Retrofiting AMD Geode in Place of Athlon XP

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fastturtle

Retrofiting AMD Geode in Place of Athlon XP

Post by fastturtle » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:02 am

I've got a question into MSI about retrofitting an AMD NX1750 in place of my XP1800 on an MS-6340M v:5.0 since AMD states they're designed to be completely compatible with the Thoroughbred Series of XP CPU's.

According to AMD's specs, the NX1750 has a TDP of 12 watts while the XP 1800 a/b revisions (681 series) has a TDP of 51.0 watts. :D

According to AMD specs, this CPU is identical in L1/L2 Cache to the XP1800 with the exception of being slightly slower, 1.4 instead of 1.53 ghz and using about 1/4 the power.

Hopefully MSI will give me sufficient information to indicate whether I'm going to be able to successfully run this CPU on my existing mobo and if it's a go, I'll be testing as soon as I can get a Geode.

One noise factor I'm hoping to eliminate is the CPU fan by using the stock XP cooler but I don't know if the system will function w/o it but worth the experiement as it means only the PSU has a fan any longer and I'm quite willing to take a slight hit on overall performance for the reduced heat & noise. :P

paredown

Post by paredown » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:33 pm

Love to know what the answer is--I've been looking for solid experience from those who have tried retrofitting onto a Socket A board.

I'm about to inherit a Shuttle MK35N that is processorless--and had the thought to try the same thing. Everything that AMD has released says 'compatible' but I've found almost no information from people who have tried them in older systems.

What got me started on this was a guy on German eBay has them pretty cheap for new processors. And they're claiming passive cooling even for the NX1750.

(buying used socket A's is a bit scary, since you can't tell how tortured they've been...)