p5b questions/concerns

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stukovx

p5b questions/concerns

Post by stukovx » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:57 pm

I have a p5b waiting for a cpu. In the mean time I'm trying to do all I can before my c2d arrives. First thing I did was remove the south bridge, north bridge, and heatpipe leading to the pwn heatsinks. I cleaned all the crappy thermal pad crap they put on there and now the board is naked.

First question: Does the south bridge get hot at all? If it does, I can install a TR hr-05 on there along with the hr-05 on the northbridge.

Second: Will ram sinks be enough to cool the pwn around the cpu as compared to the stock heatpipe?

Third: I got the wifi edition board but I dont really need the wifi. Can I unscrew the one screw holding the mini wifi board to the motherboard and remove the wifi altogether or not?

Just nervous about everything hoping that nothing goes wrong when the time to build arrives.

SenDog

Post by SenDog » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:20 pm

Not sure if this helps, but I cleaned and re-applied the NB/SB heatsinks/pipe, with some arctic silver. Voltages on the NB/SB are all cranked up the maximum and no problems so far. I haven't measured the temps on them, but I think the standard cooling is fine as long as you have some airflow in the case.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:03 pm

First question: Does the south bridge get hot at all? If it does, I can install a TR hr-05 on there along with the hr-05 on the northbridge.
Err.. did you not see this thread? All the questions you asked are answered there:

viewtopic.php?t=34826

stukovx

Post by stukovx » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:23 pm

South bridge... that thread barely mentions the southbridge. I only read one post where the OP used a temp gun and measured his SB temp to be 72c which is pretty hot. That's why I am thinking of replacing it with a hr-05 as well.