Thermalright HR-05 not 680i compatible

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeoNSX

Thermalright HR-05 not 680i compatible

Post by NeoNSX » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:18 pm

Thought i'd share this in case anyone else was curious.

> > MY EMAIL:
> > Does your HR-05 or HR-05-SLI chipset heatsinks fit on an nVidia 680i mainboard?

> THEIR REPLY:
> Hi,
> They are not compatible, sorry :-((
> For Thermalright,
> Bob

Disappointing since the HR-05 chipset cooler works on nForce4 chipsets. :cry:

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:29 pm

That is disappointing, but thanks for sharing.

Lazaredz

Post by Lazaredz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:42 pm

I have to disagree. I have a SLI version that fits on my EVGA 680i with a 8800GTX in place.

Now granted, the orientation of the tower is crooked in relation to the board (it is down and to the right of the chipset) but it does indeed fit, just looks a little odd. Also a 80MM fan fits on it just fine (despite their saying a 70mm be used).

I'll try to get a pic up later.

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:01 am

:shock: Lazaredz, please post a pix and any temps... you are my new hero!!!! can you run this passive?

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:35 pm

i hate bumping, but i'm real anxious about the HR-05 on a 680i mainboard. I'm holding off my purchase.......... no pressure or anything Lazaredz. ;)

Lazaredz

Post by Lazaredz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:39 pm

Well I can give you PICS of it sitting on the board with a 8800GTX but I won't have any temps with it for at least a week (if at all).

I have some items on the way from DD and I am going to TRY to cool the MCP with a spare Maze 4 chipset block I have. If that works, I'm not going to even bother mounting the HR-SLI.

If I end up not needing it, I'll sell it to you for 1/3 off (never even used).

As you can see the heatsink is offset. This is because of the mounting pins being obstructed by the heatpipe. There is no way around this at this time but I expect a new bracket will be released.

Also you cannot mout upward because the memory slots are in the way.

This is the tower with fan squeezed between the 8800GTX and my X-Fi. You HAVE to place the X-Fi in the last PCI slot for this which would exclude running SLI then if you keep the X-Fi. Hopefully a PCIx1 X-Fi is coming out. Also, if the fan was removed and you went passive I believe you could still use the middle PCI slot.

This is as far away from the GTX intake as I could get. Note that neither the X-Fi or GTX are being touched by the HR-05 but it is tight. Also I have the fan to PULL air through the HR-05 thus blowing it towards the front right of the case. This was done to avoid the hot air being blown into the GTX intake.

The fan is a Nexus 80mm attacked with zipties.

Hope this helped.

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:11 pm

Image AWESOME POST! Thanks Lazaredz... i've been checking this thread 3-4 times a day since your promise to post pix, and you haven't disappointed.

i can see your problem with the HR-05-sli being a tight fit, but otherwise it looks good. Personally i wouldn't bother with the 80mm fan; the GTX's airflow should be sufficient at the cost of increasing the GPU's temp a couple of degrees. From your photos it looks like you could still go SLI if you gave up the 80mm fan on the HR-05.

This leaves me with one last big Q before i rush out and buy an evga 680i -- will a HR-05 or HR-05-SLI fit on the MCP -- inbetween a video card and a 120mm fan attached to a Ninja heatsink. I've heard reports the MCP fan is a noisy little bugger and i'm keep to avoid the noise.

Thanx again Lazaredz for taking the time to take the photos and post this info (and also your posts on nvnews.net -- i found u while googling hr-05 and 680i mainboards). 8)

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:38 pm

picture's worth a thousand words; an animated gif is worth a million.

This is what i really really really want to know:

Can a HR-05-SLI or HR-05 fit between a ninja HS and VGA card on an EVGA 680i?

thanx Lazaredz for the use of your original pix. 8)

Lazaredz

Post by Lazaredz » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:13 am

Well I don't have a Ninja, but here is a look and a measurement if it will help.

NOTE: I have heard that the Ninja mouting needs some minor filiing to fit correctly with a 680i board. I have not done this myself but thought I had read about it. PLEASE find out for sure before you order or do anything.

There is around 3.5 inches of clearance between the vertical place of the HR-05 and the "bottom edge" of the Conroe chip. How this measures out with a Ninja, I don't know but I hope it helps.

