According to Anandtech, Conroe beats FX-60

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:45 pm

being able to underclock cores independently would be awesome - on either Intel or AMD chips. That's what I call having your cake and eating it!

I'd imagine something along these lines'd be neccessary for dual core mobile chips otherwise battery life would be compromised compared with single cores.

I can't imagine what PC I'll be getting when my kids have grown and flown and I'll have some money to spare (no.1 is -1mth at the mo' :) )! Now if only GPU manufacturers would get the same message about performance per watt as Intel has...

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:08 pm

the dothan numbers do not reflect the amount of board wattage draw. A good part of the chip isnt on thechip, the mem controller right? you cant factor one without talking about the other.

unfortunately, nhot4 is the standard for amd. there could be more efficient chipsets like ULI's, however, that wont happen now that nvidia bought them out.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:03 am

Anandtech have released a new article concenrning the testing.

They also redid the tests with newer bios in the AMD motherboard, new memory timings for Intel etc...
When they had originally run some of the F.E.A.R. benchmarks, they had accidentally run some of the tests with wrong resolution, so now Conroes advantage in F.E.A.R. was down to 20% from 40%, which is still impressive. When they enabled SMP in Quake4, the advantage that Conroe had dropped from 28% to 15% with the demo Intel chose. But when Anandtech used the same Quake4 demo they had used in their previous articles SMP enabled Conroe was 31% faster and when SMP was disabled it was 29% faster. Pretty wierd.

Even if Conroe isn't going to be released soon. It's also a fact that AMD hasn't released dual core processor with 2.8Ghz either, and it's going to take some time before one comes out. Still Conroe holds ~20% lead on that processor. AMD probably has something in it's sleeve, but so does Intel. The processor here was "only" a highend processor. They still have the XE processor with supposedly bigger FSB and clock speed.

TooNice

Post by TooNice » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:09 am

MikeC wrote: The Intel chip was an advanced yet unreleased model, while the AMD was a current, retail model. When Intel current best is compared w/ AMD's current best, then it will be a more relevant contest.
Agreed.
MikeC wrote: -- The comparison was interesting and exciting, but it's naturally biased.
Yes, I have no doubt that Intel cherry picked those benches in some way, and I will take the result with a grain of salt. But it is true that those result may currently be inflated, it is also true that this is most likely an early sample. If this was the finished product, I am pretty sure that they wouldn't just keep it in their labs for another 6 months. Mass production would be starting much sooner than that. So what I am saying is, with further tweaks, the Conroe will most likely be a good Intel chip even after you strip whatever they might have done to those benches. Unless AMD has something up their sleeves, if I had to bet, my money is on Intel regaining their performance launch at launch.

Note: I recently bought an Opteron, it is not the type of statement I want to make.. but I won't deny that the new Intel chip looks like it has a lot of potential. I am wondering how AMD is going to fight back though.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:11 am

TooNice wrote:
MikeC wrote: The Intel chip was an advanced yet unreleased model, while the AMD was a current, retail model. When Intel current best is compared w/ AMD's current best, then it will be a more relevant contest.
Agreed.
Overclocked current model. AMD won't have a 2.8Ghz dual core out there in 3 months. They have bumbed the release of FX-62 to computex to 6/6/6. So that kind of levels it out.

From a performance point of view it's exciting to know how much overclocking potential that Conroe has. Current 90nm FX-60s cannot be pushed over 3.0Ghz with air cooling, so the overclocking headroom of FX-60 isn't really spectacular.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:02 am

Too bad I can't remember the site, but they also did a little "benchmarking" much like Anand and guess what, their FX-60 beat the supposed FX-60 @ 2.8GHz. How's that?

Edit: Here it is.

F.E.A.R.
640x480 0xAA, 0xAF

Conroe: 346 fps
Intel's FX-60 @ 2.8GHz: 247 fps
Bit-tech's FX-60 @ default: 253 fps
Bit-tech's Pentium XE 955: 213 fps
Last edited by rpsgc on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:06 am

Greetings,
rpsgc wrote:Too bad I can't remember the site, but they also did a little "benchmarking" much like Anand and guess what, their FX-60 beat the supposed FX-60 @ 2.8GHz. How's that?
This might explain something else: why does the AMD boot screen say "Unknown AMD processor"? Maybe it was an overclocked Athlon 64 X2 4800? (Which has smaller caches...) Or, it was an overclocked FX57, which is single core?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:08 am

I've edited my post. It only beats it by 6 fps but still,...

