plugs (one is red-black the odder is blue-white)plus that USB power converter for the LCD. Please someone help.

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:52 pm

Try putting the (red-black) Power SW plug in the wrong way round and see if it starts then. My case from an old PC must have been wired incorrectly because, if I remember correctly, I had to swap the plug around to get it to work!

Kato

Post by Kato » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:46 am

I took out the PSU then put it into another PC and it worked so i put it back into the Fusion and it now works. First of the stock fan on the AMD is too loud even at its lowest speed. And the Tricool fans are louder then i thought, i was hoping to just run them at minimum but i guess i will have to replace them with Nexus 120mm. But apart from that i like this case, i have not jet heard the PSU and the disk silencing seams to work well. I have not jet tested the video playback of this system , just doing the normal stuff installed the os and anti virus , updated both... This is really not a HTPC it is just a family computer connected to a 17" monitor and a 50" plasma.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:26 am

Roop wrote:mine is still having that crazy video crash intermittently, even with latest drivers and bios. it it wasn't for the fact that i'd have to re-install my os, i'd return this motherboard. i'm gonna wait till i can get a displayport compatible card and just slap it in there.
You mean your Asus M2N-VM DVI right?

I read some review about the Asus M2N-VM HDMI that mentioned having trouble with using 1.9V memory because the bios defaults to 1.8V so the system won't start, so you have to use 1.8V memory to get into the BIOS to change the voltage, before you can swap in the 1.9V memory... and if you clear the CMOS or update the BIOS (possibly) you're back where you started... so beware.

Roop

Post by Roop » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:14 am

Just some followup on this:

The onboard video card is absolute crap. It is only powerful enough to playback 720p videos that are at low bitrates. it has a bad horizontal line issue/tearing with higher bitrate files. you have to play most videos in overlay mode in windows media player which means no external subtitles.

standard divx playback looks like a streaming youtube video because it doesn't seem to have any deblocking abilities. i'm really sorry now that i didn't get the amd version.

i upgraded the video by installing a pcie ati x1900 card. divx is much cleaner and 720p files don't have tearing. i can play them in vrm9 mode which allows for external subs.

1080p files are another story. very high bitrate (45 minutes in 5gb) clogs the dual core 2ghz cpu on high motion scenes. this behaviour has only been seen with the planet earth series. other 1080p movies play well.

this is the worst nvidia chipset i have ever used and will not recommend it. it totally defeats the purpose if i have to buy a standalone card to play divx files properly.

regarding coreavc - this was awesome until ffdshow's latest release which is multithreaded. now it's as good as that stupid nvidia chip.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:09 pm

When you say
1080p files are another story. very high bitrate (45 minutes in 5gb) clogs the dual core 2ghz cpu on high motion scenes. this behaviour has only been seen with the planet earth series. other 1080p movies play well.
you are referring to the ati x1900, right?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

What to get AMD 780G or Nvidia 8200?

Post by Firetech » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 am

I suspect the main question posed by this thread has become irrelevant with the recent arrival of AMD 780G and imminent arrival of nVidia 8200.
:D

juamez

Re: What to get AMD 780G or Nvidia 8200?

Post by juamez » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 am

Firetech wrote:I suspect the main question posed by this thread has become irrelevant with the recent arrival of AMD 780G and imminent arrival of nVidia 8200.
:D
Can you explain this please?

Since I'm still looking around for the best 690G board to buy, maybe I should be looking at the newer generation of chipsets, althought they are more expensive. Are they worth the extra cost?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Re: What to get AMD 780G or Nvidia 8200?

Post by Firetech » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:39 pm

juamez wrote:Since I'm still looking around for the best 690G board to buy, maybe I should be looking at the newer generation of chipsets, althought they are more expensive. Are they worth the extra cost?
The cost difference is negligible here in Oz and the performance difference vast by all reports.
It's certainly the chipset I'm going for.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article807-page1.html
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... spx?i=3258

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Add to that:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/04/ ... g_chipset/

Right now, the only 780g board available in stores (in NL) is the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H but I hope that will soon change. According to Tom's, it consumes a few Watt less than the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, but that one was high in power consumption according to one person on this board, as compared to a BioStar TA690G-AM2 (~10W difference).

It will soon be time for a new thread ;).