Questions about Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Mobo

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jason W

Questions about Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Mobo

Post by Jason W » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:33 pm

1. Has anyone removed the chipset heat sinks and either replaced them, or just re-attached them with a fresh application of AS5? Is this a worthwhile project?

2. Has anyone used the Scythe SCURK1 universal retention bracket system to attach a Ninja Rev. B to this motherboard? Did it go okay? Or should I just stick to the push-pin system?

3. Has anyone overclocked this board using the new E6750 yet? If so, what results did you get?

Thanks!

Jason

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 pm

I want to add another question (hope you don't mind Jason - I'm just trying to consolidate the info about this particular motherboard into a few threads as possible):

Does this board support Matrix RAID?

For that matter, do ALL ICH9R southbridges support Intel's Matrix RAID, or is that a manufacturer specific item?

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:06 pm

Wedge wrote:I want to add another question (hope you don't mind Jason - I'm just trying to consolidate the info about this particular motherboard into a few threads as possible):

Does this board support Matrix RAID?

For that matter, do ALL ICH9R southbridges support Intel's Matrix RAID, or is that a manufacturer specific item?
According to the Intel ICH9 Family Datasheet (http://download.intel.com/design/chipse ... 697201.pdf) the ICH9R supports Intel Matrix Storage Technology, which provides AHCI and Matrix RAID functionality for 6 of the 8 SATA ports.

In addition, this board has an additional SATA controller, called the GSATA2 controller, which controls the other 2 SATA ports on the board - and provides additional AHCI and RAID functionality.

Does that answer your specific question?

vg30et

Re: Questions about Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Mobo

Post by vg30et » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:34 am

Jason W wrote:1. Has anyone removed the chipset heat sinks and either replaced them, or just re-attached them with a fresh application of AS5? Is this a worthwhile project?
The stock chipset heatsink is large enough for me and reads in the mid 40's with an infrared thermometer.
Jason W wrote: 2. Has anyone used the Scythe SCURK1 universal retention bracket system to attach a Ninja Rev. B to this motherboard? Did it go okay? Or should I just stick to the push-pin system?
Went with a Thermalright unit here, can't comment on the ninja...
Jason W wrote: 3. Has anyone overclocked this board using the new E6750 yet? If so, what results did you get?
Jason
I overclocked a Q6600 to 380fsbx9 = 3420. It was stable but it was generating too much heat/noise for me so I didn't keep it there for long. Various website reviews seem to rate this board highly when it comes to overclocking ability.

As a side note, it does support undervolting in the BIOS.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:55 pm

Jason W wrote: Does that answer your specific question?
Yes i believe so Jason, thank you.