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:33 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:This might explain something else: why does the AMD boot screen say "Unknown AMD processor"? Maybe it was an overclocked Athlon 64 X2 4800? (Which has smaller caches...) Or, it was an overclocked FX57, which is single core?
Anandtech gave an explanation for this. Older bios didn't reconize the FX-60.
Anandtech wrote:The one item that a number of you pointed out was that the BIOS used on the DFI LANPARTY UT RDX200 (RD480) motherboard was in fact the first version released for this particular motherboard. Intel told us that the motherboard was purchased a little over two weeks ago and the BIOS used on it was what came with the motherboard, but we still agreed with you all that the system should be tested with the latest BIOS to remove all doubt of wrong doing.
Anandtech wrote:So we benchmarked Conroe; we previewed it, under the only circumstances we could. Intel setup the systems, Intel installed the benchmarks and Intel only let us run what it had installed. Given those circumstances we did our best to make sure the comparison was as legitimate as possible. We checked driver revisions, we checked hardware configurations, BIOS settings, and memory timings; we consulted device manager to make sure nothing strange was limiting performance. We did everything we could think of to make sure that the comparison we would present to the world was as transparent as it could be. But the one thing I ’ve come to understand and appreciate is that the AnandTech reader will always keep us honest; many of you came to us with questions and we spent all evening answering them.

TooNice

Post by TooNice » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:15 pm

Erssa wrote:From a performance point of view it's exciting to know how much overclocking potential that Conroe has. Current 90nm FX-60s cannot be pushed over 3.0Ghz with air cooling, so the overclocking headroom of FX-60 isn't really spectacular.
Then again, the FX-60 is the current top of the line. Those chips tend to not have much headrooms (compared to lower end models).

Compare the Barton 2500+ and the Barton 3200+
The 2.4Ghz Northwood and the 3.2Ghz Northwood.
Opteron 165 and FX60.

If we use the Opteron 165/170 as an example, a moderate overclock is about 500Mhz, with a very good overclock hit nearly 1Ghz on good air cooling (suject to a good chip). Most overlock will be somewhere in between, which really isn't that bad actually.

I would expect the Conroe to scale well. But I do wonder about AM2 based processor. If the process is not improved, then I wonder what AMD will do. Do their roadmap have anything interesting?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:34 pm

TooNice wrote:
Erssa wrote:From a performance point of view it's exciting to know how much overclocking potential that Conroe has. Current 90nm FX-60s cannot be pushed over 3.0Ghz with air cooling, so the overclocking headroom of FX-60 isn't really spectacular.
Then again, the FX-60 is the current top of the line. Those chips tend to not have much headrooms (compared to lower end models).

Compare the Barton 2500+ and the Barton 3200+
The 2.4Ghz Northwood and the 3.2Ghz Northwood.
Opteron 165 and FX60.

If we use the Opteron 165/170 as an example, a moderate overclock is about 500Mhz, with a very good overclock hit nearly 1Ghz on good air cooling (suject to a good chip). Most overlock will be somewhere in between, which really isn't that bad actually.
That was exactly my point.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:45 pm

Do their roadmap have anything interesting?
Well apparently they will introduce 2+ cores in 2007, presumably this will be quadcore:

AMD Tech Outlook

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:49 pm

TooNice wrote:If the process is not improved, then I wonder what AMD will do. Do their roadmap have anything interesting?
It will, not 65nm yet, but an even more refined 90nm process.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:00 pm

TooNice wrote:So what I am saying is, with further tweaks, the Conroe will most likely be a good Intel chip even after you strip whatever they might have done to those benches. Unless AMD has something up their sleeves, if I had to bet, my money is on Intel regaining their performance launch at launch.
There is no way to confirm/deny what you write, it is in the realm of conjecture. I would disagree that the production Conroes most likely will be be better than the one was used in this test. Does anyone recall the speed race to 1GHz many years ago? The P3 that made it to 1GHz (or was it a bit higher?) initially was not available for many months thereafter, because Intel's yields were not good enough. This helped to accelerate the development & deployment of the P4. In other words, it's just as possible that this conroe sample is exceptionally good, and final production ones might fall lower on the performance scale. We'll learn soon enough.

As for whether AMD has anything in the works, how could you think otherwise? The competition never stops, it's been a see-saw battle for years, and neither party simply sits still.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:42 pm

rpsgc wrote:
TooNice wrote:If the process is not improved, then I wonder what AMD will do. Do their roadmap have anything interesting?
It will, not 65nm yet, but an even more refined 90nm process.
The rumor is that AMD will skip the 65nm like they skipped 110nm. There shouldn't be coming anything smaller then 90nm before 2007.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:10 pm

MikeC wrote:
TooNice wrote:So what I am saying is, with further tweaks, the Conroe will most likely be a good Intel chip even after you strip whatever they might have done to those benches. Unless AMD has something up their sleeves, if I had to bet, my money is on Intel regaining their performance launch at launch.
There is no way to confirm/deny what you write, it is in the realm of conjecture. I would disagree that the production Conroes most likely will be be better than the one was used in this test. Does anyone recall the speed race to 1GHz many years ago? The P3 that made it to 1GHz (or was it a bit higher?) initially was not available for many months thereafter, because Intel's yields were not good enough. This helped to accelerate the development & deployment of the P4. In other words, it's just as possible that this conroe sample is exceptionally good, and final production ones might fall lower on the performance scale. We'll learn soon enough.

