S3 suspent to ram. How-to?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

knutinh

S3 suspent to ram. How-to?

Post by knutinh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:20 am

Sorry for bringing this topic up again. I have searched here and elsewhere and found some info, but it is difficult to get this to work...

I have to computers, both featuring Asus motherboards. One is a new A8-N AMD A64/nvidia 4 system, the other an older p4p800 e-dlx intel 865/p4 system.

The new system worked right out of the box. Selected laptop in the windows XP power management, and I was able to suspend or hibernate. Only problem is the blinking power LED. I dont want my computer blinking when I am not using it??!??

The old system was worse. I did pretty much the same thing, but when recovering from a hibernate, it will freeze at 100% in the b/w progressbar. And selecting suspend simply does nothing.

In my system I have a IR receiver that is powered from the PSU anyways. I reason that I dont have to move any jumpers on my mobo since that is basically to allow powering usb devices when sleeping?

I have seen lots of info, from microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... %5D;841858
explaining some registry editing, and NOT to use the "usbhack"

A Dell article telling to use the "usbhack":
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/ ... gen&~tab=2

A nice opensource thing to manage power up and power down timed to tv recording:
http://www.pvr-scheduler.de/Features.html

A nice summary at ars technica:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb ... 5560975395

regards
Knut Inge

kesv

Re: S3 suspent to ram. How-to?

Post by kesv » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:47 am

knutinh wrote: The new system worked right out of the box. Selected laptop in the windows XP power management, and I was able to suspend or hibernate. Only problem is the blinking power LED. I dont want my computer blinking when I am not using it??!??
I doubt there is much you can do about this unless you disable the power led entirely or manage to get a hacked bios that removes this feature. The blinking is entirely deliberate to distinguish between power-off and hibernate modes.
knutinh wrote: The old system was worse. I did pretty much the same thing, but when recovering from a hibernate, it will freeze at 100% in the b/w progressbar. And selecting suspend simply does nothing.
You have to prepare for the fact that this might never work. The suspend and hibernate only work with a properly functioning and compliant ACPI implementation in the bios. Unfortunately the compliance level of acpi interfaces has been poor until recently. Getting it working on systems older than a year is hit and miss and in systems older than 3 years it usually doesn't work at all.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:16 am

In my P4P800E-Dlx with WinXP, when suspend to Ram (Stand By) the power LED will be blinking (as it's supposed to since Ram still need power to maintain data stored there). And when suspend to Disk (Hibernate) there's no blinking as all power is off.

I've never had problem coming out of Stand By, though I had system freeze once or twice while coming out of Hibernate - which I thought due to I have too many program loaded at start up. :?

knutinh

Post by knutinh » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:37 am

I did a fresh XP install with only S3 enabled in BIOS, and now it works!
Really getting where I wan to now. Only problem is speedfan not launching on recovery from suspend to ram. Guess I will get there as well.

I will put a dark tape in front of the LED so there is some visual light, but not the disruptive blinking =)

regards
Knut

kesv

Post by kesv » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:11 am

knutinh wrote: I will put a dark tape in front of the LED so there is some visual light, but not the disruptive blinking =)
Actually I think ultraboy is correct and the blinking led should only be there when suspending to ram. Further I've seen some machines that first suspend to ram and then if they aren't touched for a longer period they suspend to disk. Have you left your machine sit for longer than 30 minutes or so ?

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:16 am

knutinh wrote:Only problem is speedfan not launching on recovery from suspend to ram.
Maybe a newer version or the correct setting will solve your problem.
Speedfan 4.27 Help > How to configure > How to set advanced options wrote:...those settings were applied only upon detection caused the same settings to be overriden by the BIOS after a Resume from Hibernation, forcing you to restart SpeedFan to be able to change fan speeds again.