Mobo coil whine?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rei

Mobo coil whine?

Post by rei » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:02 pm

I get a weird little, intermittent squealing/scratching sound when 3D games play. It was present on my MSI RS480M2-IL mobo (ATI Xpress 200 chipset) and now is also present on my Foxconn C51G chipset mobo albeit a little more pronounced.

Perhaps my PC was never quiet in the past so I never heard it but it's quite noticeable now--anyone else get this?

justblair

Post by justblair » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:04 pm

I had coil whine on my board (Abit NF7) and by a happy accident I cured it.

I heatsinked the Mosfets on my power regulation circuit. Not to tackle the coil whine, but to try and stabalise my system when doing Vcore adjustments through 8rdavcore. It made buck shee difference to the Vcore problem.

I have also heard of people varnishing or gluing the coils and having success.

I dont know if my method will work for anyone else. I'd love for you to try to see if I have stumbled on a cure.

I did mine with a 6cm alloy heatsink (P2 I think). i cut it up with a dremmel and stuck the pieces on with heat transfer sticky tape.

You can also buy Mosfet coolers in electronic shops, they are pretty cheap.

rei

Post by rei » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:34 am

Enabling PCI and SATA Spread Spectrum in BIOS seems to have alleviated/softened the buzz/coil whine somewhat but not entirely.

afrost

Post by afrost » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:35 pm

glue those noisy little buggers

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:10 pm

Please please please try my mosfet solution first. Others have already had sucess with the glue. My curiositiy is killing me as to whether it will work for more than just me. Wont do any harm. Mine also made a tiny bit of difference to my Vcore stability, though haven't seen any practical benefits from this.

How sad am I?

rei

Post by rei » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:52 pm

thanks blair, i wouldn't know where to glue what though. i have quite pronounced buzzing on my new antec psu (vs squealing/scratching on the seasonic) during gaming and it drives me nuts.