As for whether AMD has anything in the works, how could you think otherwise? The competition never stops, it's been a see-saw battle for years, and neither party simply sits still.
Oddly, the p4 was made while the tualatin was going on. It came, and almost went, until someone like me saw that it went faster than a p4 and was cooler operating.

Then they made it into a conroe! I'll be damned. I dont like intel for pushing p4 for this long with high prices and bad bad bad cooling. while keeping Dothan needlessly expensive and not releasing chipsets and boards for it. Yet, now we are supposed to buy them.

Loyalty is hard to find these days. Why would you want to support the company that tried to stop AMD from satisfying your needs for several now?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:48 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I dont like intel for pushing p4 for this long with high prices and bad bad bad cooling. while keeping Dothan needlessly expensive and not releasing chipsets and boards for it. Yet, now we are supposed to buy them.

Loyalty is hard to find these days. Why would you want to support the company that tried to stop AMD from satisfying your needs for several now?
Netburst architechture was incredibly sofisticated with all the advanced branch predictions etc... and for a time it was the best. Intel must have been suprised, when the power consumption increased with the smaller manufacturing process. And then AMD hit the jackpot with the A64 architechture, HT etc... It's a good thing Intel knew to quit in time instead of pushing the P4 any further, which it could have done.

About loyalty. Why should a consumer be loyal to any company? Be "loyal" to the best product, that way everyone wins.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:43 pm

Greetings,
rpsgc wrote:Too bad I can't remember the site, but they also did a little "benchmarking" much like Anand and guess what, their FX-60 beat the supposed FX-60 @ 2.8GHz. How's that?

Edit: Here it is.

F.E.A.R.
640x480 0xAA, 0xAF

Conroe: 346 fps
Intel's FX-60 @ 2.8GHz: 247 fps
Bit-tech's FX-60 @ default: 253 fps
Bit-tech's Pentium XE 955: 213 fps
I think that the BIOS did not support the FX-60, and I think the video driver was "cooked". Here's some thoughts on this situation:

http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/03/if ... chine.html

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:12 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote: I think that the BIOS did not support the FX-60, and I think the video driver was "cooked". Here's some thoughts on this situation:

No, AnandTech went back and dispelled these rumors:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1185

In summary, they updated the BIOS and checked the video driver versions (they were the same), and re-ran tests and got about the same results.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:03 am

Intel must have been suprised, when the power consumption increased with the smaller manufacturing process.
Intel employ some of the world's smartest scientists and engineers. Increased leakage current at smaller transistor sizes (if materials remain the same) is covered in Microprocessor Fabrication 101. So no, they were not surprised at all; in fact the CTO predicted as early as 2000 that the constant heat increase was unsustainable.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:14 am

jaganath wrote:
Intel must have been suprised, when the power consumption increased with the smaller manufacturing process.
Intel employ some of the world's smartest scientists and engineers. Increased leakage current at smaller transistor sizes (if materials remain the same) is covered in Microprocessor Fabrication 101. So no, they were not surprised at all; in fact the CTO predicted as early as 2000 that the constant heat increase was unsustainable.
I still refuse to believe that, they were 100% aware of how high the power consumption would rise. Leakage current doesn't exactly increase linearly and it hadn't been an issue with the earlier bigger manufacturing processes. Even the smartest scientist can make mistakes and miscalculations.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:22 am

Greetings,
TomZ wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote: I think that the BIOS did not support the FX-60, and I think the video driver was "cooked". Here's some thoughts on this situation:

No, AnandTech went back and dispelled these rumors:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1185

In summary, they updated the BIOS and checked the video driver versions (they were the same), and re-ran tests and got about the same results.
Why would they use a video driver that was changed to recognize Conroe, on the AMD system? Why don't (some) of their results jive with other known FX-60 benchmarks?

And if the BIOS update dropped the difference from 30% down to 20%, then that hardly qualifies as "no affect", does it?

