ASUS A8N-VM CSM

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:06 pm

Thoughts on USB port issues.

If you go to (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager> and open the "Universal Serial Bus controllers, you should see entries for "USB Root Hub"

If you click properties on the "USB Root Hub" you can select Power Mgmt and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
You can also click on the Power tab to see exactly which devices are on the hub and the power draw.

Now in my situation I have a USB 1.1 keyboard, and mouse.
Also a USB 2.0 iPod, and Cruzer jump drive

ie.

Hub 1.1
port 3 - mouse 50mA
port 4 - keyboard 80mA

Hub 2.0
port 2 - iPod 500mA (max power per port is used)
port 5 - SanCruzer jump drive 200mA

Hub1 is Ports 3, 4, 7, 8
Hub2 is Ports 1, 2, 5, 6
each port is a max of 500mA

Now I've been having issues with my USB port (specifically the keyboard) not typing characters. I reloaded the SMBUS chipset drivers, and keep the mouse/keyboard on a different HUB from my iPod. It seems to have worked 90% of the time for me.

PCWorld has an article about USB problems, and "overcurrent"
Overcurrent occurs when too many power draining USB peripherals turned on at once, causing some devices not to be seen by the PC.

You can also examine your USB setup with these free tools.

Intel's free USBReady program
http://find.pcworld.com/49159
(will basically tell you if all your software is up to date)

http://find.pcworld.com/49161
USBInfo program diagnostic
trial version, or $40 to buy

Not saying any of this info is a fix.
More like a work around.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:39 am

NapalmDeath wrote:Erssa,

What trick did you use on getting the rear 1-4 USB ports to work?
I haven't said my 1-4 USB ports work. I have installed USB port 5 for my bluetooth hub, so I can use my mouse and keyboard. Ports 1-4 still cause lagging, power offs etc... I rarely use them.

RobDMB

Post by RobDMB » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:19 pm

I noticed a couple people in this thread were wondering if a revision 2 of this board exists. I'm not sure if everyone means 1.2 or 2.0, but I just bought one of these boards and my revision was 1.02 so there is at least one alternative to 1.01.

winguy

Post by winguy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:45 am

RobDMB wrote:I noticed a couple people in this thread were wondering if a revision 2 of this board exists. I'm not sure if everyone means 1.2 or 2.0, but I just bought one of these boards and my revision was 1.02 so there is at least one alternative to 1.01.
Good to know there's a new revision, any problems with the 1.02 so far? Does it have newer revision northbridge and southbridge chipsets?

RobDMB

Post by RobDMB » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:42 am

I don't know how to look for the revision of the northbridge and southbridges? I'd be happy to if you tell me how. There is simply a white piece tapelike substance on the board that says 1.02. Also I haven't used the pc much at all - just built it but it seems ok. I did update the bios to the latest one and windows proceeding to rerecognize all the hardware on the computer on the next bootup which I thought was somewhat strange.

winguy

Post by winguy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:59 am

Source

From the above picture I'm guessing both Northbridge and Southbridge are A2 Revision. Don't know whether there're any newer revisions at this moment but according to HKEPC there'll be an updated nForce 410/430 in Jan '06 which fixes a NCQ problem.

RobDMB

Post by RobDMB » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:44 pm

You know what I apologize, my info was wrong. My board is in fact revision 1.01 and the other chip is A2. For some reason I swore I remebered seeing 1.02 when i installed the motherboard, but upon looking again I was wrong - sorry for any confusion this may have caused. Also what exactly is the ncq problem. Is this something I should be concerned about with this motherboard? -Rob

