Athlon X2 3800 Idling at 14 C?!?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mankey

Athlon X2 3800 Idling at 14 C?!?

Post by Mankey » Tue May 02, 2006 4:29 pm

I've had my Athlon X2 for a few months now. Typically it idled at 40C, and loaded at ~ 55C.

I use motherboard monitor to get my readings.

I booted up the other day, and my idle temps are now 14C, and my Load temps are around 25C. My northbridge and case temps however, are still within reason.

What could cause such a large discrepancy? The weather has in fact gotten a bit warmer! I checked my settings in MBM, and they're all still the same.

Is my temp monitor on my CPU/Mobo dying? Should I be worried, or should I just ignore things.

Thanks for your help in advance.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Wed May 03, 2006 6:20 am

Have you checked the temperature in the BIOS to see if it's showing the same?

BigA

Post by BigA » Wed May 03, 2006 1:13 pm

As it is unlikely that your room is below 14 C (57 F), the reading you are reporting is not possible. All CPU's generate heat, so none of them can operate below the ambient temperature of the room.

You might look around to see if other people with your motherboard have reported the same problem. In any event your motherboard is reporting an incorrect temperature.

Although the motherboard is reporting an incorrect CPU temperature, you should not have any problems so long as your processor is adequately cooled. If your cooling hasn't changed and you've been running the system for several months the way it is, maybe you would be best off to leave it alone (if it ain't broke...).

Mankey

Post by Mankey » Wed May 03, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks for the help. The odd thing is, the BIOS reports more believeable temperatures... 35Cish.

So its probally a problem with MBM, but why would it spontaneously start giving incorrect readings, for the CPU only.. it worked for the past several months with no problem. Strange..

diver

Post by diver » Wed May 03, 2006 3:26 pm

Try Speedfan (free) or Everest (pay).

14C, I wish. It is hot around here.
Last edited by diver on Wed May 03, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigA

Post by BigA » Wed May 03, 2006 3:26 pm

Does your motherboard manufacturer provide a temperature monitoring tool? For example, ASUS provides ASUS Probe. If so, you might try that and see if it reports different temperatures.

If your BIOS is reporting a somewhat accurate temperature, that's very good news since the BIOS should trigger any temperature-related automatic shutdown based on its own reading of the temperature.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu May 04, 2006 3:49 am

Try Speedfan (free) or Everest (pay).
Everest Free Edition is still available from majorgeeks.com

Not supported, obviously.

PCWizard is also a good system monitoring program.

I would trust the BIOS on this one, I never liked MBM.

Mankey

Post by Mankey » Thu May 04, 2006 11:05 am

I have an Abit board, and I tried the Uguru utility that is included, it also reports retardly low temps.

Upon checking the BIOS again, the BIOS is now reporting unusally low temperatures. +1C over ambient temps for the CPU, while the Northbridge is about +10C.

Does the motherboard measure the CPU temperature itself? Or does the CPU report a temperature? Help, I'm scared.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu May 04, 2006 11:15 am

Mankey wrote:I have an Abit board, and I tried the Uguru utility that is included, it also reports retardly low temps.

Upon checking the BIOS again, the BIOS is now reporting unusally low temperatures. +1C over ambient temps for the CPU, while the Northbridge is about +10C.

Does the motherboard measure the CPU temperature itself? Or does the CPU report a temperature? Help, I'm scared.
With CnQ enabled, my abit board reports my cpu as being only a few degrees above ambient, somtimes it's even less thant the NB. Abit is very odd with temperature reporting. the base of my HSF feels almost cool when the software reports it as being 45C.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Fri May 05, 2006 5:57 am

Mankey wrote:
Upon checking the BIOS again, the BIOS is now reporting unusally low temperatures. +1C over ambient temps for the CPU
Is this just after startup (cold boot)? If it is, then that's a believable value.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sun May 07, 2006 9:36 pm

diver wrote:Try Speedfan (free) or Everest (pay).

14C, I wish. It is hot around here.
Its a marketing trick,AMD wants to be able to keep your beer cold,Intel wants to keep your coffee hot

paapaa

Re: Athlon X2 3800 Idling at 14 C?!?

Post by paapaa » Mon May 08, 2006 12:12 am

Mankey wrote:I use motherboard monitor to get my readings.
MBM is not being developed since 2004. There should be no need for anyone to use it anymore as it just won't work properly with new hardware. There are far better programs out there for system monitoring and fan control. Try Speedfan for example:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Mankey

Post by Mankey » Mon May 08, 2006 9:22 am

=assassin= wrote:
Mankey wrote:
Upon checking the BIOS again, the BIOS is now reporting unusally low temperatures. +1C over ambient temps for the CPU
Is this just after startup (cold boot)? If it is, then that's a believable value.
sadly, it is not after a cold boot. This will show even after a reboot after my PC running for several hours.

I'm thinking the on chip thermostat may have gotten broken.