Undervolted Sempron 3000 on K8V-MX

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Splinter

Undervolted Sempron 3000 on K8V-MX

Post by Splinter » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:47 am

Hey guys, havent been around in a while.

Just thought Id let you know, Im working on the new build for my car PC. I rely on low power because of power restrictions, not because of noise/cooling restrictions.

Anyway, I dont know if Ive got a holy grail processor, or if its standard, but my Sempron is stable at 1.000V at stock speeds! Seems pretty low to me, but I am coming from the world of Athlon XPs...

defaultluser

Post by defaultluser » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:16 am

It's pretty common.

My Winchester 3200+ would do 1.5 GHz at 1.0v, and I've heard even better things about Venice cores at 1.0v.

Not to discount your chip though: that's a mighty fine one you've got. I just want to encourage everyone to buy Semprons and undervolt them because it is SO DAMN EASY!

When people wonder why I detest the Via C7, THIS is why: thanks to the TINY cache and low voltage capability, you can make a passive-cooled Sempron that uses the same power as a low-speed C7, but performs twice as well and costs less. And now that you can look forward to the Albatron KI51PV, even the small size junkies have a good reason to go Sempron :D

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:54 am

Anyway, I dont know if Ive got a holy grail processor, or if its standard, but my Sempron is stable at 1.000V at stock speeds!
2 questions:

1) what stepping is it? Most E6 chips have a 1.1V Vcore lock (it would seem).

2) how are you undervolting with the K8V-MX? CrystalCPUID/RMClock/other? That board has no Vcore options in BIOS.

forester joe

Post by forester joe » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:23 am

I would like to hear technical "how did u do it" stuff too.
:)

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:14 pm

jaganath wrote:
Anyway, I dont know if Ive got a holy grail processor, or if its standard, but my Sempron is stable at 1.000V at stock speeds!
1) what stepping is it? Most E6 chips have a 1.1V Vcore lock (it would seem).
I'm pretty sure that all E6 chips have the 1.1v lock, most E4 and some E3 as well.

However its been my experience that the 1.1v lock only limits setting the voltage in software (e.g. Crystal) and does not effect any changes made in the bios.

My 3500+ can do 800mhz @ 0.8v but I can only set it to that in the bios.

QuietOC

Re: Undervolted Sempron 3000 on K8V-MX

Post by QuietOC » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:44 am

Splinter wrote:Anyway, I dont know if Ive got a holy grail processor, or if its standard, but my Sempron is stable at 1.000V at stock speeds! Seems pretty low to me, but I am coming from the world of Athlon XPs...
I have an E6 Sempron 2500+ that is stable at 0.88V at stock speed. :)

As the others have said, I haven't been able to set a C'n'Q enabled E6 revision chip to below the 1.1V setting. The program/BIOS seems like they let you select lower settings, but the actual voltage doesn't decrease below the 1.1V setting. You can verify the real reported voltage with SpeedFan or another monitoring program.

Theses AMD chips are probably the best performance/power usage chips out there when undervolted.