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:35 pm

I have the same problems as you guys but even if I unplug my keyboard it does not always come back. Really annoying especially since i built this computer for someone else. I'm considering getting a pci usb card. I also have a high pitched whine but it turns out it was my DSL modem. It is getting really annoying and i'm not sure what to do about that. It is from SBC so i can't just buy a new one. Whoa, when i turn my head the whine disappears. Wish i could do that with my wife :lol: Anyways, so far this board has been nothing but problems. I left it unpluged overnight to see how the P150 looked in my bedroom and set it up again and the VGA went white! Couldn't even see the boot screen. A cmos reset did nothing but reset the cpu fan. I took everything out of the computer except for 1 stick of memory and the floppy and was able to boot. Flashed the bios to 506, fixed the cool and quiet but no luck on the usb ports. Even the fronts don't work for me. Blue screened a few times until i went back to bios default settings. This means 2T command rate and 400Mhz Hypertransport. Seems to work now. I'll try leaving it unplugged again and see if it fails to boot again. What a sweet board until i got it!

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Post by Hifriday » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:37 am

This mb is so tempting on paper, I thought I would try my luck with it. After briefly testing this board for two nights, it seems there is hope to get this board working problem free, even though chances are good it will involve extra effort/troubleshooting.

The first board I received, was missing the Firewire bracket and also XP could not install drivers for one of the USB controllers (hmmm... the box looked somewhat used, maybe the previous owner accidently plugged the firewire bracket onto the onboard USB which the manual explicitly warns against?!). The shop kindly replaced the board with a new one.
I am glad to say I didn't have any problems with the replacement board so far. However oddly enough, even though the BIOS chip is labelled 0403, the actual BIOS is 0601 (which is not available on the ASUS sites), which seems to confirm ASUS recognizes there are a lot of problems with this board (already 2 BIOS revisions for a recently released board!). Both boards are printed Rev 1.01.

+ C'n'Q worked without any problems on both mb with my Opteron 144 for all BIOS 0403, 0506, and 0601.

+ No high pitched sounds with either mb (As mentioned around SPCR such sounds could be a result of the interaction between components within the system incl the PSU. I was using a Tagan 380 PSU, which when paired with my MSI NF3 mb actually did have mb squeal depending on vcore/CPU load).

+ Back panel USB ports worked fine, although I only had a mouse/keyboard attached. For the 1st mb however, I did have a problem immediately after updating to 0506 BIOS - could not get Windows to redetect my keyboard, but maybe this was associated with the defective USB controller.

* Although I doubt anyone else is still using such an old version of XP, I had many problems using a pre-SP1 release despite downloading all the XP updates. Subsequently using a SP2 release of XP did not have any problems.

* Possibly the board is very picky with RAM and maybe higher performance RAM with tighter timings is causing more trouble? I used 2x512MB Corsair Value-Select budget RAM plugged into the blue slots which seemed to run happily with both boards.

- One minus, the FSB in the 0601 BIOS is locked!! Even when set to Manual, can't move it from 200. I didn't check if it is the same in other BIOS versions, maybe 0601 is still BETA? or maybe ASUS realizes this board does have stability problems when even pushed slightly (he he, the splash screen states "stability"). I guess not a big SPCR concern and possibly this can be overidden via software.

I will see how well this board holds up when I eventually transfer over all the apps/hardware from my old NF2 HTPC...

RobDMB

Post by RobDMB » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:42 pm

Can anyone comment on what kind of cpu temps they are getting with this board. I am using a 3000+ with the stock heatsink and am getting temperatures around 41 degrees which seems a bit high to me when just web surfing. I was wondering if maybe the board was reporting it wrong or if it just runs hot. -Rob

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:01 pm

A lot of factors can impact your idle temp, but mine is 40C, but I'm also overclocked to 240 FSB.

Has anyone had luck on resolving the flaky USB ports?
I occasionally need to reconnect my keyboard. The USB mouse always works. The keyboard won't drop completely, but instead certain keys just stop working.

USB FIX ?

srbliss

Post by srbliss » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:17 pm

I have to chime in here. I think I was one of the first people to get one of these boards. It took me a while to get a power supply and other parts but I put the system together about 2 weeks ago and I have ZERO issues with it.

