Core 2 Duo, much lower power consumption with older chipsets

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spearce

Post by spearce » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:21 am

smilingcrow:

Regarding your Gigabyte DS3, do you notice a high-frequency noise coming from the board? I'm having this problem with mine, and it has been mentioned over at XtremeSystems as well. It seems to be coming from the L16 inductor below the DIMM sockets (or thereabouts).

Depending on what the computer is doing, the noise sometimes changes in pitch and intensity, but it is always present. I find it extremely annoying (and unacceptable for a quiet computer), although others that I've demonstrated it to can barely hear it, indicating that it may be beyond the threshold of hearing for some. I sent a message to Gigabyte about it but haven't received a reply yet. I'm hoping that I just received a bad sample, but perhaps they all have this problem and few have reported it. Is anyone else experiencing this?

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:18 am

spearce wrote:smilingcrow:
Regarding your Gigabyte DS3, do you notice a high-frequency noise coming from the board?...
Depending on what the computer is doing, the noise sometimes changes in pitch and intensity, but it is always present. I find it extremely annoying (and unacceptable for a quiet computer), although others that I've demonstrated it to can barely hear it, indicating that it may be beyond the threshold of hearing for some… Is anyone else experiencing this?
I tested mine on an open bench which was probably too noisy for it to have been noticeable.
It’s possible that the noise is in the frequency range that only people below a certain age will typically hear. Around the age of ~25 the high frequency hearing of most people already starts to drops off.

I noticed a horrible sound once with an Aopen board when it was over-clocked. The strange thing was, when I disabled C1E it went away! It was quiet with only a mild over-clock, but the sound it made when pumped up to a medium O/C didn’t sound healthy at all. The thing died a couple of weeks later and you should have heard the sound that I made then. :x

Are you over-clocking? If not, why not lower the VCore to see if that helps.

spearce

Post by spearce » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:54 am

I'm not overclocking at all. I just tried lowering VCore below 1V and disabling C1E and similar features but unfortunately nothing changed. Good suggestions, though... thanks.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:52 am

I’ve posted these two reviews relating to C2D in the User Review forum:

Cooling a C2D with a Ninja (inc Fanless) & Katana.

Power Consumption of 5 C2D mobos with IGP & discrete VGA.