Asus RD580 is A8R32-MVP - Passvie Crossfire

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:26 am

_MarcoM_ wrote:I think i'll go for Xpress 3200+uli, for what i heard is more stable than the SB450...
Maybe you have misunderstood something, or you have read something writen by someone who has mixed the slow USB2 performance to stability. I think these kind of false rumors are a reason why the Uli is so popular and SB450 is "avoided" so much. From what I have read SB450 is very very stable. All the reviews I have read about Gruper, Stingray and Manta reference design boards have been very positive about the stability. Still there are only very few boards out there that abide these reference desings, because the poor USB2 performance is highlighted (somewhat justifiably) and it is a big turn off for people (and therefore manufacturers). I think PI-A9RX480 is probably the only board that is based on the reference desing of Ati. The other performance motherboard DFI RX200 is not based on reference design. It is based on DFIs own design, although it uses the same chipsets as the reference design.

Sapphire PURE Innovation PI-A9RX480 motherboard is one of the best overclockers motherboards ever made. And it uses SB450. For a non-crossfire motherboard, it would be pretty hard to justify it's extremely expensive price, if it weren't extremely stable even under the harshest conditions.
TooNice wrote:Well, I fondly remember my Asus BX motherboard. It was one of the best along with Abit's offering at the time. And it still worked after 7 years, until I retired to a friend who only needed a PC for Word. I don't think she's still using it, but by the time, its probably been 8 years.
Don't confuse reliability with stability and compability. Even the new AMD64 can be extremely stable and reliable with limited specific components. And these days there are so much more components bringing complex stuff to the equations. The problem with current motherboards/chipsets is that they have problems with different combinations of equipment, but they might still be rock solid and 100% stable and reliable, if you use specific components. Imo they should be stable with whatever components you put inside them. That's why I am not satisfied.

If you generalize the typical buyers of Intel and AMD, it could be said that Intel is more of a safe choise for "wussies". For the past few years AMD has been the nr.1 extreme overclocking platform. I know that Intel has some overclocking as well (I said this so TomZ doens't have to feel like pointing it out ;)), but it is undeniable that this has been AMDs turf. Just go to xtremesystem.org and look how much bigger and more active the AMD board is compared to Intel.

AMD is also more dominant in custom configured computers, where as Intels huge market share is based on the sales of prebuild safe and tested, guaranteed to work computers by manufacturers like Dell and HP. These computer are stable for the same reasons that Apple is. I bet, that if Dell were to start manufacturing AMD based computers, they would be equal to Intel in stability and reliability, because Dell would pick up from the specific components that make it happen. The strong appearence in budget, custom build computer section and overclocking genres are bound to skew the statistics.

Having said all of this. I am not satisfied with the status how hard it can be to get you AMD rig to work currently. It can be a real pain, which it shouln't be.

Long post and much off topic. I feel that the the issues that A8R-MVP has and the potential issues with this A8R32-MVP are the fault of poorly implemented bios from Asus. Not an issue of bad chipset design.

Sparkytfl

Post by Sparkytfl » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:57 am

Erssa wrote:Having said all of this. I am not satisfied with the status how hard it can be to get you AMD rig to work currently. It can be a real pain, which it shouln't be.

Long post and much off topic. I feel that the the issues that A8R-MVP has and the potential issues with this A8R32-MVP are the fault of poorly implemented bios from Asus. Not an issue of bad chipset design.
Well it has been since some time in december when the last a8rmvp bios was released, and that one keeps getting pulled off the site as if they discovered problems with it. Two and a half months is a bit long to work out even a slightly better bios. Obvious that they've pushed aside this model to work on the 32 instead.