E6 3500 cooled with a Zalman 9900-Nexus combo, Seasonic HT 400 (not sure if that's correct - the 80+ one) Samsung 80Gb sata notebook drive, 2GB of ram, pioneer DVD burner, microsoft wireless usb keyboard, mouse and a DAL Card1 pro sound card.

Put it all together loaded the latest bios and installed XP. No issues at all.

Without the sound card it idled at 44-45 watts at 2.2Ghz 1.25v.

USB ports work fine.

I would like to see a voltage selection in the BIOS. I'm using software to lower the voltage.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:58 am

srbliss wrote:I have to chime in here. I think I was one of the first people to get one of these boards. It took me a while to get a power supply and other parts but I put the system together about 2 weeks ago and I have ZERO issues with it.

E6 3500 cooled with a Zalman 9900-Nexus combo, Seasonic HT 400 (not sure if that's correct - the 80+ one) Samsung 80Gb sata notebook drive, 2GB of ram, pioneer DVD burner, microsoft wireless usb keyboard, mouse and a DAL Card1 pro sound card.

Put it all together loaded the latest bios and installed XP. No issues at all.

Without the sound card it idled at 44-45 watts at 2.2Ghz 1.25v.

USB ports work fine.

I would like to see a voltage selection in the BIOS. I'm using software to lower the voltage.
Thanks, it's reassuring to know, that I have a chance of getting a working board when I return my current one. The rear usb-issue I have isn't anything that can be corrected with a bios update.

arrikhan

Post by arrikhan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks, it's reassuring to know, that I have a chance of getting a working board when I return my current one. The rear usb-issue I have isn't anything that can be corrected with a bios update.
Am keen to hear the outcome .. and good luck !

I'm swaying between the Foxcomm 6150K8MA-8EKRS and the ASUS. I've always liked ASUS mobo's .. although reading about this ASUS mobo in it's infancy ... worries me.

Arrikhan

MiKeLezZ

Post by MiKeLezZ » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:59 pm

I'd never buy a MB without DVI

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:55 pm

Erssa,

How did you determine that your rear USB ports couldn't be fixed with a BIOS or driver update?

I have long stretches without issue, and then keys on my USB keyboard will stop typing, or will switch keys (ie. b types m, and m types nothing).

I've been tempted to load the USB driver on the Asus cdrom, but windows XP after SP1 doesnt require additional drivers for USB 2.0.

I'm on my 2nd USB keyboard, so I'm pretty sure its some combination of using the rear USB ports, that causes the intermittent issue. Possibly when I connect my IPod.

arrikhan

Post by arrikhan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:37 pm

MiKeLezZ wrote:I'd never buy a MB without DVI
I still have a 19" CRT in the house and plan to use TV out on this box to a normal TV (not a flat panel).

Would I care about DVI? .... maybe if I bought a LCD TV in 3 years time, I may .. but in 3 years time I'd have prolly upgraded :)

Arrikhan

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:05 pm

NapalmDeath wrote:Erssa,

How did you determine that your rear USB ports couldn't be fixed with a BIOS or driver update?

I have long stretches without issue, and then keys on my USB keyboard will stop typing, or will switch keys (ie. b types m, and m types nothing).

I've been tempted to load the USB driver on the Asus cdrom, but windows XP after SP1 doesnt require additional drivers for USB 2.0.

I'm on my 2nd USB keyboard, so I'm pretty sure its some combination of using the rear USB ports, that causes the intermittent issue. Possibly when I connect my IPod.
I came to the conclusion, because not everyone is having this issue. And I don't think it is based on my other hardware since it does this with many items. It would be hard to believe all the people not complaining are using ps/2 mouses/keyboards.

jwillans

Post by jwillans » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:03 pm

Sorry to take this topic off thread, but what heatsink fans are you guys using with the Asus A8N-VM CSM, I'm currently using an Athlon 3700 with the supplied heatsink/fan and am finding it far too noisy. I'm interested to know what heatsink fans fit this motherboard, particularly whether the Scythe Ninja would do the job?

