DFI Infinity RS482 - advice needed on coils squealing

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

honeymonster

DFI Infinity RS482 - advice needed on coils squealing

Post by honeymonster » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:06 pm

I have had my RS482 a few months now and am very happy with it's performance and features. However the coils around the CPU squeal... Only very faintly on stock settings but badly when overclocking :cry:

I run a 3800+ x2 overclocked to 2.5Ghz @ ~1.4v with 2GB OCZ DDR500 powered by a seasonic S12-430 :)

The ear-piercing squealing is there even when I remove all the cards (video, sound etc) and try different PSUs.

If I press the coils (with the rubber on the end of a pencil) I can reduce the squeal to almost nothing. So I wondered what the received wisdom would be here?

a) RMA the board. Even though I am running it out of spec and have already activated xp.

b) Use some arctic silver 2-part-adhesive to 'glue down' the coils. Maybe put little ram heatsinks on top (as these coils get quite warm). Obviously it would void any warranty... but would this stop the coils working properly?

Any other suggestions? :P

geforce1

Post by geforce1 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:57 pm

Try to avoid using anything conductive if you want to stop the coil whine...The things you thought about using will short out the coil due to electrical conductivity of the items in question and render the motherboard useless.

jb_

Post by jb_ » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:24 pm

Grab a hot glue gun, and squirt a big glob into the centre of the coil. That should stop the problem by damping the coil vibrations. Don't smother it, or it might overheat :)

honeymonster

Post by honeymonster » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Ok, hot-glue sounds good... but which brand is recomended for such tasks?

Surely there's a danger the glue will get hot on the coil and melt off! :lol:

jb_

Post by jb_ » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:03 pm

Any brand should be fine... whatever is available locally. Also the coil won't get nearly hot enough to remelt the glue.

honeymonster

Post by honeymonster » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:49 pm

Ahhhh, the Wickes hot-glue has cured about 90% of squealage. Thanks jb_/geforce.

I think the faint high pitch squeals are much more annoying than the wirrr of fans etc... I have now noticed a squeal from my hard drive.... *sigh* :? the fight against noise continues... :twisted: