Asus M2NPV-VM or MSI K9NGM2-FID

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RobDMB

Asus M2NPV-VM or MSI K9NGM2-FID

Post by RobDMB » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:37 am

I'm building a budget htpc system with an AM2 dual core processor and have narrowed down the motherboard choice to these two. I was wondering if anyone could give some advice as to which Nvidia 6150 based motherboard is better. Thanks, Rob

gxshockwav

Post by gxshockwav » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:05 pm

I don't think the MSI variant is readily available in the U.S, but the Asus is. Are you in the U.S.?

RobDMB

Post by RobDMB » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:39 pm

Yes i'm in the U.S. I've seen it for sale at zipzoomfly.

spartfix

Post by spartfix » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:42 am

I'm also looking at these two boards for a HTPC.
There is not so much info about the MSI K9NGM2-FID out there.

But a look at its predecessor MSI K8NGM2-FID (for socket 939) can be worthwhile. The specifications seems to be basically the same as MSI K9NGM2-FID. Audio is now ALC883 7.1 channel. However all the overclocking options seems to be eliminated. Look at this monster thread at anandtech:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... TMP=Linear
The first page is a very good summarey and includes a comparision with M2NPV-VM's predecessor ASUS A8N-VM CSM.

The MSI motherboard seems to be the most popular choice. It includes the SPDIF output bracket that ASUS lacks.

I also know that a Thermalright xp-120 (CPU fan) is compatible with M2NPV-VM and not with MSI K8NGM2-FID (so it won't probably fit the AM2-version either).

Some people had problems with memory and the M2NPV-VM. Take a look at neweggs customer reviews. It's importent to choose compatible memory sticks.