Thanks,

James

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:11 pm

I think most are using the Zalman coolers.

The 7000, 7700 work.

srbliss

Post by srbliss » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:23 pm

Zalman 9900 works fine if you trim a few fins next to the power supply, I also use a 120mm Nexus fan in place of the Zalman

arrikhan

Post by arrikhan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:37 pm

Erssa wrote:I came to the conclusion, because not everyone is having this issue. And I don't think it is based on my other hardware since it does this with many items. It would be hard to believe all the people not complaining are using ps/2 mouses/keyboards.
So ... are you taking it back for a replacement?

I'm still trying to find a stockist for the TV-OUT adaptor in Australia and I've been waiting 2 weeks for a reply from ASUS as to if they've actually released the part !

Arrikhan

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:10 pm

Yeah I'm taking it back at some point, when I have the time. It's just that taking the motherboard to pieces is such a pain in the ass, there's all the cable management etc.. and the worst part is the time without internet :o, I don't know how I could cope with that :).

The motherboard has plenty of warranty left in it, so I might just wait and buy a new motherboard + vga and sell the a8n-vm csm when I get it back from warranty. Currently I find that I am too busy to return it and I need my computer everyday and I have too much expenses atm to buy a mobo and vga, so...

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:48 pm

I'm in the same situation.
I had a couple weeks with no USB issues on my keyboard, and now the same issues, with certain keys just stop working, or switch with different characters.

Re-connecting the USB connector doesnt seem to work. To get a true reset, I need to pull all power from the mobo. Power down, disconnect power cord. Then the USB works again.

I can dis-assemble my entire computer, and then be down waiting for the RMA process to complete.

I really expected more from Asus, and I'm still hopeful a new Nforce driver or BIOS update will fix it. I'm tempted to buy a PCI-E 1x USB card and take it through the PCI bus, but those cost $55 each, and just to get around using my FUBAR 8 USB ports.

ARGGH.

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:22 am

Thinking that some folks are not having USB port issues with keyboards, I changed in the bios "Plug N Play OS" to NO which takes control away from windows and puts it to the bios.

I also disabled USB 2.0, and it worked for a bit, but after one reboot, all of my USB ports stopped working.

I used a PS2 adapter to get back into the bios and turn USB 2.0 back on.

I noticed under windows/device manager, that is you only pick USB 1.1 you get one hub, and adding 2.0 gets the 2nd hub. I left the legacy USB disabled, and I "appear" to be working.

I'm going to give it one more BIOS update and one more Nvidia drivers release, if this USB issue continues, I'm dumping this motherboard for an MSI.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:14 am

I just updated from 0506 bios to 0610 bios and my temp readings dropped quite a bit.

My PWR and CPU temps dropped from 46c to 38c and Mobo temps dropped from 41c to 38c. Atm they are a bit higher since cnq isn't running while in bios and I did some work that loaded the system. I'm also gonna move my bluetooth hub back to the rear usb ports to see, if the problems have gone away... I'll report back later.

Edit: I have the Plug n Play \OS in bios set to enabled. and all the usb options are enabled aswell.

Well it didn't take long to find out. After 20 minutes of use I started having those major "ghosting" effects where the mice lags maybe 1sec. I never had these effects with my previous motherboard. I'll run off now, let's see how much longer it takes for the usb-port to disconnect.
Edit: I couldn't take the lags/ghosting. I'm back to usbport5. After 3 hellish hours using the rear ports.