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:34 am

Neil, I'm not sure what you mean. In the conclusion of the article, AnandTech said this:
The performance picture with regards to Conroe hasn’t really changed all that much - on average we’re still seeing a bit over a 20% increase in performance over an overclocked Athlon 64 FX-60.
Your questions are reasonable, but I trust AnandTech's judgement here. They said they didn't think anything funny was going on, and based on their reputation in the past, I tend to believe them.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:37 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Greetings,

Why would they use a video driver that was changed to recognize Conroe, on the AMD system?
Because otherwise there would be piss and moaning for using a different drivers. The drivers were identical. They just needed an update to recognize Conroe.
Why don't (some) of their results jive with other known FX-60 benchmarks?
Could be many reasons, but hardly foul play. For example it could be because a different demo was used. The quake4 demo that anandtech normally uses in all of it's benchmarks was more favourable for Intel, then the Quake4 benchmark that Intel had chosen. Personally I'd have to say, that I hadn't seen any overclocked FX-60 Benchmarks on DFI RDX200 before these benches.
And if the BIOS update dropped the difference from 30% down to 20%, then that hardly qualifies as "no affect", does it?
The difference was supposedly 7fps in F.E.A.R. it hardly affected other benchmarks. Remember also that in the first test merory timings were slower then the specified 4-4-4. They were running infact 5-5-5.

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:23 am

Since we're not going to see Conroe for at least six months why get too excited about it now? Lets just wait and see what AMD has available in comparison when Conroe is released.

Kudos to Intel for those performance figures though - let's hope that AMD has competitive chips when the time comes for Conroe to be released so prices aren't kept sky-high for either company.

stupid

Post by stupid » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:48 am

Mariner wrote:Since we're not going to see Conroe for at least six months why get too excited about it now? Lets just wait and see what AMD has available in comparison when Conroe is released.
AMD will not really have anything to compete with Conroe. They are basically doing a die shrink, new socket, DDR2 and a speed bump with the release of the FX-62, and X2 5200+ in Q2 '06 and Q4 '06.

Here's AMD's 2006 Roadmap.

I think AMD will need to release their K-9 (or is it K-10?) CPU to become competitive again. But let's just wait to see how the production version of Conroe compares to the AM2 Athlons.

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:45 am

stupid wrote:AMD will not really have anything to compete with Conroe. They are basically doing a die shrink, new socket, DDR2 and a speed bump with the release of the FX-62, and X2 5200+ in Q2 '06 and Q4 '06.
Well, this assumes that Conroe is released on schedule. We've no reason to believe it won't be but then we've no reason to believe it definitely will either! :)
stupid wrote:I think AMD will need to release their K-9 (or is it K-10?) CPU to become competitive again. But let's just wait to see how the production version of Conroe compares to the AM2 Athlons.
I agree that it remains to be seen how much performance improvement we will get from the AM2 Athlons + the faster memory. Personally, I'd guess that AMD will struggle until they move their chips to 65nm because, in theory at least, the smaller process size should provide a large benefit. After the weak P4 it's almost a surprise to see Intel moving in the right direction again and I wonder if AMD will be caught resting on their laurels?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:50 am

well yeah, dothan was a superior chip to anything that was offered for years.

now its slapped with 64 bit tech, some more instructions, 2 more in the pipeline, a larger cache, and 2 running tandem on a die with 65 nm and newer manufacturing process.

it could have beat amd in beginning but intel refused to suck it up and admit they robbed everyone with p4 for many years.

so, that's why i say SCREW INTEL. force feed us crap, refuse good things because of marketing/businessdeals/pride, leave em be is what I say.

its not like am2 with the lower wattage version will be a crappy chip.

It should be realized that a dothan at 2.2ghz currently, with less mass and smaller cache does NOT run cool. It isnt super hot, but it's no venice 3200 temp wise. I am speculating that heat to performance crown will be obviously in the hands of amd still this year. Intel uses more board wattage too.

defaultluser

Post by defaultluser » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:06 pm

There's nothing fishy about the test with Conroe...Intel has finally built a P6 successor that completely obliterates other x86 processors on the market.

Conroe is NOT the same processor as the Pentium M and Yonah (which are very similar). Conroe has a much beefier decoder pipe, with the ability to decode an additional instruction per clock. The simple decoders have been optimied to handle SSE instructions, and can also fuse certain instruction combinations into a single micro-op. The SSE performance is much improved because the processor includes 128-bit execution units, for true pipelined SSE2 operations.

I'm not surprised at all that Conroe kicks the crap out of the Athlon 64...it also kicks the crap out of Yonah. Yonah was made for low power...Conroe was made for performance. Maybe now AMD will take notice and release a new core.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:55 am

As an AMD fan, I would never buy a Conroe, even if it's as fast as these benchmarks showed (I tend to believe them, since the Conroe architecture is impressive on paper). However, I do expect Conroe to drive AMD X2 prices down a lot, so I will afford an AM2 X2 4800 low-power, about 6 months from now. I doubt I would need more CPU power than that for the next 2 years.