Buzzing Sound from Asus P5B Deluxe?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bhaltair

Buzzing Sound from Asus P5B Deluxe?

Post by bhaltair » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:31 am

I just bought and put together my new computer and an extremely annoying "buzzing" sound is being emitted from what I think is my Asus P5B motherboard. The reason I think it's the motherboard is because the sound stops when I scroll with my mouse on pages/programs that will scroll. Any ideas on this one? I've done a search but haven't come up with anything.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:54 am

Does the sound come from the speakers/headphones or from the motherboard itself?

bhaltair

Post by bhaltair » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:44 am

Motherboard itself or some other part in the case. I think it's the motherboard but I could be wrong. As I said, the noise stops when scrolling with my mouse in my web browser.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:06 pm

Very odd. You should try to find out the exact origin of the buzz by elimination. See if resolution affects it etc.

Have you overclocked your board? Try to alter the voltages and see if it helps.

Some Gigabyte mobos buzz when overclocked or overvolted - I'm not sure which.

garfnon

Re: Buzzing Sound from Asus P5B Deluxe?

Post by garfnon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 pm

bhaltair wrote:I just bought and put together my new computer and an extremely annoying "buzzing" sound is being emitted from what I think is my Asus P5B motherboard. The reason I think it's the motherboard is because the sound stops when I scroll with my mouse on pages/programs that will scroll. Any ideas on this one? I've done a search but haven't come up with anything.
I have a P5B Deluxe and haven't had this problem...but my old system would do the opposite. Any time there was scrolling/processing going on, there would be a buzzing sound. I finally figured out that it was the power supply. Might want to see if that may be the problem?

sanse

Post by sanse » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:41 am

my system (a8n sli premium) also does the exact opposite. when using the mouse the motherboard does emit some buzzing sound.

bhaltair

Post by bhaltair » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:00 am

Yes it's a Seasonic M12.

puscifer

Post by puscifer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:05 am

I have a buzz coming from my onboard sound on the AN7 when i use the mouse (and some image interference on my pctvpro when the hdds seeks] but i never heard of a mobo buzzing. Sure its not the psu, have ya upgraded it along with the rest of the system?

[EDIT] If you got a new M12 its been noted in the spcr review it's got a buzzing problem in low usage. Unfortunatly it seems it weren't just the test samples..

bhaltair

Post by bhaltair » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:31 am

That's probably it, but my system is pretty high end,

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe
Memory: Corsair 2GB DDR2-800 (PC-6400) CAS 4
GPU: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Sound Card: X-Fi Fatal1ty

NARC

Post by NARC » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:56 pm

Odd, I had that exact problem with the PSU that came with my Antec Sonata after a couple years of use. Especially with the mouse scrolling - it would ocurr every time.

Switched the PSU to an S12-380 and it's gone.

SenDog

Post by SenDog » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 pm

bhaltair wrote:That's probably it, but my system is pretty high end,

I have the same CPU / Board and I have noticed that occasionally. It's very hard to hear, but it's definitely coming from the board / PSU somewhere, I can't quite pin down where.

garfnon

Post by garfnon » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:13 pm

SenDog wrote:
bhaltair wrote:That's probably it, but my system is pretty high end,

I have the same CPU / Board and I have noticed that occasionally. It's very hard to hear, but it's definitely coming from the board / PSU somewhere, I can't quite pin down where.
I have that CPU/mobo combo as well, with a Seasonic S12 600W. My only problem is that there seems to be a high pitch whine sometimes that appears to originate from the motherboard. It's not very loud, and I don't notice it most of the time.

Krakett

buzz noise

Post by Krakett » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:31 pm

I think I know the issue,
Finally I found someone talking about it!! And (what a coincidence!!!) I've got an almost identical configuration:

GPU: ATI Radeon X1900XT

I have noticed the sound clearly after I changed power supply. I've got the case on my desk so I could very clearly hear the sound coming from the case, and trust me: it is not so quiet!
And since I managed to get ball-cushions silenced fans that is quite a loud noise for me.

Not only I could hear it when scrolling, but also associated with vertical sync of many games.
Try a flight sim (i.e. "Lock on") and you will immediately realize a what a buzz-storm means. I could almost distinguish single "spark-strike" effects as my case is close enough.

What I understood so far, through different point of views is that it's due to the power supply. However the true problem seems to be associated to the MB in combo with the ATI GPU power requirements/ground issues.

I am going to change power supply to cope with that and will inform you if it works

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:41 pm

I noticed this problem since my NF7-S system.. I thought the cause of it was my Geforce 6800 card because the buzzing noise seemed to have originated from there.

The buzzing noise was lowered when i replaced the GPU HSF with a Zalman VF700-cu. After that I got a P150 case, it completely stopped the noise.

Maybe it is the video card?

I also noticed that if a game runs at 640x480 or low resolutions, you get the buzz noise.. perhaps the FPS count or something is too high.. or some kinda frequency is too high.. it doesn't affect the game.. just you hear the damn buzz. This one I am sure it is GPU related.

Here's another funny one I can't explain, if any of you have a MX510 mouse stick your ear beside it and it gives a high pitched whine lol..

tempoct

Possible fix?

Post by tempoct » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:09 am

Found this on Anandtech forum.
Anyone with this board (and the problem) please try it.
I have the board in UPS right now :)

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... erthread=y

qdemn7

Post by qdemn7 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:56 am

Could be a couple of things:

First thing:

"Capacitor Squeal or excessive loading. You're pushing the 'board too far. When you back off the O/C the noise goes away.

MICROPHONICS

Semiconductors are not prone to microphonics themselves, but some other circuit elements can cause them. One case is the inductor used in some LC oscillators, particularly in the radio-frequency range. This effect can sometimes be minimized by firmly anchoring each turn of the coil with special adhesives such as RTV. Phase-locked loop circuits can be sensitive to microphonics generated by the physical movement of the inductor used in the oscillator.

Capacitor Failure Patterns in DC Circuits
The majority of capacitor failures, perhaps 90%, involve the internal shorting of the capacitor. Once shorted, the capacitor frequently causes power-supply overload, often causing the power supply to blow a fuse or other wise fail. In less drastic failures, the capaitor no longer functions to isolate DC voltages from one circuit to another. If power is still applied, this failure is easilly determined with a DC voltmeter since there is a zero voltage drop across a shorted coupling capacitor.

...If the electrolytics are bad, the oscillation can be a squeal...

James Perozzo: Practical Electronics - Troubleshooting

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/smp ... m#smpsstsm

Second Faulty PSU

Sounds that SMPSs make
Most switchmode power supplies when operating normally produce little or no detectable sound. The switching frequencies are usually well above the range of human hearing, but your dog or pet dolphin might be driven nuts!

However, under various fault conditions, and sometimes when lightly loaded, there may be tell-tail audible indications of the SMPS's state of happiness. The cause may be in the SMPS itself or its load.

1. Tweet-tweet-tweet or chirp-chirp-chirp (sometimes flub-flub-flub) - Short circuit or current overload. This is usually an indication of a shorted secondary-side rectifier and/or if in a TV or monitor using an SMPS, a shorted horizontal output transistor. The power supply is in a repeating cycle attempting to start up, being dragged down by the overload, and shutting down.

2. High pitched, but audible, whine - Excessive load. Like (1), this may be caused by shorted components. For example, a common failure a Panasonic VCR power supply is for the 18 V zener diode across the 15 V output to short due to dried up electrolytic capacitors. The result in an overload and whine