EDIT: ADDED MY COMMENT FROM ANOTHER THREAD
I have now ran dual prime with large FTT (maximum temp and power draw) for 2 hours at stock clocks 2000mhz. First hour I lowered the voltage to 1.15V, when it proved to be stable I lowered the vCore to 1.1v and it has been running stable for and hour at it. So that's 2 hours prime stable at 1.1V with my x2 3800+. So no need to worry about the lack of vCore in bios, you can lower the vCore with CrystalCpuID, SPCR happens to have a good article on it. As for my temps..
When idle (1000Mhz and 1.1V) they are 34c cpu, 34c pwr (mosfets), 38c mobo (chipset). Cpu fan @ 1500rpm. Now after 2 hours of dual prime95: 44c cpu, 45c pwr, 48c mobo. Speedfan has raised the zalman fan up to 1700 and psu could have probably ramped up a notch, however it's hard to tell since zalman fan is noisier. I started having loudish coil whine as soon as I started prime95, suggesting that my psu and mobo aren't getting along well. I had previously had some coil whine in different circumstances that I have mentioned in 2 different threads.

Atm the comp is loud enough for me to not feel comfortable sleeping next to it at these sound levels, but that it is a problem since my computer is mostly idle when I sleep. When I turn the cpu fan off with Speedfan I can hear only the psu fan, the noise it is making isn't disturbing at all. So with a better cooler, say SI-120 with nexus 12cm @7v, I could probably dual prime and not be disturbed by the noises. Temps would probably drop few degrees from the 44c as well. The exhaust air from the psu feels warmish. Remember that the psu is the only exhaust for air in my case.

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:57 pm

Asus technical support (nice guy btw) thinks I have a grounding issue.
He wants me to run my computer out of the case on a piece of cardboard, but like a grounding issue, my USB ports flaking out and causing my keyboard to flake out are intermittent.

My USB mouse, ipod, and jump drive never have an issue.
Just the keyboard with keys stop working and change positions.

However, my fix is to power down, and disconnect the power cable.
So grounding fits.

I'm rebuilding from an X-Qpack into a Silverstone SG01-E case, and we'll see if the grounding issue persists.

garmpe

Anyone having good results with A8N VM CSM?

Post by garmpe » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:36 pm

Hi,

I'm currently working on a new HTPC project and was originally going for the A8N SLI Premium. However, since I do NO gmaing at all I don't really need the features that that offers. I decided to look at the A8N VM CSM but it appears they have had nothing but problems. Has anyone had good results and could recommend this board?

I will be using it exclusively for listening to wma's, watching dvds, and TV.

Thanks,

Garmpe

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:14 am

Read the newegg customer reviews for a sampling of feedback.

MSI - K8NGM2-FID
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatin ... 6813130529

Asus A8N-VM CSM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatin ... 6813131570

Focus on the cons and see if the same thing keeps coming up.

Both the MSI and Asus boards seem to show up with dead USB ports, which makes me think they are buying the same crap component.

stupid

Re: Anyone having good results with A8N VM CSM?

Post by stupid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:02 am

garmpe wrote:Hi,

I'm currently working on a new HTPC project and was originally going for the A8N SLI Premium. However, since I do NO gmaing at all I don't really need the features that that offers. I decided to look at the A8N VM CSM but it appears they have had nothing but problems. Has anyone had good results and could recommend this board?

I will be using it exclusively for listening to wma's, watching dvds, and TV.

Thanks,

Garmpe
How about the MSI K8NGM2-FID Micro ATX? It has the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 and NVIDIA nForce 430 which is the same as the Asus version. Since it is an m-ATX motherboard, you can use a m-ATX case so the your HTPC will be less conspicuous.

Read the Newegg user reviews, out of 70 reviews there are only 2 bad reviews, 2 fair reviews, and the rest are either good or excellent. It offers S-Video and composite video as well. I do not have this board so I cannot offer any insight, it's merely an alternative to the Asus.

I believe all Geforce 61xx northbridges are passively cooled. Therefore a PC build around these MB can be very quiet, especially if you use a Seasonic S12 330 PSU, and a Scythe Ninja without a fan in a case with decent airflow. In a case with good airflow the Ninja should be able to cool a X2 3800+. In a case with only decent airflow, I would probably max out with an A64 3500+.