Intel P965: Unable to boot from IDE-CD?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mescalero

Intel P965: Unable to boot from IDE-CD?

Post by Mescalero » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:12 am

Hi, I hope this thread is ok here although it's not about silencing. I know there are a lot of experienced users here, so I figured I could get a good answer here.

I read somewhere that the Intel P965 (like the Abit AB9) do not have the capability to boot from an optical IDE drive (at least not the very first time before any OS is installed), although there is an IDE connector on the board. I looked around in a lot of forums and on the Abit website and stuff but couldn't find a clear confirmation.
Since a lot of you probably have P965 board I would like to know if this is really the case or maybe just an Abit problem or maybe no problem at all.

Thanks for your help, and sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

P.S. Follow-up-question: How exactly are you suppposed to boot without a CD? Years ago I used DOS-boot-floppies but I'm not sure that's the way to go anymore...
Last edited by Mescalero on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:30 am

That sounds like bull. I have used Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 and Asus P5B and they all boot fine from the Windows XP or a Memtest disc.

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:25 am

Make sure in your BIOS setup you change the boot order to place the CD/DVD drive ahead of the hard drive.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:26 am

P965 chipset does not have IDE support. Intel is expecting a SATA optical drive...they got ahead of the game....but all mobo's have added an IDE controller (Jmicron is common) which may require some additional steps in your build.

I haven't build a 965 system, yet...so don't have the details on how to work it.

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:48 am

CA_Steve wrote:P965 chipset does not have IDE support. Intel is expecting a SATA optical drive...they got ahead of the game....but all mobo's have added an IDE controller (Jmicron is common) which may require some additional steps in your build.
Yeah that's what I read. J If Mikael says he didn't need need to install special IDE drivers maybe newer BIOs revisions have countered that problem.

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:10 am

Mescalero wrote:Yeah that's what I read. J If Mikael says he didn't need need to install special IDE drivers maybe newer BIOs revisions have countered that problem.
The first BIOS release on the Gigabyte DS3 had no problem booting from an IDE drive.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:28 am

Mikael wrote:The first BIOS release on the Gigabyte DS3 had no problem booting from an IDE drive.
nice.

andrewln

Post by andrewln » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:22 am

in the boot menu (bios) you have to set as the drive name...ie) LG GSA-H22N.... not "CD-Rom"

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:42 pm

My P5B-VM has trouble booting from ide cdrom too. It boots just fine with win2k, winxp, and if i remember well linux cds too, but win98se says it doesn't have a driver for the cdrom so once it boots up from the cd, the cd drive dissapears and it gets nowhere from there. I've tested this drive on an M2NPV-VM and it worked fine. This jmicron thing is really fucking up compatibility.

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

To Clarify

Post by Delta_42 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:46 am

Sorry to dig up this old post, but some people might stumble across it and no-one has really answered the point.

The P965 chipset does not support PATA natively. As SATA optical drives haven't really taken off and PATA support is still essential motherboard manufacturers have put extra controllers on the board, JMicron seems to be the one used.

If the BIOS is set up right (JMicron controller enabled and the CD/DVD drive at the top of the boot order) the machine will boot from CD, however for installing Windows you will need the SATA driver istallation disc for the JMicron controller to get past the first part of the installation.

When you see the prompt to press f6 to install additional controllers, do just that and install the drivers off the floppy disc (Vista supports installing extra drivers off other devices like USB sticks etc., but for XP its floppy only so dig out that old floppy drive and hang it out of your case while you install Windows).

charger2000

Post by charger2000 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:57 am

sorry but it's not the way you've described

I have installed XP on many different P/G965 MBs, you do not need any IDE driver to install XP, but you need the AHCI driver if the HDD (SATA) are configured so in the BIOS, otherwise if the HDD is set to IDE compatibility you won't need any driver at all

Nik