help, i blew up my Mo-Bo fan controller! oh noes!

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

help, i blew up my Mo-Bo fan controller! oh noes!

Post by klankymen » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:43 am

now, due to an unfortunate chain of events i dont want to detail closer, the 5V power cable from my PSU was plugged into one of the fan ports on my Shuttle motherboard. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
well, spark, then kablooie.
the fan wont turn., while plugged into the Mobo
now, if i plug the fan into a PSU-Out, it works, aside from a scary whirring grinding noise, both at 12V and at 5V.

if i turn on my PC like this it makes the usuall noise of starting up, gets all the way to the *BEEP* at the beginning of BIOS, and then just goes off.
if i try to turn it on again, same thing.
im afraid to turn it on again for fear or killing some other component.

what i need you help for is, what exactly did i break, and (how) can i fix it??

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:49 am

You should get along just fine by running an RPM sensing wire to the fan header and just running the fan's power directly from the PSU. If I read what you wrote correctly, you just shorted out the fan header. Assuming the RPM sensing pin still works correctly, it's all you need to let your Mobo know you have a fan running.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:52 am

You might be able to disable the fan controller in the BIOS. Then you could hook the fan straight to the PSU.....or another fan controller. You might be able to boot normally then.

If you're lucky only the fan control circuit was ruined...... :(

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:09 am

lol, unfortunately i cant even get into the BIOS right now, because the comp crashes right before the bios starts :(

is there anyway to prolong its "life" for a few seconds so i can disable the fan controller, or does that mean i blew it all the way?

otherwise ill just cruise to the store tomorrow and see if i can find a cheap Socket A mobo for 30 bucks or something.... :shock: (if there is such a thing.... do they still make socket A mobos, or will i have to ebay it?)

brigitte

Post by brigitte » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:26 am

You could try a bios reset. Refer to the manual of your mainboard. However, mainboards have so many delicate electronic circuits, who knows what might have blown.

Socket A mainboards are still available, but they're getting rare, esp. in "your local store". Online might be a better option.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:49 am

hmmm, ok i found one for 40 bucks on tiger direct, and it comes with sATA which is an added bonus for me.

im hesitant to order immediately though, before i know that i cant fix it. especially because i want a whole new computer in a few months...