And as far as the amd vs intel thing, my last build was a p4 with an asus p4p800. Thing crashed maybe five times in two years, four from gaming with old drivers, once from a crappy antivirus. My amd x2 system crashes more often in two days. Been thinking of saying screw it and going back to intel even if they run hotter and are worse for games. The motherboards for them are much better

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:08 pm

Sparkytfl wrote:Well it has been since some time in december when the last a8rmvp bios was released, and that one keeps getting pulled off the site as if they discovered problems with it. Two and a half months is a bit long to work out even a slightly better bios. Obvious that they've pushed aside this model to work on the 32 instead.
This just shows how well Asus works and listen to users. Asus A8N-VM CSM has an ACPI related bug in bios, causing real problems with Linux. It's a typo of 1 letter. People have emailed Asus about the problem, they have even sent them proof of the bug and instructions how to correct it. Still after many months and 2 bios releases there are no signs of Asus addressing this simple issue, that would take probably 5 minutes to fix. It looks like they will ignore linux users in the future too. I'm not a linux user so it doens't directly involve me, but I suffer from bad bios as well. Just becuase Asus totally sucks, it doesn't mean that nforce 430 or RD580 are a bad chipset...

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:05 pm

This board is for sale (and in stock, Sunday 3/5/06) here: zipzoomfly

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

US $279!

Post by Firetech » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:07 pm

Wedge wrote:This board is for sale (and in stock, Sunday 3/5/06) here: zipzoomfly
Maybe it's just me but that price of $279.99 is OTT! :shock:
Even the $249.99 price at Newegg is still a lot of cash!!

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:53 am

Erssa wrote:
_MarcoM_ wrote:I think i'll go for Xpress 3200+uli, for what i heard is more stable than the SB450...
Maybe you have misunderstood something, or you have read something writen by someone who has mixed the slow USB2 performance to stability. I think these kind of false rumors are a reason why the Uli is so popular and SB450 is "avoided" so much. From what I have read SB450 is very very stable.
Uhm, you are right, i think i'm wrong for the confusion about "slow usb2--->stability" :oops:

So SB450 is a good southbridge, isn't it? If it's true, there is the new SAPPHIRE PURE CrossFire RD580 who sport RD580+SB450, very interesting... But i don't know how reliable is sapphire and how is good the support, someone have esperience with this brand?

TooNice

Post by TooNice » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:03 am

Erssa wrote:If you generalize the typical buyers of Intel and AMD, it could be said that Intel is more of a safe choise for "wussies". For the past few years AMD has been the nr.1 extreme overclocking platform. I know that Intel has some overclocking as well (I said this so TomZ doens't have to feel like pointing it out ;)), but it is undeniable that this has been AMDs turf. Just go to xtremesystem.org and look how much bigger and more active the AMD board is compared to Intel.
That's not the whole story. AMD is picked because it currently offer the best balance between cost, performance and overclockability. The current AMD chips are performance leaders (at least for many applications), and it is helped by its semi-reasonable cost, and good overclockability. BUT.. I'd say those are the main reasons, rather than because the AMD brand being the "extreme overclocking platform".

Case to the point.. Remember the Celeron 300A? It's an Intel chip. But relatively affordable, and capable of 50% overclock (the first of its kind). At that speed, it becomes very competitive than P2s. Extremely popular.
People weren't buying AMD chip at the time for overclocking (or at least it wasn't the trend). It is true that since the Athlon, AMD has been on a roll. I believe one of the T-Bird was a good overclocker and so was the T-BredB 1700+. But even during the Barton 2500+ days, the Intel overclocking side hasn't been weak. The 2.4Ghz P4 was particularly popular as it was capable of doing 3.2+ Ghz, which compares well against an overclocked 2500+.

Since then, its true that AMD held the position as the overclockers choice... But I'd say it is more because Intel hasn't shown much strength rather than AMD automatically associated as the overclockers chips.

-------------------------------------

Back on topic though, I actually hope that the current reported issues with the A8R32 is just bad bios.. or bad batch. I find it odd that all the reviews have been very positive, and there are more than one person having trouble with it (again, refering to the OcUK thread).I really need a board by the end of this week.