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Lazaredz, i cant tell you how much i appreciate your assistance. This is invaluable information. I've also read where the mount needs filing to fit (i've also read one person say they didn't need to file... work that one out. :? a n00b maybe? who knows)

i'm going to shutdown and do the measurements right now. You have made my day (and hopefully helped one of the other 200+ view hits)

NeoNSX

RESULTS OF MY DAY'S WORK! :)

Post by NeoNSX » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:47 pm

I'm back. :D

I sat down and did all the measurements & calculations (which i think are reasonably accurate; i'm open to correction). I hope this helps someone else who is thinking down the same path as me.

HR-05 + Ninja passive = FITS!
HR-05 + Ninja w/ 120mm fan = DOES NOT FIT!!! Looks like there's an 8mm overlap assuming the fan is 120x25mm. Even if it fitted precisely, installation would be a major bugger. :(

HR-05-SLI + Ninja Passive = FITS! (but there is a huge ~55mm/2.2in gap between the Ninja & HR-05-SLI heatsinks)
HR-05-SLI + Ninja w/ 120mm fan = FITS, with a comforable 30mm/1.2in gap. However the HR-05-SLI HS is quite close to the video card.

Sorry this is huge, but here's an animation of various settings so u can see what works and what doesnt.
Obviously this is photoshopped but I've tried to get all the parts to scale.

Some other thoughts & guesstimates:

The ideal configuration is the HR-05 passive; assuming there's a 120mm fan sucking air up through the ninja (eg. in a P180) so there is some airflow, based on HR-05 review benchmarks in THEORY it could drop the NB temp to ~50-65'c (still too hot IMHO but better than the 680i's stock 75'c passive). Downside is it's pulling hot air from the HR-05 into the Ninja; making the CPU warmer. :(

Another option (in theory) is to buy an 80x15mm fan instead of the typical 80x25mm and sandwich that above the HR-05 between the Ninja. This would definitely reduce NB temps thanx to increased airflow, but an 80x15mm fan could be noisy - despite being sandwiched away. :?

The HR-05-SLI with 120mm fan is the most practical option but i would prefer the gap between the fan & HR-05-SLI HS to be less than 30mm. And i'd definitely prefer the distance between the HR-05-SLI and the video card to be greater than what it is. Having something like a 8800GTX directly below would have to effect the HR-05-SLI's effectiveness.

thanx for reading, this has helped me organize my thoughts even if nobody else cares. :D
Thanx esp. to Lazaredz... i think i'll go order my evga 680i mainboard and run it stock for a while before trying some HR-05 modding. :)

Lazaredz

Post by Lazaredz » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:25 am

Any ideas on how you are going to cool the MCP? The little bugger gets warm too. Going to try a HR-05-SLI on it too?

I SHOULD know late next week weather or not I will need the HR-o5-SLI I currently have. I'll let you know either way.

Glad I could help.

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:53 pm

Ah... my bad. MCP = Southbridge? Yes, I plan to use the HR-05-SLI for that too. I'm going to check with the store if they've got any evga 680i boards in stock tomorrow... i'll also post results.

Nice to make your aquaintance. :)

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:51 pm

This guy here has posted photos of how to install a ninja on a 680i m/b.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=431741

bshelton

Post by bshelton » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:33 am

Ive got a Big Typhoon and a Passively Cooled 7950gt. Therefore i cannot face the HR-05 towards the video card. Any idea if you could rotate it and face it towards the ram?

kopykat

Post by kopykat » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:08 am

NeoNSX wrote:This guy here has posted photos of how to install a ninja on a 680i m/b.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=431741
NeoNSX

according to what ur saying, there would be an 8mm overlap using the HR-05 with a ninja+120mm fan mounted...

but I took a look at the pics of that guy and he placed the 120mm on the ninja but on the side facing the ram leaving all the space where the MCP is with all the clearance you have as if the ninja was passive.

If im not missing anything, it seems like it would be possible to install a ninja with a 120mm on the ram side, and HR-05 on top of the MCP with an 80mm fan (dont know what depth though 15mm or 25mm).

Would like to hear your thoughts on this,
Thanks.